American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

American Water Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great hours, the company has very good benefits (in 31 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, that's about it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 13 reviews)

• Some employees want to make it better but management upper management needs to go (in 11 reviews)

1. "Pretty good but that all depends on which location you're at."

Former Employee - Field Resources Coordinator in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Field Resources Coordinator in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay and wonderful benefits. Kentucky American Water is especially nice/professional.

Cons

No work/life balance. Terrible work schedules in many departments due to the nature of the business.

2. "Old culture"

Former Employee - GIS Technician in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - GIS Technician in Greenwood, IN

I worked at American Water (Less than a year)

Pros

The regular employees are easy and to work with a nice management and upper management seem out of touch though.

Cons

They have Old outdated philosophy although trying to move system on to new technology there still dealing with old world utility culture

Advice to Management

They have been trying to modernize things with their computer and design in GIS. But the company culture seems expandably old-fashioned and very slow to get along. They like to use contract workers but don't see much interested in bringing permanent people on. Nice people though

"Anybody listening?"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation, but this will change as well, due to upcoming reorgs and company wide health plan changes. Work from home options.

Cons

I was told at some point people were proud to be working for American Water. I shall believe that, but I have never experienced it during my time with the company. Employees are unhappy, frustrated and tired, as are customers (ever spoken to your customers in let's say Ocean City, NJ or Coatesville, PA - I doubt it).

Exec leadership removed from reality. As long as the shareholders are happy, that's all that counts, right? Check the last stock price and leadership salary/compensation report, it will blow you away. American Water is doing incredibly well, but cost cuttings are still the most important thing.

Exec leadership does not care much about employees. Culture surveys that have no follow through are a joke and pretentious (myVoice? Really?). Reading current reports of Best Companies To Work For, or Best IT Organization To Work For almost makes me cry. We could not be any further away from those companies. And oh, remember the times when AW IT was actually on this list? Performance review process is the biggest joke. Reorgs after reorgs after reorgs (or call it people transformation).

New CTO: what's wrong with you?
    You can't waltz into IT, ransack our CIO (your new best friend, right?) make grand and false promises and than be surprised about chaos in IT. Talk about flat hierarchies (Zappo's holacracy anyone?), call us monkeys, diss our technology and expect people to respect and follow you? Can someone please give this guy some leadership training! One of the first IT town halls, CTO response "no, there is nothing left to outsource in IT, no worries". 2 months later, CTO response: "everything but core competencies will be outsourced". But oh, I forgot, he is continuously reminding us "I have done this before".

And yes, as many other have mentioned here, these outsourced IT jobs will go to India, which is very disappointing. I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole further, just surprised that exec leadership and the business are ok with this, considering the reputation for these low paid consulting companies. Infosys and Cognizant must be out of their mind happy, since their leaders speak the same (not just technical) language. Hey, at least they made their goal to continue their learning path in the utility industry and disruptive technology, that must count for something, right? Let's see what the business will say when the first Service Desk call is being picked up in India and not in NJ/PA anymore.

I understand our technology is partially outdated, processes need improvement...but there has to be a better way to handle this. After all, we are still a UTILITY company. The budget never allowed to play around with new technology, where it came from now, who knows.

We don't know what the true agenda here is, it just feels so wrong. Even if leadership doesn't care about the employees, they should care about the financial impacts that this uncertainty and chaos has. It's painful to see how people and their work are impacted by this.

You have real good people here that work their behinds off, do you not care?

"Outsourcing to India"

Pros

Good compensation and overall benefit.

Cons

Constant org changes, zero stability, and yet another company outsourcing its IT services to INDIA

"Water - basic necessity for life is in jeopardy"

Pros

none - investors and stock price is the company's first priority, not its employees or doing whats right.

Cons

employees are treated like trash - they throw you out the door when they are done working you into the ground. The water/sewer systems are falling apart, no maintenance is being done to keep water safe, they wait until things break, which costs more to fix and causes boil orders and disrupts businesses and schools.

Advice to Management

Get your priorities straight! Mission and values are a joke.

7. "Billing Specialist"

Pros

Good Benefits, we are union employees

Cons

This is a customer service center, high stress, fast pace.

"Need new Supervisors"

Former Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Water (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits here are great

Cons

Everything else about this company needs improvement. The two women supervisors there are terrible

9. "Good Company"

Pros

Great company to work for. Long career opportunities, chance for advancement, many options, great benefits.

Cons

No cons at the moment.

Advice to Management

None

"Why bother surveying your employees?"

I worked at American Water full-time

Pros

Good people (not talking about senior leadership) and benefits. AW doesn't have anything else positive going for it right now. Sad, because it once was a great company to be a part of.

Cons

After Corporate and IT sent surveys to its organizations requesting employee feedback, they took the opposite approach of what was asked by their employees. From a Corp perspective, employees didn't want the constant change. Instead, senior leaders decided to have two complete reorganizations in 24 months. From an IT perspective, the feedback was about the ridiculous review and goals process employees are subjected to. This has just gotten worse year over year and leadership communicated to employees that they just don't understand the process. Note: we understand the process perfectly. We don't agree with it.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on your talent before they all leave.

11. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Strong leadership team; growth opportunities; leadership has high expectations, but that's a good thing.

Cons

Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve