American Well Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 25, 2018

3.4
Ido Schoenberg, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing office location overlooking Boston Harbor, right next to Faneuil Hall" (in 7 reviews)

• "There is huge opportunity for growth as you prove yourself" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Awful place to work no work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "This also trickles from the top down where the most senior management treats their staff poorly and leads to an unbelievably hostile environment" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My two cents about working at American Well"

Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Well full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at American Well for over 3 years now. I would have to say that being a working professional for 20 years, that this company is better than most. My direct reports (Both SVP level) have always treated me with respect and more like their equal and not just a production tool. I am not one to try and slip through the cracks but if you are, don't bother applying. The medical and technology needs make for such a fast paced environment that you will be exposed. If you are proud of the work you produce and feel like you can make an impact, then I highly recommend the company. Your efforts will be noticed and you will be compensated for your company contribution during the yearly review process.

I think the overall benefits and compensation package is good. My work station is quality hardware and up to date software. The freebies for snacks and drinks are generous and the people overall are respectful.

Cons

Yes there are some, like most places but for me they are not game changers. Coming into town can be tough at times living north of the city, but my managers are very flexible when it comes to delays outside of my control. Because the company is growing very fast, individual work space is tight requiring shared office space. The company has already expanded in the building to take over available floors (4 total) and are once again looking into even more so it is a known issue being addressed by owners and HR.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I think (all) companies shift their focus too much on dollars and ROI the bigger they get. Try and slow down and feel good about what is being accomplished daily. Always keep in mind why the company was founded, to improve access to care. It takes the work of everyone on the ship to ultimately reach your destination.

American Well Response

Apr 4, 2018 – Senior Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. I'm happy that you've found a place where you can learn, grow and be valued for your contribution. Our location has its pros and cons. Being in the heart of the city... More

2. "Great team environment"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Well full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great team environment where coworkers support one another and managers value their employees input
    - Ownership of your work without being micromanaged
    - Ability to work from home when needed
    - Unlimited PTO and strong benefits package
    - Perfect office location downtown

Cons

- Layout of the office across several floors can be difficult at times

Advice to Management

Keep trending in the right direction! Excited for what is in store as we continue to grow.

"Fundamental Issues at the Core"

I worked at American Well full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Making an impact in healthcare is gratifying.

If you're lucky enough to be on the right team, you'll work alongside extremely smart and passionate team members. I loved my colleagues.

Great office location.

Cons

Work/life balance is bad. Many people work beyond their standard workload and it puts pressure on others to do the same. This causes an inaccurate portrayal of the amount of work that can be done in a given timeframe, allowing executives to pile on more work for future releases. Executives call working late as "team bonding."

Product roadmap consistently changes. You'll start working on something one day, then have to shift and work on something else that's suddenly higher priority. There's a randomness on tasks you're asked to do on a daily and weekly basis.

Executives don't say "No" enough to the CEO. This sometimes allows absurd requests to trickle down and cause constant fire drills, forcing team members to drop everything they're working on to complete tasks in a tight/impossible timeframe.

Managers are unnecessarily mean and confrontational. This makes people hesitant to speak up and express their thoughts due to fear of loud and unreasonable backlash.

Over half of the meetings are a waste of time. There's either too many people in a meeting, or the meeting is irrelevant because whatever the executive says goes. Whoever shouts the loudest usually wins.

With the increase of employees, the work space is crowded and loud.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs. Trust them to do what they're great at.

Slow down so you can focus on quality and process.

Say "No" more often.

American Well will continue losing great employees if you don't make changes.

4. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at American Well full-time

Pros

The people in the company are awesome!

They have made some changes to the culture to increase tenure within each department and it has been good so far

Cons

- Too much bureaucracy around the engineering department
    - It needs a culture to revamp and better ways of keeping employees

Advice to Management

Let the other managers have oversight on all things the company has on an employee

"Growing pains ahead"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at American Well full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Unlimited paid time off, company recently changed policy. Benefits otherwise are ok with 3% match. Medical and dental are steep. + 1 star
    * Flexible with working remotely. Appears to be a laid back atmosphere in a fast paced environment. + 1 star
    * Good mission statement, one of the industry leaders though they will most likely go public or get acquired. Approve of the 2 co-CEO's. + 1 star
    * Lots of work to go around with great learning opportunities. You won't find yourself bored here. You will find yourself involved in numerous projects. May not be a good fit if you just like to chill. + 1 star
    * Free drinks and snacks. Often times there are leftover food from client visits and board meetings. Gym on site. + 1 star

Cons

* Human resources are not much help and some are truly inept. Getting your commuter pass and 401k setup was a monumental task. - 1 star
    * More politics than usual. I've been with quite a few companies and every company has politics. It can be different from group to group, manager to manager within the same company. With that said, still more politics than average. Tends to micromanage. Lots of inexperienced managers who tends to hire the wrong people which leads to high turnover. - 1 star
    * Office location is not ideal in downtown Boston. Space is limited and headcount is growing, meaning tight office space. - 1 star

Advice to Management

You got a good thing going. Transforming the industry. The managers are very knowledgeable but terrible at the people side of things, especially hiring. That in turn sends the wrong message when you hire the wrong people who can't contribute. Then the managers will clamp down and micromanage for their own mistakes. Most of the managers would make great employees however they have terrible management skills. Reevaluate all levels of your management and reclassify them as non management if appropriate. Hire people with some management skills.

6. "Not for the faint of heart, but rewarding (depending on department)"

I have been working at American Well full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people (for the most part), smart people across the entire company, always the chance to take on new responsibilities if you so desire, benefits are improving, salaries are improving, always big news a couple times a year, industry leading company, CEOs are approachable, Hosting department management is full of all stars (and personality) right up to the C level.

Cons

I see upper level management in other departments that I would never want to work for. While they are great at customer facing, it's clear that they don't treat their employee's right, and can be downright disrespectful. Plans shift around too often

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the happiness of the employees in each department. That's going to tell you where your issues are. I know it's important to be flexible in a fast growing industry, but you need to set dedicated resources to pull people away from fighting daily fires to work on best practices, organization, finished half finished projects, etc. It always feels just too close to being on the edge of falling apart. Spend more money on the tools your company needs to succeed.

"Us vs. Them"

I have been working at American Well full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid product, solid leadership, brand recognition.

Cons

Post Avizia acquisition, the two companies still remain separate. Separate expense plans, separate instant messaging, separate comp plans, separate trainings, non-existent cross-training

Advice to Management

bring the two orgs together ASAP.

8. "Fantastic Opportunity to Innovate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Well full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with a talented group everyday. Great location in Boston. A front row seat with a company poised to change healthcare as we know it.

Cons

I wouldn't consider this a con, but some might. The company is constantly adapting and growing, which can lead to confusion on projects and goals.

Be prepared to move quickly and be resourceful. Leadership can give you an outline for a task, but it is up to you to execute and be creative!

Advice to Management

It was great to hear from you all during orientation. Continue to set aside time for new hires and teach them about the mission/values of the company. I have worked for smaller companies, where the leadership doesn't take part in on-boarding/orientation.

Make it a priority to be part of on-boarding and find ways to voice company goals/mission periodically!

"Untapped potential hindered by lack of leadership and transparency"

I worked at American Well full-time

Pros

-Good technology, innovative product development and strategic ideas
    - Smart people
    - Exciting potential

Cons

- Lack of culture
    - Little transparency
    - Smart higher-ups, but that doesn’t make them good leaders!
    - The culture does not incentivize upward mobility
    - No real functional/ commercial training (you’ll learn about the product and that’s it)

Advice to Management

-Consider what you can give back to your employees and not just what you can get out of them
    - Everything funnels from the top down, especially at American Well, recognize how that is affecting the culture (or lack of)

"Working here - one of my best decisions"

I have been working at American Well part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is innovative and the people are dedicated, creative, caring, and friendly. HR has worked hard to create a culture and atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable, and exciting. There are fun company-wide events each quarter such as paint nights, fitness classes, lunch n' learns, and onsite meditation and yoga classes. They provide competitive benefits packages and have great in-office perks. The location is spectacular; right next to Faneuil Hall and accessible by multiple forms of public transportation. The office views are breathtaking as well. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here so far!

Cons

Space is an issue, but one that is constantly being worked on as the company grows exponentially. Other than that, I have none!