American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

American Water Reviews

Updated May 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 14 reviews)

• Not all of upper management are bad some are amazing but you find out quick who arent and no way to stay off the bad ones teams (in 13 reviews)

1. "Old culture"

Former Employee - GIS Technician in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - GIS Technician in Greenwood, IN

I worked at American Water (Less than a year)

Pros

The regular employees are easy and to work with a nice management and upper management seem out of touch though.

Cons

They have Old outdated philosophy although trying to move system on to new technology there still dealing with old world utility culture

Advice to Management

They have been trying to modernize things with their computer and design in GIS. But the company culture seems expandably old-fashioned and very slow to get along. They like to use contract workers but don't see much interested in bringing permanent people on. Nice people though

"Disappointed in IT processes and company."

Former Employee - ITS Field Support Setvices in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - ITS Field Support Setvices in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health care benefits were pretty cheap. Other than that not much.

Cons

I worked at this company for six months, I was being proactive in finding this job due to a potential contract layoff. When speaking with the manager I was under the impression that this company was stable, after 3 months being there and speaking with multiple coworkers I quickly found out that this company has a history of ceos and reorganizations which was quickly affirmed when a new CTO was brought in and spoke about "IT transformation".

It's obvious the CTO was beating around the bush regarding reorganization.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your hiring candidates about the company's stability, you just waste their time and yours.

"Need new Supervisors"

Former Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Water (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits here are great

Cons

Everything else about this company needs improvement. The two women supervisors there are terrible

"Cal Am"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Monterey, CA

I worked at American Water (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good line people, dedicated to serving the customer.

Cons

Abusive management culture. This company's senior/executive management style is confrontational and unsupportive.

Advice to Management

To CEO: your efforts to create a more collaborative work environment are falling on deaf ears. From state presidents on down to site general/operations/engineering managers, the management team is abusive and untrustworthy. A good housecleaning will be required to change this culture. Good luck.

"Okay money. Lots of stress."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at American Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime availability.
    Fairly decent medical insurance and 401k matching + 8.25% automatic deposit from AW.
    Nice CEO that came in after the toxic culture established, might clean things up eventually.

Cons

Customer base is in areas that AW bought up that were pretty bankrupt, this means you will be talking to people mainly from places like Gary, IN, Chattanooga, TN, Peoria, IL, St. Louis, MO. A co-worker said it felt like she was working for the Department of Children and Families. One pod (section) I was in, out of the supervisor and 7 co-workers, one had had a heart attack and 2 or 3 + the supervisor had heart stents put in.

Management might be planning to outsource the calls or change the structure. They have trained an external collection agency at every facet of the job. This is in part to the fact that a sizable percentage of the call center (~20% of 250 on avg I'd guess) because they are on FMLA or are new and stressed out from \ can't meet the mandated overtime. Two years ago before Christmas there was a layoff scare, and last Christmas they had no overtime for the paycheck before Christmas. This is all while they were reaching newer and newer highs on the NYSE.

Lots of mandated overtime. If you are new, expect to be mandated to the fullest they can, and with random 2-3+ hour gaps.

Used to be 365 24/7. In 2015 they went M-F 7-7 to cut down on hours. This has created a very busy environment almost every day of the week. On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays, customers will have to hold 15+ minutes at times. This also means, even if you're working a 12 hour day, you will likely also have a half hour lunch, or if you get off at 4-6P, you will be mandated an extra hour at the end of your shift.

Prepare to deal with broken things and not have them repaired. When I came on board, we learned the old system that had been in place for years, and we were taught workarounds in the system as standard procedure; not to be quicker, because certain functions had remained broken for 5+ years.

The union is weak but antagonistic. Their Alton, IL branch has negotiated slightly better salaries and advanced positions, but the pay is still fairly weak until overtime is factored in, $12 an hour.

Advice to Management

Outsourcing the calls is probably the best right now. Otherwise you just have 30-60 people calling out a day on FMLA and the others building up enough stress to do the same. Pay a few more dollars per hour to when eventually you get enough people not calling out / quitting, people can work a 40 hour week and maybe pick up 4 hours of OT and live a livable wage. Change the way decisions get made and who has executive power. It takes far too long to make changes and for some odd reason it's extremely expensive; like in the case of fixing any SAP bugs. Who got you guys into THAT mess?

Anyway, your call center employees are literally made sick by the job, far too many. It was never like that at GEICO or other call centers I worked at.

"Great Place To Get Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Water (More than 10 years)

Pros

American Water is a great place to get experience in water and wastewater. Company is strong financially and focused on sound business practices.

Cons

Constant organizational and leadership changes throughout the company leaves the workforce perpetually trying to adapt to new leaders and new initiatives.

Advice to Management

Focusing on your internal customers i.e. employees as much as you focus on your external customers can only improve moral and culture.

"CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Alton, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Alton, IL

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and all the over time you want for the most part

Cons

Upper management does not care about you

"Senior Business Anayst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Voorhees, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Voorhees, NJ

I worked at American Water full-time

Pros

I have nothing to say that is good about them.

Cons

They promote family members actually no hire them just ask the CIO Mark Smith I think the SEC would think that would be illegal

Advice to Management

I just said it

"Good Call Center Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

Pros

good pay, opportunity for overtime, friendly and laidback environment

Cons

little to no opportunity for advancement

"Operation Support Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at American Water (More than 8 years)

Pros

American is a great company to work for. Great benefits!

Cons

The cons of American Water is that I am in a union and it's difficult to progress or achieve advancement opportunities.