AmericanTours Reviews | Glassdoor

Noel Irwin Hentschel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Pure Potential"

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time

Pros

To echo the words of a previous review, this company has something rarely found in most U.S. companies: pure, raw potential. The innovative and creative minds are here. The friendly office attitudes are here. The genuine desire by management to make a meaningful difference in the travel agency is here. It is a resilient company that has thrived for 40 years. For all of you recent graduates of prestigious schools, and most importantly, the minds of talented and out-of-the-box thinkers, this is a great company to be at if you desire fulfillment and a being a part of something bigger than yourself.

Cons

It hasn't YET tapped into the talent of younger generations. The good news is that it will.

2. "A Great Place to Work"

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time

Pros

ATI is a friendly environment and the work is fast paced which I find very enjoyable. I always wanted to be in the travel industry and am learning lots. I've been able to adjust my schedule to that best for my commute and my life balance.....great in L.A.

Cons

Am happy working here and the people I work with are too.

"anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AmericanTours full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, nice team of people, relaxed environment

Cons

Low pay, huge work load, stressful, bad location (right by LAX; traffic 24/7), pay for parking every month ($60ish),
    High turnover in accounting and operations department.

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting the good people that work here and pay them better for the money that they make you. I cringe to think how much people who have been here 10+ years make.

"Coordinator"

I worked at AmericanTours full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Diverse group of co-workers
    * Walking distance to a Subway (should this be in the Cons?)
    * The high rating for this company due to multiple fake reviews on this website (great for laughs)

Cons

* You get $13 an hour as a Coordinator and there are no annual reviews, which means zero raises (yay!)
    * Paying for parking (if you want the shaded structure, that's premium pricing)
    * There were no sick days for the first couple of years I worked here (I believe it's 3 accrued per year now which is still very low)
    * Poor benefits in general
    * The 1960s databases (seriously, update these!)
    * HIGH turnover (just when I was learning new people's names, I had to learn new ones because they kept quitting)
    * We had to buy our own chairs from the offices above since that company left and had nicer chairs than the ones at ATI (hello back pain!)
    * No supplies (had to bring my own tissues)
    * Delusional upper management that does not invest in their employees
    * Plain and ugly offices
    * A general sense of dead-end doom and gloom (although this creates a lot of motivation to leave ASAP and take your job search seriously)

Advice to Management

I'm sure they've heard it all by this point so there's no use of me giving advice. If you're reading this and considering joining this company, I strongly consider you to re-consider. Save yourself the headache...and possibly years of your professional career.

"Highly recommend AmericanTours International."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmericanTours part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ATI is a highly respected, progressive company in the travel industry. Employees have the opportunity to move up quickly through basic hard work and taking initiative to go above and beyond expectations. ATI retains some of the most talented management in the industry who train and mentor new employees and the international staff provides an exciting and interesting working environment. The company is considered to be a pioneer within the industry and an invaluable center of knowledge for anyone interested in becoming part of the exciting world of travel and tourism.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue all that you have been doing to maintain ATI's reputation as one of the most solid and innovative companies in the travel and tourism industry.

"Great People"

I worked at AmericanTours part-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Promote within the company
    Easy work

Cons

Everything was fine, nothing I could complain about

"Please take care of your employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AmericanTours full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was good for entry-level employees and the work hours were flexible.

Cons

Low pay, office drama between different departments, and training needs to be better.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees so they won't leave every 6 months! Pay for their parking passes!

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

I started at ATI in 2006 in sales. Once I understood the sales, I offered suggestions in the customer service side of the business and got a promotion. I saw a need to work with the agents and the ATI site, made suggestions and got another promotion. When I left Los Angeles, I was given a great job opportunity working closer with travel guides. 10 years later, I am still here enjoying continued opportunities given to me to help me grow. It never stops.
    I have three other friends that received promotions and opportunities to move up as well.

Cons

Can't think of anything at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employed by ATI for more than 15 years. The opportunities for growth have been unlimited as I have advanced to new positions almost continuously since joining the company. The atmosphere in this multi-cultural organization is one of teamwork and mutual respect for one another. Senior management provides you with quality training and the tools you need to succeed in this highly competitive field. They encourage you to rise to your greatest potential and the rewards are great. It is gratifying to know that I work for a company that values me not just as an employee but also as an individual.

Cons

I don't have anything to report as my experience working for ATI has been great.

Advice to Management

You have created a stable, successful and well respected company. Continue hiring talented people who share your vision and goals to move the company forward.

"Overworked, Under Appreciated, and Dead End"

Pros

I made a lot of future contacts within the industry that have bettered my career. Also, a lot of people in the last 20+ years have worked for this company or have heard of them. Knowing you survived them, and even better, did well by the company, holds a lot of clout. Also, the level of knowledge that you can pick up will be invaluable. Every single department has something to teach you about Tour and Travel, and that education, although one brought by fire, will teach you how to excel within the industry. For this reason, I give working here an extra star.

Cons

The people who are recognized, lauded, and promoted are the people who have been there for 10+ years. Although these people definitely deserve what they have, they also wield incredible power. If they decide they don't like you, you get all the crap work, triple the work load of others, and overlooked for appreciation. These same people have a long history with each other, filled with drama and politics that any new-ish person is not aware of. Many times, these old timers will try and use newbies against other old timers, many times to the detriment of all. Because these people are in charge, there is no or little opportunity for growth. They put you where they like you, and that is where you stay. Outside of the constant drama, you also have the two owners, who are mostly absent unless there is a photo op or other event. One is always trying to evangelize her Christian faith, often involving scripture reading and prayer during holidays (even non-religious ones) and other all company events. The other seems nice enough, just pretty aloof. Another weird thing is the obsessive patriotic fervor that permeates the owners/executive management. You definitely get that super right-wing Christian vibe from the one owner. When they have reporters or important people in the office, all employees are encouraged to dress in red, white and blue. Its just a little much. The company also does its best to break people with an overwhelming amount of work. It is very much a sink or swim atmosphere, and this is exacerbated by little to no training before you are cast adrift. If you are looking to actually meet deadlines and do a good job, expect to work 12-15 hours a day after your first 30 days. This is also management's expectation, and you will definitely get a look from your direct supervisor and executive management if you're not there after 10 hours of work for exempt employees. Finally, half of the company is staffed with "interns" who work for barely minimum wage and are given duties more in line with regular employees. In some cases, they are appointed to what should be considered exempt positions. Its pretty shady.

Advice to Management

Your newer employees are complaining about the work load compared to the pay. No one gets a raise unless they make a huge stink about it, and are then read the riot act about asking for one. Make more opportunities to grow in the company. Finally, hire some HR staff that is not afraid to say to the owners or executive management when stuff is not legal/PC.