American Woodmark Reviews | Glassdoor

American Woodmark President and CEO Cary Dunston
Cary Dunston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The factory gets extremely hot during the summer time along with long hours (in 5 reviews)

• Room for growth is basically if someone dies, or leaves (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Caring Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at American Woodmark corporate offices for nearly six years and I can truly say that this is a company that cares about their employees. The CEO is energetic, honest, caring and very visible. Employees care about one another and coming to work every day is exciting and enjoyable. Employees are treated like human beings and not just a number. I love my job and the people I work with. The culture here is amazing. Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

I have no downsides to report! I have never had any issues with the company or the employees. I highly recommend American Woodmark as a place of employment.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give to management, except to keep up the great work and thank you for all you do!

Oct 18, 2017 – Talent Team

We love to hear this! Thank you for your feedback and your 5+ years of commitment to American Woodmark.

2. "Service tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture and overtime if wanted.

Cons

Pay could be better and can be stressful at times.

Dec 14, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for your review and your commitment to working at American Woodmark.

3. "Stock various parts of a cabinet into designated areas"

Current Employee - Stocker in Kingman, AZ
    Current Employee - Stocker in Kingman, AZ

I have been working at American Woodmark (More than a year)

Pros

Great team lead environment with ability to advance

Cons

Possible mandatory overtime and possible down days with no pay throughout year

Advice to Management

Be more open and accepting to negative and or positive reviews and suggestions

Jan 19, 2018 – Talent Team

We appreciate your review. Your feedback is what will help us improve and grow as a company.

4. "Job position"

Current Employee - Warehouse Loader in Jackson, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Loader in Jackson, GA

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loader scanner sequence maintenance sleeved

Cons

No help I. Certain positions in the warehouse

Advice to Management

Supervise the plant more often

Jan 24, 2018 – Talent Team

Thank you for providing your comments. We invite you to speak with your location Departmental Manager so we may learn and provide feedback and support.

5. "Unsafe"

Former Employee - Door Machining in Moorefield, WV
    Former Employee - Door Machining in Moorefield, WV

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid Company , they give a bonus. Their orientation is awesome, they suck you in then you are on your own

Cons

Lack of training, no communication nobody listens to you when trying to communicate the lack of safety on the off shifts

Advice to Management

Meet with new hires one on one not as a group, this is intimidating to some therefore they won’t speak up. They are afraid of retaliation.

Jan 12, 2018 – Talent Team

American Woodmark is OSHA compliant and follows safety laws and regulations. We would appreciate hearing your concerns. Please contact the corporate safety leader at 540-665-9100.

6. "Advancement opportunity"

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow coworkers truly care about each other. Pay is great for the area. Very clean facility. The company actually spends money and time recognizing safety and goals being met.

Cons

Very hard to advance in your career. Management is so busy they cannot take the time necessary to develop leaders. Or recognize the folks that do make things happen, that do care about safety, that care about good product, and care about each other.

Advice to Management

Just because someone isn't in your face bragging about what they have done to improve the process, does not mean to ignore it completely. Take the time to be aware of what is actually going on instead of depending on someone else telling you. It is slowing becoming a place where everyone is out for themselves regardless of who they have to step on to get there. Remember it's the people that makes the right things happen, not you.

Jan 22, 2018 – Talent Team

Thank you for providing your perspective and your support to the team. We invite you to speak with your location departmental Supervisor and Human Resources Manager so we may learn and provide... More

7. "An okay place to work"

Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Gas City, IN
    Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Gas City, IN

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Great trainers.

Cons

Pay isn't as high as it should be for the job I do. You get loaned out to other departments that are behind, mostly Repair. There needs to be a full time supervisor hired for 3rd shift. The team lead is disrespectful and plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the complaints you receive about the team lead in cycle count. I'm a new employee and she is not setting a good example. I feel apprehensive and she tries to intimidate people.

Dec 4, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for your feedback. We invite you to speak with your plant departmental Supervisor and Human Resources Manager at your earliest convenience so we may learn and provide further direction. We... More

8. "test tech"

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great culture, friendly coworkers. Great place to work. Location is good for those trying to stay away from the city

Cons

Salary is a little below average, not any other cons I can think of. Really is a good company

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. Great place to work. No advice to management needed. They know what they are doing

Nov 9, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for your encouraging review and your commitment to working at American Woodmark!

9. "IT Department"

Pros

The company's culture is really fun and friendly. They help you with whatever you may need help with and guide you towards the right resources.

Cons

The recruitment process is a little long.

Nov 8, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate your review!

"Department Trainer"

Current Employee - Department Trainer in Gas City, IN
    Current Employee - Department Trainer in Gas City, IN

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and paid vacation early on. Birthday is a paid day off. Awesome team environment for the most part and great opportunities to advance if you put in the effort.

Cons

Can lack on communication. Production sometimes comes before quality which can lead to loss of contracts. Too long of a time frame before you earn three weeks vacation. Instead of 10 years it should be 5. Shouldn't be a final top out in pay increases as this can cause a lack of effort to improve performance.

Advice to Management

Listen more to hourly employees as they are often a wealth of knowledge. Offer more kaizen opportunities.

Nov 2, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment and share your advice with your supervisor.