American Woodmark Reviews | Glassdoor

American Woodmark President and CEO Cary Dunston
Cary Dunston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The factory gets extremely hot during the summer time along with long hours (in 5 reviews)

• Room for growth is basically if someone dies, or leaves (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

American Woodmark attracts employees that truly care, not only about the company, but more importantly about each other. The company stands by its core values, never turning a blind eye, caring just as much about how things get done as what gets done.

Cons

Not a lot to say in the cons. Sometimes our locations can be a challenge, but at the same time, our locations provide a great place to raise families and have a balanced lifestyle.

Advice to Management

It is the "how" that truly differentiates who we are!

Sep 14, 2017 – Talent Team

Congratulations on 10+ years with American Woodmark! What a milestone. We appreciate you taking the time to review us and for all your hard work and commitment through the years.

2. "test tech"

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great culture, friendly coworkers. Great place to work. Location is good for those trying to stay away from the city

Cons

Salary is a little below average, not any other cons I can think of. Really is a good company

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. Great place to work. No advice to management needed. They know what they are doing

Nov 9, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for your encouraging review and your commitment to working at American Woodmark!

3. "IT Department"

Pros

The company's culture is really fun and friendly. They help you with whatever you may need help with and guide you towards the right resources.

Cons

The recruitment process is a little long.

Nov 8, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate your review!

"Department Trainer"

Current Employee - Department Trainer in Gas City, IN
    Current Employee - Department Trainer in Gas City, IN

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and paid vacation early on. Birthday is a paid day off. Awesome team environment for the most part and great opportunities to advance if you put in the effort.

Cons

Can lack on communication. Production sometimes comes before quality which can lead to loss of contracts. Too long of a time frame before you earn three weeks vacation. Instead of 10 years it should be 5. Shouldn't be a final top out in pay increases as this can cause a lack of effort to improve performance.

Advice to Management

Listen more to hourly employees as they are often a wealth of knowledge. Offer more kaizen opportunities.

Nov 2, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment and share your advice with your supervisor.

"Perfect if all you're looking for is an ok salary"

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are interested in job security, relatively routine work, and prefer small towns this would likely be a good company for you.

Cons

Generally, the pay, benefits, and healthcare are below average. Often, career growth requires you to move to a new location. There are extreme deficits with regard to innovation, professionalism, and diversity. AWC uses outdated inefficient processes, and requires of it's employee's a strict adherence to standard practices are sometimes inefficient. Additionally, as a minority you are often treated as a token, and showcased to stage an appearance of diversity. Further, religion is given an unorthodox place in discussion in the workplace. Culture is lauded more than at any other company I've ever worked for. Yet, the culture encourages conformity at best, and discrimination at worst.

Advice to Management

Hire a consulting firm to address issues of lacking diversity, innovation and professionalism. Potentially hire a legal consultant to address certain practices. Make sure internal communications are error free. Listen to, and respect your hourly employees. If employees raise a serious issue to be addressed, don't put the onus on them to fix it.

Nov 12, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for providing your perspective. We invite you to speak to a member of our Human Resources leadership team about your experience by calling 540-665-9100.

6. "how do i get rehired"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gas City, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gas City, IN

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked it there and lots of hours.

Cons

Got fired in January over something that did not have to happen but now i cannot get rehired even after two job fairs and multiple applications. The now hiring sign has been up for a long time but they will not hire people that actually want to work.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that do the work

Nov 7, 2017 – Talent Team

We appreciate your feedback and wish you success in your future career endeavors.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, good pay, great benefits, great work-life balance

Cons

I've been here over 2 years, little to complain about.

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for your review and we wish you much success in your ongoing career with us at American Woodmark!

8. "A Caring Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

I have been working at American Woodmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at American Woodmark corporate offices for nearly six years and I can truly say that this is a company that cares about their employees. The CEO is energetic, honest, caring and very visible. Employees care about one another and coming to work every day is exciting and enjoyable. Employees are treated like human beings and not just a number. I love my job and the people I work with. The culture here is amazing. Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

I have no downsides to report! I have never had any issues with the company or the employees. I highly recommend American Woodmark as a place of employment.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give to management, except to keep up the great work and thank you for all you do!

Oct 18, 2017 – Talent Team

We love to hear this! Thank you for your feedback and your 5+ years of commitment to American Woodmark.

9. "Great company to work for"

I worked at American Woodmark full-time

Pros

Team driven, excellent benefits, advancement opportunities

Cons

Excellent training to start but no development afterwards, middle management needs development

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to develop their own styles and not make them clones of upper management

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks for your feedback and your time worked at American Woodmark. We wish you success in your future career endeavors.

10. "Enjoyed working there"

Former Employee - Warehouse Coordinator in Gas City, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Coordinator in Gas City, IN

I worked at American Woodmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, steady hours, great people

Cons

assembly line break downs (overtime)

Oct 16, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for your 10+ years at American Woodmark! We appreciate your feedback.