American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 11, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 14 reviews)

• Constantly changing upper management; most political environment I've ever experienced in over 25 years (in 15 reviews)

"Great place to work, but going through a brief, tough time."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, benefits, work-life balance, growth opportunities ( you have to earn those, of course). Employee morale activities are enjoyable and appreciated.

Cons

Too many org changes and too often. Never great for employee morale.

With that said, bitter employees venting their frustrations on an anonymous website doesn't help. If you are so unhappy here, please see yourselves to the door. You are not obligated to be here.

Let your colleagues get through this difficult time without the additional negativity. At a minimum, don't embellish the situation using dramatic threats. They sound incredibly stupid. This is a small IT reorg, not the Dakota Pipeline.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparent reorganization updates, like those provided in in 2014.

"Technology Groups"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO, CFO and CTO are focused on making this a dynamic company. The company has placed a special emphasis on safety and technology to equip employees in better serving existing and future customers.
    Amazing new headquarters being built in Camden that will bring a lot of employees together under one roof.

Cons

When change occurs, the rate of change can be intimidating. More needs to be done to keep people at all levels in the loop.

Advice to Management

Keep going but remember to keep sharing your vision.

3. "ugh..."

Current Employee - Drone in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Drone in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

401K is the only thing good about this company and the only thing I am staying for

Cons

Computer system (!!!)- how many "tickets can one company have at one time?, Customer Service Center, Middle management hiding all the bad news from upper management, antiquated time keeping system, poor communication

Advice to Management

Come down and see what the worker bees are actually doing

4. "Excellent opportunities"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at American Water as an intern (More than 10 years)

Pros

We continue to evolve. New and evolutionary projects are in progress and on the horizon. Our new CTIO is a refreshing addition to help support our business users as customers. This method of support is long overdue. New ideas, and new ways of working are always welcome.

Cons

Long hours are sometimes required to meet the changing processes. Travel can sometimes add to the length of an already exhausting work day.

"Weighing in…IT @ AMWater"

Pros

I am a long term IT employee at American Water and proud to say so to my family, friends and peers. My Mother and Father raised me to tell the truth and I will always be indebted to them for this simple but foundational basic human virtue.

I am deeply troubled by the untruthful IT posts on this site. I have been in every town hall meeting and can only share my experiences: From the CEO to the CFO to the CTIO they have all been aligned in their transparent messaging that IT must transform / modernize its people and technologies to meet the new digital age and the demands of its tech savvy customers. Read Gartner, Bloomberg, and Forbes and you will find every business is facing this same challenge / journey today. The cost of not embarking on this journey is extinction. This people and technology transformation has nothing to do with outsourcing jobs to India. Those words have never been spoken nor insinuated. It is really about opportunity and growth for everyone who wants it. The CTIO has repeatedly shared the following facts: 1. We must bring core technology competences back in house and 2. The IT head count will remain at current levels and if anything it might need to go up to accommodate the slew of new technologies being considered to ensure American Water continues to be a leader, an innovator and a steward in its noble cause of providing “Clean Water for Life”. Additionally, the CEO, CFO and CTIO have all continually invited anyone to come see them personally to discuss any concerns. My personal experiences in engaging with my fellow IT co-workers over the past 7 months have been overwhelming positive and welcoming to the journey we are all embarking upon. Somehow a few IT employees have missed the positivity and the excitement of the new opportunities right in front of them and instead chose to publish emotionally driven, non-fact based, and untruthful postings. This is America and everyone is entitled to their own opinions but there is a big difference between opinions and the truth.

Cons

Every large corporation has room for improvement. Here are the major ones: To many levels of management, focus on customers, communications, accountability, rewarding high performers

6. "Great People to work with ! Tremenduous opppertunities to grow !"

Current Employee - ITS Employee
    Current Employee - ITS Employee

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to get involved in projects and grow within the company.

Great support from leadership team (CEO, CFO & CTO) to invest in emerging technologies and build in-house advanced technical skill set.

New CTO driving big effort to build synergy between IT and business.

Great benefits (Health, 401K, PTO etc.)

Training opportunities to advance your skill set

Work from home option

Cons

Goal evaluation criteria changes almost each year.
    Communication across company could be improved.

Advice to Management

AW employees and culture are this company's biggest asset. Keep investing in those.

7. "Csr3"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice cummute to my home

Cons

Mandated overtime without prior notice

Advice to Management

Care more about employees. Take the time to remember you were once on the floor. Have more compassion

8. "Current Employee"

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good People
    Employee Engagement in Volunteering
    People really do care about the company and customer.

Cons

Improve employee trainging to develop skills. Better cross training and mentoring.
    Many changes In Staff
    Lack of communication across business

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees one on one more often. Listen to your employees more often. Communicate with your customers internally more often.
    Recognize Individual performance and accomplishments.

"You have got to me kidding me...."

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

Its a job and there will be opportunties for some folks in the organization. However it is a case of buyer beware. In evaluating opportunities with AW, it is best to enter with eyes open.

Cons

Seeing a lot of posts recently that are reputably written by internal employees, however they have the smell of a HR commercial. The reality is the ITS organization is badly led, has been badly led, and , in all likelihood, will continue to be badly led in the future. There are some opportunities to be had to be true, however the strategic direction is towards outsourcing the IT operations no matter which way someone tries to spin it.

Advice to Management

Its going to take more than having the HR organization write reviews on Glassdoor trying to spin the situation. Quite frankly, the organiation would be much better served by taking a long hard look in the mirror and stop wasting everyones time by writing fan fiction.

"IT Staff"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home option great! Very safety oriented. Nice people to work with and a lot of in house activities.

Cons

New CTO creating bad morale in IT. "People transformation" is more like, your job is being outsourced to India. You can stay and work and we will retrain you. What if I'm good at what I do? Get in the box or leave. IT will be India Water.

Advice to Management

Keep American Water jobs in America.