American Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Expect to work a lot; work/life balance could improve (in 14 reviews)

• Constantly changing upper management; most political environment I've ever experienced in over 25 years (in 15 reviews)

1. "Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballwin, MO

I worked at American Water (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated employees working to solve problems.

Cons

Sometimes too much emphasis on the financials and employees and operations may suffer.

"No room for advancement or promotion"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the job and the projects I get to work on. People are nice for the most part

Cons

HR and managers play a game of trying to see how low they can keep your salary. It's a constant game and they end up losing tons of good, young workers because of it. HR is destroying the company with different rules from state to state. They must be so bored that they get excited when they can turn down employees with great reviews for promotions or raises. HR department gets an overhaul and turnover every few months, so they must realize they are bad.

Advice to Management

Identify talent and actually develop it. Stay loyal to employees that are loyal to you. You lose employees when you aren't willing to invest in them, both financially and educationally.

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, ability to self manage

Cons

They load you up with more work than you can handle

Advice to Management

Provide direct guidance

"Great place to work, but going through a brief, tough time."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, benefits, work-life balance, growth opportunities ( you have to earn those, of course). Employee morale activities are enjoyable and appreciated.

Cons

Too many org changes and too often. Never great for employee morale.

With that said, bitter employees venting their frustrations on an anonymous website doesn't help. If you are so unhappy here, please see yourselves to the door. You are not obligated to be here.

Let your colleagues get through this difficult time without the additional negativity. At a minimum, don't embellish the situation using dramatic threats. They sound incredibly stupid. This is a small IT reorg, not the Dakota Pipeline.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparent reorganization updates, like those provided in in 2014.

"Thumbs up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at American Water (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

The only downside is that there is no downsides to write about

"Technology Groups"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO, CFO and CTO are focused on making this a dynamic company. The company has placed a special emphasis on safety and technology to equip employees in better serving existing and future customers.
    Amazing new headquarters being built in Camden that will bring a lot of employees together under one roof.

Cons

When change occurs, the rate of change can be intimidating. More needs to be done to keep people at all levels in the loop.

Advice to Management

Keep going but remember to keep sharing your vision.

7. "ugh..."

Current Employee - Drone in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Drone in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

401K is the only thing good about this company and the only thing I am staying for

Cons

Computer system (!!!)- how many "tickets can one company have at one time?, Customer Service Center, Middle management hiding all the bad news from upper management, antiquated time keeping system, poor communication

Advice to Management

Come down and see what the worker bees are actually doing

"Weighing in…IT @ AMWater"

Pros

I am a long term IT employee at American Water and proud to say so to my family, friends and peers. My Mother and Father raised me to tell the truth and I will always be indebted to them for this simple but foundational basic human virtue.

I am deeply troubled by the untruthful IT posts on this site. I have been in every town hall meeting and can only share my experiences: From the CEO to the CFO to the CTIO they have all been aligned in their transparent messaging that IT must transform / modernize its people and technologies to meet the new digital age and the demands of its tech savvy customers. Read Gartner, Bloomberg, and Forbes and you will find every business is facing this same challenge / journey today. The cost of not embarking on this journey is extinction. This people and technology transformation has nothing to do with outsourcing jobs to India. Those words have never been spoken nor insinuated. It is really about opportunity and growth for everyone who wants it. The CTIO has repeatedly shared the following facts: 1. We must bring core technology competences back in house and 2. The IT head count will remain at current levels and if anything it might need to go up to accommodate the slew of new technologies being considered to ensure American Water continues to be a leader, an innovator and a steward in its noble cause of providing “Clean Water for Life”. Additionally, the CEO, CFO and CTIO have all continually invited anyone to come see them personally to discuss any concerns. My personal experiences in engaging with my fellow IT co-workers over the past 7 months have been overwhelming positive and welcoming to the journey we are all embarking upon. Somehow a few IT employees have missed the positivity and the excitement of the new opportunities right in front of them and instead chose to publish emotionally driven, non-fact based, and untruthful postings. This is America and everyone is entitled to their own opinions but there is a big difference between opinions and the truth.

Cons

Every large corporation has room for improvement. Here are the major ones: To many levels of management, focus on customers, communications, accountability, rewarding high performers

9. "Great People to work with ! Tremenduous opppertunities to grow !"

Current Employee - ITS Employee
    Current Employee - ITS Employee

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to get involved in projects and grow within the company.

Great support from leadership team (CEO, CFO & CTO) to invest in emerging technologies and build in-house advanced technical skill set.

New CTO driving big effort to build synergy between IT and business.

Great benefits (Health, 401K, PTO etc.)

Training opportunities to advance your skill set

Work from home option

Cons

Goal evaluation criteria changes almost each year.
    Communication across company could be improved.

Advice to Management

AW employees and culture are this company's biggest asset. Keep investing in those.

10. "Csr3"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice cummute to my home

Cons

Mandated overtime without prior notice

Advice to Management

Care more about employees. Take the time to remember you were once on the floor. Have more compassion