Americares Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Michael Nyenhuis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "U.S. Program Intern"

Pros

Great team and leadership. Offered the opportunity to do meaningful work on both programmatic and policy sides.

Cons

Very few. Some clerical work could grow tedious at times but it was still meaningful and important to the mission of the team.

2. "Can open many doors, but primarily for those interested in Public Health"

I have been working at Americares full-time

Pros

Strong organizational reputation, highly skilled/ diverse staff, many career opportunities

Cons

Corporate business model, sometimes diluted messaging, overworked for average pay

3. "Funding Coordinator"

Current Employee - Program Development and Funding Coordinator in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Program Development and Funding Coordinator in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at Americares full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees and great team working together for all.

Cons

Great and improved what is what for all

Advice to Management

Constant reviews

"Revolving Door"

Pros

The organization itself does great work, and the staff on the program side enjoys the opportunities they get to travel and engage internationally.

Cons

The promotion structure is based on time, not ability, meaning many of the people in charge are absolutely terrible managers, but since they've been there a while they end up in positions of power. Equally bad is the inability of entry-level employees to move up in duties and responsibilities. After three years you should expect to be doing exactly the same things you were doing on day one, no matter how much you prove yourself or how invaluable you become to your team. Then either accept it or quit - like most people do when they realize they're not going anywhere. Every other week they announce a new departure, but no one in HR seems to care about what's causing that - people are disposable.

Advice to Management

Seek out managers who know how to manage, and take people seriously when they bring up issues.

Dec 7, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment and Talent Support

Thank you for your feedback. While we are sorry to hear your frustrations, we are proud to say that Americares factors much more than tenure into a promotion cycle and are always looking for more... More

5. "Family atmosphere but poor management"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Americares full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Americares definitely feels like a big family. It is nice knowing that your work actually helps people in need around the world.

Cons

Management seems to be so involved with the implementation of projects that a lot of the necessary administrative tasks get overlooked which ends up putting more burden on employees.

Advice to Management

Take a step back from each project and look at how your unit is functioning from a high level. Don't get too deep into the weeds.

Oct 31, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment and Talent Support

Thank you for your insight and feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve, and we are grateful to hear that you feel like family here!

6. "Overall - an absolutely amazing experience!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Stamford, CT

Pros

AmeriCares has an infectiously positive atmosphere. It's hard to walk in the front doors and not be inspired by something that someone is working on. I have felt completely supported in every aspect of my role, from onboarding to reaching out to individuals I'm interested in learning more about to diving deep into my work and making changes to systems that don't make sense to my style of work.

I think one of the best pieces of coming into my role at AmeriCares was the onboarding - I have never come into a role where I had orientations set up with departments across the organization to help me understand what the mission as a whole looks like. You also have the chance to sit down with the CEO for breakfast and just talk to him, ask questions about the organization and his vision for its future - it's truly phenomenal. And as my role also directly oversees onboarding, I'm excited at the opportunity to expand this and make it even more comprehensive!

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily say there are any "cons" per se, but one challenge I've faced is that the organizational culture is more meeting heavy than I have ever been used to. Again, I don't think this is a problem or that it's overly meeting heavy; it's just something that I'm experiencing for the first time.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging with staff members at all levels.

7. "AmeriCares"

Pros

Well funded with a strong private sector donor base of support.

Cons

Management staff is overpaid and has become complacent with little interest in innovation or change.

Sep 1, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment and Talent Support

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the organization and your experience. We are always striving to be better, and our new leadership team and CEO are committed to bringing innovations to the... More

8. "Great team"

Current Employee - Program Officer
    Current Employee - Program Officer

I have been working at Americares full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, management lets associates own projects, real opportunities to see impact of work

Cons

Sometimes workload is too high, sporatic turnover of staff, growing at fast rate

9. "Human Resources Intern"

Pros

AmeriCares is a great organization and working there this spring has been one of the best experiences that I have ever had. From the moment I walked in to interview, I felt comfortable and very welcomed and I knew that this was going to be a good fit for me. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming and it did not take me long to feel like I am a part of the organization. I worked in the Human Resources Department and my internship was a great learning experience where I was given real assignments and responsibilities to accomplish. I also had a wonderful manager that gave me the opportunity to shadow a lot of the work she does, gave me meaningful work, and was available to answer any questions I had along the process. I was included in the weekly all staff meetings which was a great way for me to learn about the work the organization was doing in the U.S and all over the world. It's a great working environment overall and it's clear that all employees are dedicated to the AmeriCares mission. It was truly an honor working with such wonderful and intelligent people!

Cons

I can't think of a single negative thing to write about AmeriCaes. I guess as an intern, I would have preferred a paid internship, especially because I had to take the train but it was totally worth it.

10. "On-Boarding"

Current Employee - Media Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Media Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Americares full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full team effort and completely supported by all areas and departments. The immersion of AmeriCares history and direction will help to guide all employees to take solids first steps in their new role.

Cons

Upgrade technology and education of today's technology opportunities will shift and improve all areas of production in order to gain the most success

Advice to Management

Consider a full integration and transformation to a split ownership or full future move to Apple technology to maximize success and communication.