AmericanEagle.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Norbert Svanascini

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"AMAZING COMPANY!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at AmericanEagle.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, the people, compensation, company events, flexible work schedule, generous owners, large cafeteria, variety of projects and working in all kinds of industries.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a stressful environment when dealing with multiple projects at once but what full time job is stress free? There is always someone on your team there to help you out.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people

"Resume builder, happiness ruiner"

I worked at AmericanEagle.com full-time

Pros

- Extremely talented staff, great people to work with
    - Develop a number of valuable skills in tech world
    - Ample opportunity with big-name clients from get-go
    - Competitive salary and great benefits package
    - Often promote from within

Cons

- Timecard system that micromanages every minute of your day, squeezes every ounce of profit out of employees and adds unnecessary level of stress
    - This leads to silly requirements like needing to take half-days for doctors appointments if you can't squeeze them in in an hour
    - Not enough operations staff to keep up with sales team successes; project teams cut corners to get projects out door due to backlog, put client services teams at disadvantage and cleaning up messes as a result
    - Company translates R&D costs to client; site features can be sold before teams are sure how to execute them
    - Not enough HR staff to hire resources needed
    - Employees extremely overworked, stress levels very high
    - Conservative views of upper management make for uncomfortable work political atmosphere (for instance, Fox News on every day in cafeteria when Cubs not playing)
    - Lack of diversity in management positions

Advice to Management

Address the needs on the operations side of the business to prevent burnout. Hire a recruiting team to bring in more resources so the ones you have are not so stressed. Give your employees more than 3 sick days a year and stop relying so much on the timecard system to measure performance. There are so many wonderful people who love the company and you squeeze every ounce out of them.

"Feeling Some Growing Pains Currently"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at AmericanEagle.com full-time

Pros

Talented developers and designers
    Wide array of clients in different industries
    Casual work environment
    Many promotions from within

Cons

Widely divergent processes and priorities across teams creates headaches
    No formal training/onboarding process
    Some standard recurring tasks like reserving a conference room are needlessly complicated
    Mediocre benefits package
    Project managers are asked to switch gears far too frequently to serve clients effectively

Advice to Management

Continue delegating more responsibilities to remove bottlenecks at the top
    Invest in developing your employees

"Do not work for this company"

I have been working at AmericanEagle.com full-time

Pros

There is a variety of work available

Cons

Americaneagle's culture is closer to something out of Office Space than any modern internet company. Employees show up just so they can clock out.
    Upper management does not trust their employees. They require employees to clock in with their badges before 9 am and you can't clock out until you have been at the office for 9 hours - this is separate from the billing system that you must also use.
    There are two all company parties a year, with no other dedicated time for culture building.
    You will not find any women or minorities in upper management positions.
    Fox News is on constantly in the cafeteria - matching the conservative political opinions at the company.
    Americaneagle does not effectively use any resource management strategies. Employees are overworked and most projects are poor quality.
    At the end of the day Americaneagle is trying harder to force their employees to do work, instead of making employees enjoy working there.

Advice to Management

This isn't the 90s anymore. Up the benefits, improve the culture, start a recruiting department, stop blaming employees for low production. Bragging about how long you have been building websites isn't a good thing if you haven't improved your process.

"Good Career Start but Don't Stay There"

I have been working at AmericanEagle.com full-time

Pros

Great Pay! I had no experience and started 15k higher than I even asked for

Cons

Poor work, you'll get trapped by the money
    Super corporate office environment

Advice to Management

Invest in better developers and customer service

"Front End Web Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at AmericanEagle.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Extremely knowledgeable boss. Fun co-workers.

Cons

Fox News in the break room, all day, every day.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Top Website Development Firm Anywhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at AmericanEagle.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The People. The People. The People...Many tech firms are touting themselves as great because they have major investors pouring money into the company and thus, the firm spends a lot of money making them look good. Other companies only have a handful of big name clients they work with. Well, there is a huge difference in bigger influences making you look good and a firm that is "The Best". That's what you'll get at Americaneagle.com. You get to work with the brightest, most hard-working people, and instead of investment influence, you get intelligent influence which means well thought out and solid website development projects and diverse clients, from small businesses to Global Fortune 500 companies. We don't just have a handful of clients, we work with everyone. I've been with Americaneagle.com for over 10 years, have had many promotions and received much more than I humbly feel I have given. This is our culture... we work hard and I honestly want to see every client I work with have success. My fellow co-workers come from diverse backgrounds and are all a melting pot of talent which makes us succeed. There isn't an issue or challenge that I have encountered that the team around me can't handle. The experience you'll get at Americaneagle.com will truly grow you as a Project Manager, Developer, Strategist, SEO Specialist, Graphic Designer or whatever you bring to the table that is of interest and technologically advanced. Why wouldn't you want to work at a place where you are challenged, can share your ideas, see them implemented in the real world and produce high quality work? Compensation is very competitive and raises are generous and not standard of living... they truly reward us for our work and efforts. Our location is near OHare so travel to clients outside of the area is easy. They do have plans on opening an office in downtown Chicago in the coming months. Americaneagle.com is only growing and will continue to do so. Management/Ownership is smart about revenue and putting profits back into the business. I've personally witnessed this in my time here watching our facilities and infrastructure grow into a world-class business with no debt or investor influence. There I go again... what type of influence do you want running the business you work for?

Cons

If you want acrylic hung-from the ceiling pods to retreat to for solace, this isn't the place for you. If you want a beer cart rolling around at 4:55pm every day to reward you for a hard day's work, this isn't the place for you. If you don't appreciate good talent and don't want to work hard, share ideas and be a team player, this isn't the place for you. We all dream of these things, but at the same time, they are necessities to understand the good work we all do. There isn't a workout room, which in our world where we sit a lot, would be nice to have, or at least organized programs to participate in. Even just a few treadmills, bikes or ellipticals to get our legs moving would suffice. There is a full gym in the building next door (for those that do want a workout) and the office is across from a beautiful Forest Preserve for walks or jogs if you need to get out for a few minutes.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people. Reward the people and recognition would be a good motivator. People like talking about their accomplishments when they are rewarded and recognized as a team player, not even necessary to be a compensation reward. Just knowing that management knows who we are and the work we do is observed and awesome is motivation for us to keep getting better at what we do and prohibits us to leave or find employment elsewhere. This needs to come from the top down.

"Perfect Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at AmericanEagle.com (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working here for 5 years now, and I have found numerous wonderful reasons that I will hopefully be here for at least another 5 years. Their compensation is more than fair, with regular generous salary increases. The benefits are definitely above average. They only promote from within (I've been promoted twice). And it is a relatively small company with owners that seem to truly appreciate and value their employees.

Cons

I don't believe there are any Cons.

"Great Place to Work"

Pros

All of my co-workers are supportive, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Cons

I have longer commute. Wish the company were closer.

"Client Services"

Current Employee - Client Services in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at AmericanEagle.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company that has continued to grow both in employees and featured client base. The management is willing to invest in those employees that have a desire for success and want to grow along with the company. The variety of people and clients you get to interact with adds a nice way to continue to become better and the work experiences you have.

Cons

Due to fast growth, there are expected growing pains, that can cause some bumps, and in some cases those fellow employees that are against change make that growth a little more difficult. Overall I do not believe their is a true "con" as all companies will have their pros and cons and have to balance between the two.