American Well Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Ido Schoenberg, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is huge opportunity for growth as you prove yourself" (in 4 reviews)

• "Amazing office location overlooking Boston Harbor, right next to Faneuil Hall" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Awful place to work no work life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Promotions are almost non-existent at this company unless you're senior management, and there's no 401k match" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My two cents about working at American Well"

Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Well full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at American Well for over 3 years now. I would have to say that being a working professional for 20 years, that this company is better than most. My direct reports (Both SVP level) have always treated me with respect and more like their equal and not just a production tool. I am not one to try and slip through the cracks but if you are, don't bother applying. The medical and technology needs make for such a fast paced environment that you will be exposed. If you are proud of the work you produce and feel like you can make an impact, then I highly recommend the company. Your efforts will be noticed and you will be compensated for your company contribution during the yearly review process.

I think the overall benefits and compensation package is good. My work station is quality hardware and up to date software. The freebies for snacks and drinks are generous and the people overall are respectful.

Cons

Yes there are some, like most places but for me they are not game changers. Coming into town can be tough at times living north of the city, but my managers are very flexible when it comes to delays outside of my control. Because the company is growing very fast, individual work space is tight requiring shared office space. The company has already expanded in the building to take over available floors (4 total) and are once again looking into even more so it is a known issue being addressed by owners and HR.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I think (all) companies shift their focus too much on dollars and ROI the bigger they get. Try and slow down and feel good about what is being accomplished daily. Always keep in mind why the company was founded, to improve access to care. It takes the work of everyone on the ship to ultimately reach your destination.

Apr 4, 2018 – Senior Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. I'm happy that you've found a place where you can learn, grow and be valued for your contribution. Our location has its pros and cons. Being in the heart of the city... More

2. "Fantastic Opportunity to Innovate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Well full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with a talented group everyday. Great location in Boston. A front row seat with a company poised to change healthcare as we know it.

Cons

I wouldn't consider this a con, but some might. The company is constantly adapting and growing, which can lead to confusion on projects and goals.

Be prepared to move quickly and be resourceful. Leadership can give you an outline for a task, but it is up to you to execute and be creative!

Advice to Management

It was great to hear from you all during orientation. Continue to set aside time for new hires and teach them about the mission/values of the company. I have worked for smaller companies, where the leadership doesn't take part in on-boarding/orientation.

Make it a priority to be part of on-boarding and find ways to voice company goals/mission periodically!

"Us vs. Them"

I have been working at American Well full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid product, solid leadership, brand recognition.

Cons

Post Avizia acquisition, the two companies still remain separate. Separate expense plans, separate instant messaging, separate comp plans, separate trainings, non-existent cross-training

Advice to Management

bring the two orgs together ASAP.

"Untapped potential hindered by lack of leadership and transparency"

I worked at American Well full-time

Pros

-Good technology, innovative product development and strategic ideas
    - Smart people
    - Exciting potential

Cons

- Lack of culture
    - Little transparency
    - Smart higher-ups, but that doesn’t make them good leaders!
    - The culture does not incentivize upward mobility
    - No real functional/ commercial training (you’ll learn about the product and that’s it)

Advice to Management

-Consider what you can give back to your employees and not just what you can get out of them
    - Everything funnels from the top down, especially at American Well, recognize how that is affecting the culture (or lack of)

"Working here - one of my best decisions"

I have been working at American Well part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is innovative and the people are dedicated, creative, caring, and friendly. HR has worked hard to create a culture and atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable, and exciting. There are fun company-wide events each quarter such as paint nights, fitness classes, lunch n' learns, and onsite meditation and yoga classes. They provide competitive benefits packages and have great in-office perks. The location is spectacular; right next to Faneuil Hall and accessible by multiple forms of public transportation. The office views are breathtaking as well. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here so far!

Cons

Space is an issue, but one that is constantly being worked on as the company grows exponentially. Other than that, I have none!

6. "Working was fun!"

I worked at American Well full-time

Pros

The cultural dynamic and team work is outstanding!

Cons

I am actually speechless here!

"Leading the pack but leaving a wake"

I worked at American Well full-time

Pros

New industry, ahead of the competition.

Cons

Very little transparency from top to bottom, salaries are way below what most other companies offer.

Sep 10, 2018 – SVP, People and Culture

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Communication and transparency is a key priority for me and our leaders. We recognize the need to continue this focus and increase our efforts. We are in... More

"Just plain sad. Abusive workplace."

I have been working at American Well full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and tea, snacks. Office location close to Fanueil Hall, lots of options for lunch.

Cons

Unreasonable workload. Employees are burnt out and have walked out. They have not made an effort to replace them, putting the burden on those who are left. Extreme mistrust. Borderline abusive managers. They will belittle you and take credit for your work, and scare you into falling back in line if they perceive your success to be a threat to the status quo. You will work long and hard in finding innovative ways to improve, but you will be shunned for this. There is no room for improvement in hosting. Most of hosting hasn't been there more than a year, because they fail to engage their employees with positive feedback, they throw you under the bus, and blame you when you simply are too tired to deal with it anymore. They will abuse you verbally and also by email. They will embarrass you to the whole team if you try to share a genuinely good idea. They frown upon creativity. This bullying culture of top heavy middle management has squashed any hope or dream of career advancement. PTO is frowned upon because of how much work there is to do, and so little employees to do it. Expect to work all the time, including off hours, in the middle of the night while also fighting an uphill battle for compensation. Forget about weekends with your family, you will dedicate every waking life to a company focused on the bottom line. You will get gray hair, lose sleep, and never, not once be thanked for all of your hard work.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and stop treating them as cheap labor and start considering the fact that we're human, have families, and deserve to be treated better. Stop promoting people simply because they've been there for a decade. Promote people who actually work hard, and who rarely if ever get anything more than a simple thank you.

9. "Working Here Has Been Nice"

I have been working at American Well full-time

Pros

-Awesome location in Boston
    -Coworkers are friendly
    -Snacks in kitchen
    -Company is growing
    -Hired me with very little experience which helped me get my foot in the door

Cons

I don't personally have any cons other than there not being an actual cafeteria, but one is being constructed now.

Sep 10, 2018 – SVP, People and Culture

Hello and great to have your feedback. We look forward to providing you a great employee experience and lots of success professionally.

Lisa Archer
    SVP, People and Culture

"Poor Management"

I worked at American Well full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To gain some new experience and knowledge and move on

Cons

Poor Management Skills. Making Employees Fear Management. High Employee Turnover Rates. Lack of Right Training. Contributions and Reward Good Work are Not Recognized. Hire and Promote the Wrong People. Don’t Let People Pursue Their Passions. Fail To Engage Creativity. A Huge Disappointment