Amerigroup Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson
Jim Carlson

1. "Why work at AGP?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Great company. They value your opinion and do not discriminate. They are very diverse. Management is diverse also with minorities.

Cons

Once you are hired, you will only get the minimum increase when being promoted. So get your money up front!

Advice to Management

The company is very large and I believe they should offer additional benefits. The healthcare benefits are standard, but maybe an increase in tuition reimbursement for graduate students would be a plus.

2. "Great mission, great people, great outcomes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Management and associates embody the mission of caring for those who need a little help. Dynamic company with lots of growth.

Cons

A lot is expected of everyone in growth projections. Political environment, the election, budget shortfalls and the supreme court adds uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the mission. The attention given to quality over the past few years is making a difference and makes associates even prouder to work here.

3. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Marketing Account Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Account Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, family and community outreach.

Cons

Overwhelming at times, but great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Amerigroup is an amazing company that really lives their mission and vision"

Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company feels like a huge family.
    Employees are listened to when change is needed and are included in the change process.
    Leadership is involved on all levels, has open door policies, and it's not uncommon to see the CEO walking around and stopping by your desk during the day to see how you are doing.
    A good work ethic is rewarded with awards, acknowledgements, surprise parties and monetary bonuses.
    I can't say enough about this MCO because they truly have a heart and want to ensure that their members get the care that they need. Plan on retiring here as long as they will keep me. :)

Cons

Some departments could really use additional staff and as the company continues to grow I'm sure this will happen.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. Continue making employees at all levels a part of the decision making and letting them (us) know that we are appreciated. Definitely never change your Vision and Mission.

6. "Couldn't ask for a better place to work!"

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at one of the Amerigroup Texas plans, and thus far, at our plan, we are very supportive of each other. The overall morale in our plan is positive, we feel good knowing that we make a difference in our member's lives. The majority of us value our positions with Amerigroup, and know that we are fortunate to be in our current roles. I've had jobs that I truly dreaded reporting to work to each day, however, the atmosphere is positive, very family oriented. For the most part, we are allowed flexibility in our work schedule, with many of our associates working from home as teleworkers, and others working from home one day a week.

Cons

If I had to list a 'con', perhaps that we need more office space.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your associates and listen to their suggestions or concerns, as they are the ones who make you shine in your position!

7. "The best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive and friendly atmosphere up until mid-level, don't interact with the top tiers so can't comment.
    Inhouse breakfast and lunch facilities at most corporate sites, which while pricy, are pretty high quality.
    Company gym at corporate location.
    Payscale is competitive with government positions for the same fields.
    Overtime always available, in excess of the mandatory overtime.

Cons

Contractors rarely make the jump to employees, and will be baited along with the promise of a permanent position for years.
    Interdepartmental promotion within IT subsections is actively denied, to retain talent in low-tier positions.
    Mandatory overtime.

8. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Credentialing Specialist II in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Credentialing Specialist II in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management team, adjustable hours, competitive pay, gym available for employees, great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Parking was never good for employees who came in late.

9. "Great Job- Awesome atmosphere"

Former Employee - Quality Management Coordinator-LPN in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Quality Management Coordinator-LPN in New York, NY

I worked at Amerigroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Professional environment
    - Great salary and benefits
    - Company really cares about their employees, and have many perks and bonuses to keep you happy and satisfied in your job

Cons

- none that I can think of

Advice to Management

- The management are focused and driven to provide the best care possible to its members- they truly are dedicated to making fiscally sound choices that lead to growth within the company's business model. They strive for excellence and treat all levels of staff with value and dignity. They are truly a wonderful company to work for.

"Great company filled with exceptional people"

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No shortage of work so you will never be bored; Great work environment, filled with highly intelligent and hard-working people. Benefits are also very good.

Cons

There are some growing pains following the merger with WLP. At least on the Government Business side, the departments can seem under-staffed... many people work very long hours.

11. "Wonderful company with tremendous growth possibilities"

Former Employee - Accountant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although this company is now WellPoint, it is still a great company. Pay is great, bonuses, flexibility, some telecommuting opportunities, and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Personal con is that my healthcare provider was not on the in-network list. Not sure if the health coverage has gotten better since I was there a few years ago. Main con is very long hours in some depts.

Advice to Management

Listen to everyone. I went to HR about my manager several times as he was doing personal business 85% of the time he was to be working, yet claiming he did all the work he had pawned off on the lower staff. They never investigated him until after I quit (and reminded them during my exit interview).