American Well "fast paced" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

American Well Employee Reviews about "fast paced"

Updated May 10, 2019

3.9
American Well CEO Ido Schoenberg, MD (no image)
Ido Schoenberg, MD
Pros
  • "the telehealth space is interesting(in 9 reviews)

• "This is a very fast paced environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "fast paced"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Innovative and Fast Paced Environment"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Well full-time

Pros

Great place to work! You are surround by intelligent people who thrive off a fast paced/cutting edge environment. If those are your kind of people then you are in the right place. The office culture is awesome and only continues to keep improving!

Cons

A little concerned about career growth opportunities, but I believe the company is working to find ways to promote internally. I expect this will improve with time.

American Well2019-05-10
  2. "Great opportunities for the highly motivated"

I have been working at American Well full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast paced, never boring environment. Lots of very smart people at all levels. Opportunity to find your passion and pursue it Ability to stand out and make a difference Great offices

Cons

Priorities shift frequently, making it hard to stick to long term objectives Space & seating continues to be a challenge, but only for some teams

Advice to Management

Continue the push to become One Team Increase visibility and access to the CEOs More frequent communications from the CEOs to all levels

American Well2019-01-30

"Growing pains ahead"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at American Well full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Unlimited paid time off, company recently changed policy. Benefits otherwise are ok with 3% match. Medical and dental are steep. + 1 star * Flexible with working remotely. Appears to be a laid back atmosphere in a fast paced environment. + 1 star * Good mission statement, one of the industry leaders though they will most likely go public or get acquired. Approve of the 2 co-CEO's. + 1 star * Lots of work to go... around with great learning opportunities. You won't find yourself bored here. You will find yourself involved in numerous projects. May not be a good fit if you just like to chill. + 1 star * Free drinks and snacks. Often times there are leftover food from client visits and board meetings. Gym on site. + 1 star

Cons

* Human resources are not much help and some are truly inept. Getting your commuter pass and 401k setup was a monumental task. - 1 star * More politics than usual. I've been with quite a few companies and every company has politics. It can be different from group to group, manager to manager within the same company. With that said, still more politics than average. Tends to micromanage. Lots of inexperienced... managers who tends to hire the wrong people which leads to high turnover. - 1 star * Office location is not ideal in downtown Boston. Space is limited and headcount is growing, meaning tight office space. - 1 star

Advice to Management

You got a good thing going. Transforming the industry. The managers are very knowledgeable but terrible at the people side of things, especially hiring. That in turn sends the wrong message when you hire the wrong people who can't contribute. Then the managers will clamp down and micromanage for their own mistakes. Most of the managers would make great employees however they have terrible management skills.... Reevaluate all levels of your management and reclassify them as non management if appropriate. Hire people with some management skills.

American Well2018-11-21

"My two cents about working at American Well"

Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Well full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been working at American Well for over 3 years now. I would have to say that being a working professional for 20 years, that this company is better than most. My direct reports (Both SVP level) have always treated me with respect and more like their equal and not just a production tool. I am not one to try and slip through the cracks but if you are, don't bother applying. The medical and technology needs make... for such a fast paced environment that you will be exposed. If you are proud of the work you produce and feel like you can make an impact, then I highly recommend the company. Your efforts will be noticed and you will be compensated for your company contribution during the yearly review process. I think the overall benefits and compensation package is good. My work station is quality hardware and up to date software. The freebies for snacks and drinks are generous and the people overall are respectful.

Cons

Yes there are some, like most places but for me they are not game changers. Coming into town can be tough at times living north of the city, but my managers are very flexible when it comes to delays outside of my control. Because the company is growing very fast, individual work space is tight requiring shared office space. The company has already expanded in the building to take over available floors (4 total) and... are once again looking into even more so it is a known issue being addressed by owners and HR.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I think (all) companies shift their focus too much on dollars and ROI the bigger they get. Try and slow down and feel good about what is being accomplished daily. Always keep in mind why the company was founded, to improve access to care. It takes the work of everyone on the ship to ultimately reach your destination.

American Well2018-02-21

"Growing, fun company in amazing industry – Lots of recent positive changes"

I have been working at American Well full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at American Well has been a very positive experience for me. 1) I love the people; not just in my department but we are a small enough company where you get to meet and work with all the departments on a daily/weekly basis. Everyone seems to have a real passion for what they do and are truly happy to be here, all working towards the same goal. 2) This is a very fast paced environment. So while I believe this... is a positive, some people may not. Things are moving quickly, always changing, and you have to be able to work accordingly. But because of this, you are given a ton of opportunity for growth and to develop your skill set. 3) Most departments are very flexible with working from home. Work/life balance is great. As with any company, there are times where you work longer hours and times where it is less busy. They do a great job at letting you manage your own schedule. 4) They promote from within. From experience, it is very important to grow current employee’s skills and reward them for hard work. I know HR is currently working on creating more rewards programs, continuous learning/engagements, etc. to really make this a priority in 2018. With that said, HR has a new leader who seems to be working very hard to improve on the already amazing culture here. I’ve been to a lot of fun events this year, as well as continuous learning programs/trainings and look forward to attending more throughout the year. While space is a bit tight, they have announced that we are going to expand into additional floors in the 75 State Street building soon and building out a café internally which should be a great addition! I am super excited for my future at American Well and look forward to the improvements that the leaders and HR continue to implement as we grow/scale.

Cons

I think with all the new improvements in 2018, not just in building our culture but with benefits (3% 401K match, new bonus and stock programs for employees, etc.), management, internal communications, values, space, etc. I don’t have much cons to list. I see that our leaders have noted where we lacked in the past and as a whole are working very hard to address these concerns and make improvements. American Well... grew quickly and because of this, there may have been some growing pains but as I mentioned, I think they are currently addressing and improving every day to make American Well an even better place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve on our culture, communications, promoting from within and foster the growth and skills of your current employees.

American Well2018-03-26

"Great product, culture needs some work"

I have been working at American Well full-time for more than a year

Pros

American Well has built an amazing product and is gaining recognition industry-wide, making it a very exciting place to be. It's a perfect place for people looking for a very fast-paced, always changing environment. In general, it's a great team and extremely smart group of hardworking people.

Cons

There is basically no HR department to speak of, and it shows and is reflected in employees' general outlook. Many employees are overworked, benefits are subpar - no 401K match, minimal stock options, and employees frequently wind up seeking other job offers to have requests for a salary review taken seriously.

Advice to Management

Hire an experienced VP (or higher) of HR. Place more emphasis on rewarding (and promoting) top performers.

American Well2014-07-08

"Exciting opportunity to change healthcare"

I have been working at American Well

Pros

Great people and a fun, fast-paced environment. There's always a new challenge and a chance to prove yourself. Standards are high. People work together well and everyone wants to see the company succeed. Offices are really nice - right downtown.

Cons

Can be pretty hectic at times, and the company sometimes feels like it is trying to do too many things at once.

Advice to Management

Focus on the top few goals you want the team to achieve.

American Well2014-04-26

"Fast paced, invigorating enviros."

I have been working at American Well full-time for less than a year

Pros

American Well has set out to change healthcare - to make it more accessible, affordable, and convenient for everyone. This is an admirable mission and one that every employee embraces. Highly intelligent managers and executive leadership provide endless opportunities for mentorship and growth. The environment is fast-paced, but also very invigorating!

Cons

There is always a lot going on - you must join the team with a degree of flexibility. Be open to new projects and team collaboration. If you are nimble on your feet, you will do well.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster leadership skills among the junior members of your team. This will established continued respect, loyalty, and company success.

American Well2014-01-28