American Woodmark Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
American Woodmark President and CEO Cary Dunston
Cary Dunston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great hours, good pay, great benefits, great work-life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Good pay and benefits and smart leadership" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "I can't think of any cons, it's a great place to work" (in 5 reviews)

• "Room for growth is basically if someone dies, or leaves" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Caring Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at American Woodmark corporate offices for nearly six years and I can truly say that this is a company that cares about their employees. The CEO is energetic, honest, caring and very visible. Employees care about one another and coming to work every day is exciting and enjoyable. Employees are treated like human beings and not just a number. I love my job and the people I work with. The culture here is amazing. Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

I have no downsides to report! I have never had any issues with the company or the employees. I highly recommend American Woodmark as a place of employment.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give to management, except to keep up the great work and thank you for all you do!

Oct 18, 2017 – Talent Team

We love to hear this! Thank you for your feedback and your 5+ years of commitment to American Woodmark.

2. "Very good job for my area"

Former Employee - Kitter in Cumberland, MD
    Former Employee - Kitter in Cumberland, MD

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for awc for almost 5 years. I enjoyed my job and the benefits are good and affordable

Cons

The only con I can say is that when i left i resigned to go somewhere I thought I would be bettering myself. It's been over a year since i left. I have reapplied and was told I removed myself for consideration from the job. I contacted the company only to hear that they messed up and I was not considered for the job but I can reapply in 6 more months. I know they are hiring people back who pointed out. I dont understand why I'm not being considered for rehire when I resigned

Advice to Management

I loved the management there. They are all good people. My only advise to them would be to be a little more strict on people that would not even try to get their work done in the allotted time frame.

Jul 2, 2018 – Talent Team

Thanks for your feedback and your time worked at American Woodmark.

3. "If you are in Maintenenace be prepared for Disapointment. Amatrol testing is a pipe dream by a brain dead supervisor."

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Moorefield, WV
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Moorefield, WV

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people to work with. Tools are provided. Golf carts.

Cons

No raises for maint. As of 6/20/18. Raises are based on a testing system put togeater by educated idots.

Advice to Management

Scrap amatrol and go back to payfor skill based raise system.

Jun 22, 2018 – Talent Team

Thank you for your honest review. We will investigate these points of concern you have raised.

4. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.
    Flexible job with a good home/work balance.

Cons

Human Resources doesn't advocate for you at all. If you have any issue with insurance, they won't even go to bat for you or at least say they'll look into it. I always get the same thing with every issue : "My hands are tied."

Human resources takes a long time, and many attempts just to update your personal information. After changing addresses, it took almost two years, and repeated emails and calls just to get address information changed. With that said, I never received important documentation, including employee handbooks and insurance information.

Some employees have had insurance get cancelled on them without any heads up. The policies on insurance seem to change every year.

Career opportunities are kind of nebulous. Even when you reach out to other people, no one seems to know how to apply for, or how to prepare for other positions in the company.

Advice to Management

From my past experience with other companies, the Human Resources department has always been the employee advocate and typically have a caring nature. American Woodmark needs to hire HR people who take an active interest in helping their employees.

You need to make sure that your people out in the field get more updates on changes in the company's policies.

Jun 15, 2018 – Talent Team

Thank you for your feedback, we regret to hear of your experiences. We will investigate these points of concern you have raised and wish you the best success in future endeavors.

"Trying to establish that world class culture"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Jackson, GA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Jackson, GA

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just switch to the 4 nights 10 hour shift. Fir third shift. Mon.-Thurs.

Cons

Not loyal at all. Hired the CEO son and started him off with 25 dolllar an hour as a team lead knowing he will only be there for 6 weeks. While other team leaders starting pay is 13 dollars if lucky.

Advice to Management

Can't be world class if your ethic. Doesn't go for everyone. Stop HANDING the employee to be in your PLT AND FLT group and and give to the people who EARN it and you will see better operations within your company

Jun 14, 2018 – Talent Team

Thank you for providing your perspective. We invite you to speak with a corporate Human Resources representative. We strive to provide opportunities for every employee to grow and develop... More

"RUN FOR THE HILLS"

Former Employee - Finishing Quality Inspector in Gas City, IN
    Former Employee - Finishing Quality Inspector in Gas City, IN

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any at all.

Cons

The whole experience. Was not given propper training from day one and got told about it daily. I asked daily for better training and got the " we'll look into it" response everytime. Supervisor did not even know how to do our job as he was hired right off the street and given his position upon hire. One person said the teaining process has been thay way for 9 years they had been there. Finally just gave up and didnt care anymore. No work/life balance at all. Would not recommend anyone to this place.

Advice to Management

Get it together and then develop a training program. Thats why all your staff walk out. 20 walking in one week should make you notice.

Jun 22, 2018 – Talent Team

Thank you for your feedback, we regret to hear of your experience. We will investigate these points of concern you have raised and wish you the best success in future endeavors.

7. "Great Company, Headed In Right Direction"

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time

Pros

The company strives to be the best in the industry, setting benchmark standards. However, they do not forget about the people in this pursuit. They are constantly working on ways to bring employees together.

One of the best moves the company has made is to revamp leadership in certain areas. The new CHRO is a prime example, bringing new insights to not only the company as a whole, but the entire HR function.

Cons

While this is slowly being addressed, the "opportunities for advancement" seem limited - either you are chosen to move up or you are not.

Apr 9, 2018 – Talent Team

Thank you for your comments, feedback like this is what will help us improve in the future. We hope you have a long career with us at American Woodmark.

8. "AWC - Great Employer"

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time

Pros

AWC is a great place to work. The management staff truly cares for the employees.

Cons

Located in between Monticello and Albany.

Mar 9, 2018 – Talent Team

We love our team-members and to hear this feedback!

9. "No regrets!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toccoa, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toccoa, GA

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time

Pros

American Woodmark thrives on a positive, respectful, fair and engaging culture. Focus is on customer satisfaction and AWC gets the job done having some of the highest ratings in the industry. A sense of pride is associated with being a member of the AWC Team!

Cons

Some facility locations make it challenging to find housing within a reasonable distance, just a minor trade off for a great place to work.

Advice to Management

There will always be room for improvement in any position, however, each encounter of conversation and/or training with the management staff has been a pleasurable and positive experience.

Mar 9, 2018 – Talent Team

We love to hear this! Thank you for your commitment to American Woodmark.

10. "Stock various parts of a cabinet into designated areas"

Current Employee - Stocker in Kingman, AZ
    Current Employee - Stocker in Kingman, AZ

I have been working at American Woodmark (More than a year)

Pros

Great team lead environment with ability to advance

Cons

Possible mandatory overtime and possible down days with no pay throughout year

Advice to Management

Be more open and accepting to negative and or positive reviews and suggestions

Jan 19, 2018 – Talent Team

We appreciate your review. Your feedback is what will help us improve and grow as a company.