American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Water CEO Susan Story
Susan Story

Pros
  • Great hours, the company has very good benefits (in 31 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, that's about it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 13 reviews)

• Some employees want to make it better but management upper management needs to go (in 11 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

Decent work life balance, general company financial stability, good career prospects (especially if mobile)

Cons

Boring category, aggressive growth targets, conservative

2. "Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballwin, MO

I worked at American Water (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated employees working to solve problems.

Cons

Sometimes too much emphasis on the financials and employees and operations may suffer.

"Great place to work, but going through a brief, tough time."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, benefits, work-life balance, growth opportunities ( you have to earn those, of course). Employee morale activities are enjoyable and appreciated.

Cons

Too many org changes and too often. Never great for employee morale.

With that said, bitter employees venting their frustrations on an anonymous website doesn't help. If you are so unhappy here, please see yourselves to the door. You are not obligated to be here.

Let your colleagues get through this difficult time without the additional negativity. At a minimum, don't embellish the situation using dramatic threats. They sound incredibly stupid. This is a small IT reorg, not the Dakota Pipeline.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparent reorganization updates, like those provided in in 2014.

"Weighing in…IT @ AMWater"

Pros

I am a long term IT employee at American Water and proud to say so to my family, friends and peers. My Mother and Father raised me to tell the truth and I will always be indebted to them for this simple but foundational basic human virtue.

I am deeply troubled by the untruthful IT posts on this site. I have been in every town hall meeting and can only share my experiences: From the CEO to the CFO to the CTIO they have all been aligned in their transparent messaging that IT must transform / modernize its people and technologies to meet the new digital age and the demands of its tech savvy customers. Read Gartner, Bloomberg, and Forbes and you will find every business is facing this same challenge / journey today. The cost of not embarking on this journey is extinction. This people and technology transformation has nothing to do with outsourcing jobs to India. Those words have never been spoken nor insinuated. It is really about opportunity and growth for everyone who wants it. The CTIO has repeatedly shared the following facts: 1. We must bring core technology competences back in house and 2. The IT head count will remain at current levels and if anything it might need to go up to accommodate the slew of new technologies being considered to ensure American Water continues to be a leader, an innovator and a steward in its noble cause of providing “Clean Water for Life”. Additionally, the CEO, CFO and CTIO have all continually invited anyone to come see them personally to discuss any concerns. My personal experiences in engaging with my fellow IT co-workers over the past 7 months have been overwhelming positive and welcoming to the journey we are all embarking upon. Somehow a few IT employees have missed the positivity and the excitement of the new opportunities right in front of them and instead chose to publish emotionally driven, non-fact based, and untruthful postings. This is America and everyone is entitled to their own opinions but there is a big difference between opinions and the truth.

Cons

Every large corporation has room for improvement. Here are the major ones: To many levels of management, focus on customers, communications, accountability, rewarding high performers

6. "Great People to work with ! Tremenduous opppertunities to grow !"

Current Employee - ITS Employee
    Current Employee - ITS Employee

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to get involved in projects and grow within the company.

Great support from leadership team (CEO, CFO & CTO) to invest in emerging technologies and build in-house advanced technical skill set.

New CTO driving big effort to build synergy between IT and business.

Great benefits (Health, 401K, PTO etc.)

Training opportunities to advance your skill set

Work from home option

Cons

Goal evaluation criteria changes almost each year.
    Communication across company could be improved.

Advice to Management

AW employees and culture are this company's biggest asset. Keep investing in those.

7. "Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Greenwood, IN
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Greenwood, IN

I worked at American Water as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are approachable and have an open door policy where you can walk in any time to talk to them.
    Pays quite well for an intern

Cons

Relatively drab work, learned a lot about how the company works but not much engineering knowledge

Advice to Management

Maybe start a mentorship program for interns so they can gain more knowledge from lower level employees

8. "Good Company"

Pros

Great company to work for. Long career opportunities, chance for advancement, many options, great benefits.

Cons

No cons at the moment.

Advice to Management

None

"only to keep access to the site"

Pros

Good salary. Benefits for exempt employees are good because there are a lot of exempt union workers.

Cons

Excruciating goals and career development process gets revised year after year with no improvement

10. "Great time to join the technology team"

Pros

Raising the bar for technology for our customers. Turned focus from run and maintain to innovation and speed to market. Take negative reviews with a grain of salt, as there will always be people who take change personally. Excellent company, excellent people, excellent future.

Cons

Performance review process admittedly doesn't make sense to management and some leadership. Until leadership spends time helping in the process and working with employees on their goals, it will never really connect with our strategic goals.

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation is lacking at times. Put some of the safety focus into employee appreciation, we focus plenty on safety already. We're in good shape, don't take the bad reviews to heart.

11. "Glass is half full not empty"

I have been working at American Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, most are intelligent. Challenging job in a good way. Busy and fast paced at times. Good pay, time off and you use your brain. Not for you if you want to coast in a role.

Cons

Drama, which if you stay out of is for your benefit.

Advice to Management

More work life balance programs.