American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 14 reviews)

• Constantly changing upper management; most political environment I've ever experienced in over 25 years (in 15 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Something new and challenging every day, opportunity to learn new things. Lots of flexibility with work schedule and setting priorities.

Cons

The amount of responsibility can be difficult at times to find a work home balance.

"Human Resources"

I worked at American Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated field employees who really care about serving customers.
    I was able to do learn some new skills and develop because I had a great manager, but once things changed at the top, there were many changes

Cons

Constantly changing upper management; most political environment I've ever experienced in over 25 years. Hiring decisions and promotions are based on politics over skills and competencies, with top leaders very protective of their turfs.

Advice to Management

Walk your talk and lead courageously: invite real feedback, use it, and consider the principles of servant leadership.

3. "AW Corporate review"

Pros

Commitment to Safety, Participation in the Environmental Protection Agency Fourth Unregulated Contaminant Monitoring Rule Program, Investment in new and updated infrastructure

Cons

Potential to need to work during time off due to emergencies

""It is What it is""

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I CANT SAY THIS ENOUGH.....Their Training. The trainers and how they train is amazing.
    Benefits -Insurance was great! Hardly paid anything to doctors and Rx were usually free.
    You got Sick time, Personal time, Vacation time and Emergency time. They do also have FMLA after one year. Which does help a lot of people with medical issues who run out of time.
    You get a set schedule for about 6 months at a time. It's nice having that instead of keeping up with a changing daily schedule.
    The building is pretty modern and up to date with quiet areas and break area to eat and purchase snacks.
    They have family events....bring kids to watch movie or meet Santa and some times summer family days at a water park or bowling alley or baseball stadium.
    It's a pretty repetitive job which is usually one call resolution so not a lot of having to follow up so no checking voicemails or having to send a customer back and forth emails all day.
    Dress code is pretty lax jeans and tennis shoes are ok but keep it decent. They don't discriminate on crazy hair colors or Tattoos or piercings since we don't see the customers.
    I met with Susan Story the CEO and she was always very friendly.

The people. I have to say I will miss the people the most out of this job. The other CSR's who work here and have been here a while like I was were more like family. There are people who met and married because of this job. It's a large company with a lot of employees who move around a lot from shift changes every 6 months so you get to know each other pretty quick and you make friends just as fast.

Cons

Over years the company changed. At first it was a happier environment. There was more morale more incentives.
    Here a majority of the time you are a number not a person. If you don't have time or Fmla you will be terminated even if you have a medical emergency. As if your life was not more important than your job.
    Some people should not have been made management. Hiring outside the company rather than inside first will hurt the business if they are clueless to what they are doing. I used to be pulled off the one by a supervisor to do her job because she didn't know what to do or say to the customers. Which i really didn't mind since she was a nice woman who treated her agents great. But it still made things very difficult.
    No more Help Que. before we had one so you could get quick assistance if needed for irates you are not allowed to hang up on regardless what they say or call you. Now you wait forever to see if a supervisor will even take the call if they want it.
    Micro Management a lot of the times and even supervisors gossip agents to everyone. Not all of upper management are bad some are amazing but you find out quick who arent and no way to stay off the bad ones teams.
    It is union based but this can be both pro and con.
    Sometimes upper Mgmt doesn't think things thru. Like threaten a lay off and when it hits the media it's instantly pulled back and was an error.
    The motto for the company should be "it is what it is" since it's said so much.
    Bad turn over rate. I wouldnt learn new hires names til after they were there a couple years. Most didn't last long.
    Mandatory OT ways over the years was horrible. You never knew when it would be enforced or for how long. So if You had reservations or an event right after work you could find out 15 mins before the end of your shift or some times less that you were being held an hour or so and if you didn't stay it came from your time and if you run out of time you can be fired.
    Replaced a security guard with security call poles when building is right in front of crack head hotels and would close late.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your agents and their well being. Give more opportunity for advancement. Give them more support to lean on to handle the customers. They are your front line.

"No Clear Direction"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company that is looking for new direction and new Technology

Cons

Do not have a clear planned out outline for moving forward. No one seems to know who is doing what. Tends to be a hostile work environment. Time to move on.

Advice to Management

Listen and respect your employees. Branch out and collaborate better. I do not see teamwork here at all.

"Not just a job, its a career"

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Union Plant Operator. Strong union presence. Good working relationship with management. Good pay, benefits are ok, 401k is good as well.

Cons

Communication is a issue. A lot of "I dont knows" and empty knowledge base in general. Very little to no "field experts" to fall back on.

Advice to Management

The left had does not know what the right is doing. Better communication from all parties involved would go a long way. Like a football team, everyone has to be on the same page.

Education and field expertise should be a top priority.

"Poor leadership produces extremely low morale"

Current Employee - Technologist in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Technologist in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The staff members that have been at American Water for years are very talented and of high character..

Cons

Leadership is technically and organizationally incompetent.
    Deception is constant, long hours produces poor morale
    2 major layoffs in 4 years

Advice to Management

Ask to be shown a non-demo, non-mock, production worthy deliverable, there are none

"GET OFF THE ISLAND!!"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to gain experience, decent benefits, consistent pay, relationships with the local employees.

Cons

Arrogance, poor upper management, upper managers have NO trust in lower level managers, lower level managers do not allow their hourly staff to make ANY decisions, company thinks they are the best and they are NOT! Wake up! A perfectly good company being driven into the ground.

Advice to Management

Committees aren't going to solve your issues. Practice what you preach, get rid of the fluff, and start focusing on your customers instead of making the lives of all your workers miserable!!

"Not a good place to work"

Pros

nothing that I can say would count as a Pro for this company now.

Cons

same old story, save money by laying off all the people that helped build the company to what it is today.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror.

10. "Pay is the only problem for me"

Current Employee - Maintenance
    Current Employee - Maintenance

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

People are great. Always have something to do. Challenging job. Great benefits. Honestly, I've never been happier with another company.

Cons

The pay is under what it should be. Especially for maintenance. They have roughly 9 operators. If one calls out there is someone to fill their spot. If I call out, nobody can do my job. I get called in on occasion at 1am cause the plant shut down. I'm really 24/7. I feel I should be compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Prevailing wages!!! I love working here, but act on the propaganda that you push. If we are as valued as you say show it. When pockets are heavy enough employees won't float away.