American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

American Water Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Current Employees

Pros
  • Great hours, the company has very good benefits (in 31 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, that's about it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 13 reviews)

• Some employees want to make it better but management upper management needs to go (in 11 reviews)

"You have got to me kidding me...."

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

Its a job and there will be opportunties for some folks in the organization. However it is a case of buyer beware. In evaluating opportunities with AW, it is best to enter with eyes open.

Cons

Seeing a lot of posts recently that are reputably written by internal employees, however they have the smell of a HR commercial. The reality is the ITS organization is badly led, has been badly led, and , in all likelihood, will continue to be badly led in the future. There are some opportunities to be had to be true, however the strategic direction is towards outsourcing the IT operations no matter which way someone tries to spin it.

Advice to Management

Its going to take more than having the HR organization write reviews on Glassdoor trying to spin the situation. Quite frankly, the organiation would be much better served by taking a long hard look in the mirror and stop wasting everyones time by writing fan fiction.

"IT Staff"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home option great! Very safety oriented. Nice people to work with and a lot of in house activities.

Cons

New CTO creating bad morale in IT. "People transformation" is more like, your job is being outsourced to India. You can stay and work and we will retrain you. What if I'm good at what I do? Get in the box or leave. IT will be India Water.

Advice to Management

Keep American Water jobs in America.

"Anybody listening?"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation, but this will change as well, due to upcoming reorgs and company wide health plan changes. Work from home options.

Cons

I was told at some point people were proud to be working for American Water. I shall believe that, but I have never experienced it during my time with the company. Employees are unhappy, frustrated and tired, as are customers (ever spoken to your customers in let's say Ocean City, NJ or Coatesville, PA - I doubt it).

Exec leadership removed from reality. As long as the shareholders are happy, that's all that counts, right? Check the last stock price and leadership salary/compensation report, it will blow you away. American Water is doing incredibly well, but cost cuttings are still the most important thing.

Exec leadership does not care much about employees. Culture surveys that have no follow through are a joke and pretentious (myVoice? Really?). Reading current reports of Best Companies To Work For, or Best IT Organization To Work For almost makes me cry. We could not be any further away from those companies. And oh, remember the times when AW IT was actually on this list? Performance review process is the biggest joke. Reorgs after reorgs after reorgs (or call it people transformation).

New CTO: what's wrong with you?
    You can't waltz into IT, ransack our CIO (your new best friend, right?) make grand and false promises and than be surprised about chaos in IT. Talk about flat hierarchies (Zappo's holacracy anyone?), call us monkeys, diss our technology and expect people to respect and follow you? Can someone please give this guy some leadership training! One of the first IT town halls, CTO response "no, there is nothing left to outsource in IT, no worries". 2 months later, CTO response: "everything but core competencies will be outsourced". But oh, I forgot, he is continuously reminding us "I have done this before".

And yes, as many other have mentioned here, these outsourced IT jobs will go to India, which is very disappointing. I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole further, just surprised that exec leadership and the business are ok with this, considering the reputation for these low paid consulting companies. Infosys and Cognizant must be out of their mind happy, since their leaders speak the same (not just technical) language. Hey, at least they made their goal to continue their learning path in the utility industry and disruptive technology, that must count for something, right? Let's see what the business will say when the first Service Desk call is being picked up in India and not in NJ/PA anymore.

I understand our technology is partially outdated, processes need improvement...but there has to be a better way to handle this. After all, we are still a UTILITY company. The budget never allowed to play around with new technology, where it came from now, who knows.

We don't know what the true agenda here is, it just feels so wrong. Even if leadership doesn't care about the employees, they should care about the financial impacts that this uncertainty and chaos has. It's painful to see how people and their work are impacted by this.

You have real good people here that work their behinds off, do you not care?

"anonymous"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and salary.

Cons

Upper Management and Executives seem to be only about themselves and do not want to spend money on investing in their employees. The company management only want things for themselves not their employees. This Company is deceitful in the way employees are treated and are not appreciated for their hard work. It seems upper management is never happy. Also impossible work and project tasks and deadlines and too many unreasonable people.

Advice to Management

Get a grip start listening to your employees and offer support instead of giving people a hard time. Have empathy for your employees and stop spending money on yourselves it's not about just you upper management.

"Outsourcing to India"

Pros

Good compensation and overall benefit.

Cons

Constant org changes, zero stability, and yet another company outsourcing its IT services to INDIA

7. "Good Company"

Pros

Great company to work for. Long career opportunities, chance for advancement, many options, great benefits.

Cons

No cons at the moment.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Strong leadership team; growth opportunities; leadership has high expectations, but that's a good thing.

Cons

Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve

"only to keep access to the site"

Pros

Good salary. Benefits for exempt employees are good because there are a lot of exempt union workers.

Cons

Excruciating goals and career development process gets revised year after year with no improvement

10. "Great time to join the technology team"

Pros

Raising the bar for technology for our customers. Turned focus from run and maintain to innovation and speed to market. Take negative reviews with a grain of salt, as there will always be people who take change personally. Excellent company, excellent people, excellent future.

Cons

Performance review process admittedly doesn't make sense to management and some leadership. Until leadership spends time helping in the process and working with employees on their goals, it will never really connect with our strategic goals.

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation is lacking at times. Put some of the safety focus into employee appreciation, we focus plenty on safety already. We're in good shape, don't take the bad reviews to heart.

11. "Billing Specialist"

Pros

Good Benefits, we are union employees

Cons

This is a customer service center, high stress, fast pace.