American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

American Water Reviews

Updated February 2, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great hours, the company has very good benefits (in 30 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, that's about it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management does not care about you (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great People to work with ! Tremenduous opppertunities to grow !"

Current Employee - ITS Employee
    Current Employee - ITS Employee

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to get involved in projects and grow within the company.

Great support from leadership team (CEO, CFO & CTO) to invest in emerging technologies and build in-house advanced technical skill set.

New CTO driving big effort to build synergy between IT and business.

Great benefits (Health, 401K, PTO etc.)

Training opportunities to advance your skill set

Work from home option

Cons

Goal evaluation criteria changes almost each year.
    Communication across company could be improved.

Advice to Management

AW employees and culture are this company's biggest asset. Keep investing in those.

2. "Current Employee"

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good People
    Employee Engagement in Volunteering
    People really do care about the company and customer.

Cons

Improve employee trainging to develop skills. Better cross training and mentoring.
    Many changes In Staff
    Lack of communication across business

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees one on one more often. Listen to your employees more often. Communicate with your customers internally more often.
    Recognize Individual performance and accomplishments.

3. "Csr"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Alton, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Alton, IL

Pros

Great training program, good benefits and pay after first move

Cons

Union base job for call center

"You have got to me kidding me...."

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

Its a job and there will be opportunties for some folks in the organization. However it is a case of buyer beware. In evaluating opportunities with AW, it is best to enter with eyes open.

Cons

Seeing a lot of posts recently that are reputably written by internal employees, however they have the smell of a HR commercial. The reality is the ITS organization is badly led, has been badly led, and , in all likelihood, will continue to be badly led in the future. There are some opportunities to be had to be true, however the strategic direction is towards outsourcing the IT operations no matter which way someone tries to spin it.

Advice to Management

Its going to take more than having the HR organization write reviews on Glassdoor trying to spin the situation. Quite frankly, the organiation would be much better served by taking a long hard look in the mirror and stop wasting everyones time by writing fan fiction.

"IT Staff"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home option great! Very safety oriented. Nice people to work with and a lot of in house activities.

Cons

New CTO creating bad morale in IT. "People transformation" is more like, your job is being outsourced to India. You can stay and work and we will retrain you. What if I'm good at what I do? Get in the box or leave. IT will be India Water.

Advice to Management

Keep American Water jobs in America.

"Anybody listening?"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation, but this will change as well, due to upcoming reorgs and company wide health plan changes. Work from home options.

Cons

I was told at some point people were proud to be working for American Water. I shall believe that, but I have never experienced it during my time with the company. Employees are unhappy, frustrated and tired, as are customers (ever spoken to your customers in let's say Ocean City, NJ or Coatesville, PA - I doubt it).

Exec leadership removed from reality. As long as the shareholders are happy, that's all that counts, right? Check the last stock price and leadership salary/compensation report, it will blow you away. American Water is doing incredibly well, but cost cuttings are still the most important thing.

Exec leadership does not care much about employees. Culture surveys that have no follow through are a joke and pretentious (myVoice? Really?). Reading current reports of Best Companies To Work For, or Best IT Organization To Work For almost makes me cry. We could not be any further away from those companies. And oh, remember the times when AW IT was actually on this list? Performance review process is the biggest joke. Reorgs after reorgs after reorgs (or call it people transformation).

New CTO: what's wrong with you?
    You can't waltz into IT, ransack our CIO (your new best friend, right?) make grand and false promises and than be surprised about chaos in IT. Talk about flat hierarchies (Zappo's holacracy anyone?), call us monkeys, diss our technology and expect people to respect and follow you? Can someone please give this guy some leadership training! One of the first IT town halls, CTO response "no, there is nothing left to outsource in IT, no worries". 2 months later, CTO response: "everything but core competencies will be outsourced". But oh, I forgot, he is continuously reminding us "I have done this before".

And yes, as many other have mentioned here, these outsourced IT jobs will go to India, which is very disappointing. I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole further, just surprised that exec leadership and the business are ok with this, considering the reputation for these low paid consulting companies. Infosys and Cognizant must be out of their mind happy, since their leaders speak the same (not just technical) language. Hey, at least they made their goal to continue their learning path in the utility industry and disruptive technology, that must count for something, right? Let's see what the business will say when the first Service Desk call is being picked up in India and not in NJ/PA anymore.

I understand our technology is partially outdated, processes need improvement...but there has to be a better way to handle this. After all, we are still a UTILITY company. The budget never allowed to play around with new technology, where it came from now, who knows.

We don't know what the true agenda here is, it just feels so wrong. Even if leadership doesn't care about the employees, they should care about the financial impacts that this uncertainty and chaos has. It's painful to see how people and their work are impacted by this.

You have real good people here that work their behinds off, do you not care?

8. "GPS Technician"

Former Employee - GPS Data Technician in Belleville, IL
    Former Employee - GPS Data Technician in Belleville, IL

Pros

Great place to learn and express your talents

Cons

It was a great experience all togehter

9. "Pretty good but that all depends on which location you're at."

Former Employee - Field Resources Coordinator in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Field Resources Coordinator in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay and wonderful benefits. Kentucky American Water is especially nice/professional.

Cons

No work/life balance. Terrible work schedules in many departments due to the nature of the business.

10. "Old culture"

Former Employee - GIS Technician in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - GIS Technician in Greenwood, IN

I worked at American Water (Less than a year)

Pros

The regular employees are easy and to work with a nice management and upper management seem out of touch though.

Cons

They have Old outdated philosophy although trying to move system on to new technology there still dealing with old world utility culture

Advice to Management

They have been trying to modernize things with their computer and design in GIS. But the company culture seems expandably old-fashioned and very slow to get along. They like to use contract workers but don't see much interested in bringing permanent people on. Nice people though

"anonymous"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and salary.

Cons

Upper Management and Executives seem to be only about themselves and do not want to spend money on investing in their employees. The company management only want things for themselves not their employees. This Company is deceitful in the way employees are treated and are not appreciated for their hard work. It seems upper management is never happy. Also impossible work and project tasks and deadlines and too many unreasonable people.

Advice to Management

Get a grip start listening to your employees and offer support instead of giving people a hard time. Have empathy for your employees and stop spending money on yourselves it's not about just you upper management.