American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
American Water CEO Susan Story
Susan Story

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good company, good benefits, good uppermanagement" (in 41 reviews)

• "Good work life balance, scheduling" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is a temporary negative related to so much work to do that existing employees must control themselves to maintain a healthy work/life balance" (in 19 reviews)

• "Upper management needs to come in and investigate how management is running its office in Plainfield" (in 17 reviews)

"Technology and Field"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a company willing to make the hard decisions for its customers. The supervisors and upper management is clear in their vision and focuses on safety, the customers, the employees and technology. There is clear focus on using technology to be a better water company and bring innovative ideas to the customers. They talk to the field workers and let us design the new systems. The IT group is building applications and integrating information that operations can use everyday. It is exciting to be able to see your ideas make it into the application and be included.

Also good pay and benefits and hire veterans.

Cons

There has been many changes in the technology area. I think was a necessary but it could have been done faster.

Advice to Management

Keep involving the operations people in the new systems.

2. "Utility Worker"

Pros

Great company, Great Salary. Great People

Cons

None i can think of

"Technologist"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, management is progressive and willing to take risks to advance the company. The leadership has set a clear vision of the technology future (which is unlike other utility companies). We are building apps that are unique and far better than the ones we purchased. As part of the technology team we get to implement Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and work on Big Data that is unique to a utility company. Seeing a practical implementation of these advanced technologies is very rewarding. The change the company is pursuing in technology is truly different and innovative.

Cons

There are still some employees that have not accepted the new direction and try to hang onto the old way of doing things. (Very old School) They do not embrace change and are consistently negative towards the company and other employees. This unfortunately paints a poor picture of the culture of the company, which is only shared by a few, as most others have left the company.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward and when change is needed do it quickly (dont drag it out).

"Glad to be a part of the new Technology and Innovation team!"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a long term employee at American Water, I have experienced many degrees of change at our organization. Some of have failed and many changes have been for the better. Today, I am particularly proud to be a part of the new Technology and Innovation team at American Water. For our operations to succeed we must not only keep up with emerging technology, but we should lead in technology across the utility industry. The ideas and passion our employees have to take an idea to a value added product is so contagious that it's easy to go to work every day.

Cons

There is a temporary negative related to so much work to do that existing employees must control themselves to maintain a healthy work/life balance. The company is actively recruiting new talent and soon we will be staffed appropriately to help share the load to meet the demand.

Advice to Management

Continue the path. Stay the course and the ship will reach our intended destination with unbelievable speed, accuracy and functional innovation.

"Operations Seeing Technology Results"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NJAW - Good pay, benefits, safety oriented culture, and a dedicated professional field operations team.

Seen a real turn around past 2yrs in Technology & Innovation's support of operations. Specifically the delivery of the Customer 1 View app which is giving us all a customers info in one app. Really helping with customer service.

Cons

Operations staff is stretched at times

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on field operations improvements (people/safety/systems)

"Technology is the company's strategy"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I just read a great article about the future of technology for American Water. I encourage you to Google it [do a search on KPMG and Susan Story since I cannot share the link here]. I don't work in HR for American Water. I am not being paid to write this post. I have not been coerced into writing this post.

I am one of a very large number of employees who are excited about the direction for technology at American Water and the opportunities it provides. I want to be building cool apps that leverage autonomous intelligence and machine learning. I want to take advantage of our data lake, our mulesoft integration, our kubernetes docker platform, our GIS capabilities, our new data center, our new Corporate campus in Camden, our plans for SAP, and our water quality apps. Such cool stuff!!

We are not just a 132 year old water company, we are quickly becoming a technology company. We have great employees who provide local tech support, data center support, service desk support, etc. We are building additional technical capabilities to deliver cool apps.

Cons

Change is not always easy. Not everyone agrees with the direction we are headed or everything being done to transform the company. We are moving at an extremely fast pace.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the direction we are headed with Technology as a strategy for the company. T&I Leadership needs to focus on employees, the business, and the outcomes we promised and not get distracted by social media.

"Principal Product Manager Technology and Innovation"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Flat hierarchy management org structure anchored on the foundation of a first among equals model that is fueling an energized, motivated, and culturally diverse team of professionals focused on meaningful outcomes. I have the humble pleasure and privilege of working side-by-side with a wonderfully talented and exceptional group of people.
    2. Promotes an engagement and inclusionary model where you do not have to wait for someone to invite you to participate. If you have an interest in a technology project, and feel you can add value, you simple roll up your sleeves and join the effort. If you want a purpose vs a job to go to everyday this is the place for you.
    3. Executive Leadership Team (ELT) is fully aware, embracing, and most importantly positioning the company for the paradigm shift happened now in the consumerization of IT. As seamless, user-friendly consumer software permeates our everyday lives (Amazon shopping, Netflix movie watching, Google searches) they realize business users (current and future employees) as well as our customers are increasingly expecting (some would argue demanding) a better user experiences for their enterprise software and external apps.
    4. The ELT, with Technology and Innovation as the lead sled dog, is driving American Water to be the technology leader in the utility sector. American Water is aggressively investing in the newest technologies like NLP, Hadoop, AI, and Machine Learning just to name a few. This translates directly into job opportunities and skills advancement opportunities for current employees and new graduates.

Cons

1. Being 1 yr in, Technology and InnovationI needs to continue to mature its Agile methodology execution and cross team collaboration communications

Advice to Management

1. Continue to invest in new technologies and the employees. Continue to encourage all employees to be bold and to create the future so we can continue to deliver on our purpose of delivering safe, clean, reliable, and affordable water.

"Review"

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging environment which brings the best out of someone. Management is supportive and provides continued opportunities for employees with their best interest in mind.

Cons

Fairly new at this point i do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing

"Thank you American Water!!1"

Current Employee - Senior Technologist in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Technologist in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

American Water has changed so much over the past couple of years. 99% of it being positive. Fit the first time in years I am excited to come to work every day. I get to be creative and voice my opinion on an open and honest environment. Thank you leadership for making this possible.

Cons

The biggest negative are done of the old school employees. The ones who cannot embrace change. The ones who talk bad against others behind their backs. But in guess this is the case in every company. A few bad apples are toxic. Thisa very minute number with loud voices and empty threats who should just move on and polute other places to spread their hatered elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep on improving and enriching our lives. Continue to make American Water a great place to work again. I would have left last year if not for the changes I have seen.

"Water + Tech = Awesome"

Current Employee - Principal Technologist in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Technologist in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a technologist, I am thrilled with the direction the company is taking. From the executives to our field and customer call facing workforce, the whole company is excited about how advanced technologies can make our lives and the lives of our customers better. I've been in the IT field for a long time and with American Water since the roll out of SAP and I have never seen such a contagious movement in any company like what I'm seeing now.

Every day I get to collaborate with, advise and learn from smart, passionate and driven people. We operate in a flat organization where people run in teams, some are focused, some loosely affiliated and most people run in several at the same time. There is so little friction across the T&I team, you can always find a product or platform to advance if you have the will.

If you are interested in the current cutting edge technology buzz words to work with that start with Big, Block, Machine and Artificial we're either employing them now or will be soon. The really advanced stuff is in how we're combining them into a growing set of modular products on top of a visionary platform of tools that is designed to find and solve the problems we know we have as well as the ones we don't.

If you like being challenged, working hard with team mates and want to disrupt an industry, please join us and bring your passion and skills to American Water

Cons

Still too many status type meetings. Not enough time for working sessions and smaller group collaboration.

The pace, independence and the need to work in grey areas is not ideal for people that want very clear direction, boundaries and hierarchical communication channels. Not everyone has adjusted well to the fluidity of the T&I team and that can cause distraction.

Advice to Management

Be ambitious in setting our corporate strategy. We'll make sure you have the tech to achieve it.