American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

American Water Reviews

Updated May 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 14 reviews)

• Not all of upper management are bad some are amazing but you find out quick who arent and no way to stay off the bad ones teams (in 13 reviews)

"Technology Groups"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO, CFO and CTO are focused on making this a dynamic company. The company has placed a special emphasis on safety and technology to equip employees in better serving existing and future customers.
    Amazing new headquarters being built in Camden that will bring a lot of employees together under one roof.

Cons

When change occurs, the rate of change can be intimidating. More needs to be done to keep people at all levels in the loop.

Advice to Management

Keep going but remember to keep sharing your vision.

"Thumbs up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at American Water (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

The only downside is that there is no downsides to write about

3. "Distribution operator"

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

A highly earning work place with great customer services building skills

Cons

Limited job growth and management positions

5. "Short title for review"

I worked at American Water (More than 8 years)

Pros

American Water has great employees

Cons

I have nothing bad to state about American Water

"Not just a job, its a career"

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Union Plant Operator. Strong union presence. Good working relationship with management. Good pay, benefits are ok, 401k is good as well.

Cons

Communication is a issue. A lot of "I dont knows" and empty knowledge base in general. Very little to no "field experts" to fall back on.

Advice to Management

The left had does not know what the right is doing. Better communication from all parties involved would go a long way. Like a football team, everyone has to be on the same page.

Education and field expertise should be a top priority.

7. "Over all a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

- Overall management and employee attitude that we are "professionals" and the best at what we do;
    - National company provides growth opportunity for those willing to relocate;
    - Good internal relations at operating centers;

Cons

- HR tends to be too autonomous and distanced from the employees, (one sometimes wonders what they're doing with their 8-hours)
    - Benefits have been reduced (I guess I didn't think it would happen at American)

Advice to Management

All-in-all American Water's Management is doing fine. We are moving forward as a well-run company, making significant improvements in communication and enterprise infrastructure.
    American is still "the best"

"For the most part I liked the job, but not management"

Former Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at American Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great advancement opportunities. Education repayment plans. good pension, good training. Great opportunities with working in other DC's job shadowing potential roles that you may be interested in. Great Mentoring programs.

Cons

The management at the job wasn't really appealing. Everyone seemed to be out for themselves it wasn't really a team orientated job. A typical day at work we had a meeting at the beginning of the schedule. We went and got our equipment and we began to work .

Advice to Management

New owners took over and management leaves a lot to be desired. New managers have wrongfully fired operators as well as supervisors. They play favorites and rules are not equally enforced among all operators. You have to constantly watch your back, and the hard workers get rewarded with more work while the slackers continue to slack.

"Great Benefits, Good Pay, Job Security and Growth Potential for a Proven Industry Leader and Publicly traded utility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Fantastic Benefits packages, great job security, good advancement opportunities.

Cons

Company is antiquated in the way it is organized and in technology use and information sharing

Advice to Management

Invest in company specific, cross-program relationship database of all assets (people, places, permits, assets, real-time data, GPS information, etc). Invest in future technologies and alternative energies and energy efficiencies (solar, wind, wave, biodiesel, biogas, etc.).

10. "A utility company you can be proud to work for."

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Alton, IL
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Alton, IL

Pros

American water provides excelent benifits and compenstation is nearly on par with the levels in other industries and employers while providing a work enviroment that is not hostile by showing respect to it's employees.

Cons

At American Water some positions, specifically in technology positions, are only available in certain regions of the country; if you live in New Jersey you will be OK.

Advice to Management

One thing I disliked about working at American Water was the review and goal setting process, it was difficult to understand and was argumentative since experice with it indicated you had to be ready to defend yourself and you should expect to have to "sell" you good points.

11. "I enjoyed the people that I worked with and enjoyed the self-directed atmosphere."

Current Employee - Field Resources Coordinator in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Field Resources Coordinator in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing and above many other organizations

Cons

Untimely reorganization was detrimental to departments and selection processes for remaining centers was not thought through completely.

Advice to Management

Handle out placement process with more sensitivity