Ameriprise Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 95 reviews

3.8
Ameriprise CEO Jim Cracchiolo
Jim Cracchiolo
  1. "Think twice before accepting a PM role in Wealth Mgmt"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is reasonable for contractors. Some people are great to work with. Products and Services are competitive and the company makes a lot of money.

Cons

You will face an ocean of mediocrity when working with Technology partners. Inaccurate estimates, high complacency, little to none risk avoidance, failure after failure, delay after delay, incredible increase in investment which reflect in your PM reputation. A true PM revolving door. You will regret accepting the offer. Environment is not welcoming. There is no culture, there are no values other than maximize profits.

Advice to Management

Hold the Technology teams accountable for estimates and deadlines.

Ameriprise2016-10-14

"Bad Leader, Not Bad Company"

Former Employee - Director Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise

Pros

Large company pros - good benefits, lots of areas for future career moves, training, learning from and with smart colleagues, some interesting projects

Cons

Large company cons - bureaucratic, lip service cultural programs (mandatory participation on an employee engagement committee - ugh), silo'd departments and territory turf wars among senior leaders

Advice to Management

I quit my manager, not the company. He was a narcissistic empire builder focused only on his relative positioning with his peers - had very little people/team development interest or ability. The company as a whole isn't any better or worse than other large companies.

Ameriprise2016-09-25
  3. "Most definitely a benefit to my college experience"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Valhalla, NY

I worked at Ameriprise part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were so great. Every one that I came in contact with were personable and wanted to genuinely show me what it was like to work in Private Investment management. I was given actual tasks to do (not just run for coffee) and was busy almost all of the time.

Cons

I had to commute about an hour each way but saying that, there are different offices that you are able to intern in.

Advice to Management

None.

Ameriprise2016-09-08
  4. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Colleagues I interacted with on a daily/weekly basis were across the board professional, courteous and competent. -Director-level and VP-level leaders did not meddle in work and empowered their employees to do the work for which they were hired.

Cons

-Marketing is not a focus for the firm and budgets continue to be slashed resulting in overworked employees

Advice to Management

Be stronger advocates to C-Level executives about the value and importance of marketing.

Ameriprise2016-09-06

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of the benefits are very good, like on site healthcare, generous planned time off, matching 401k, and recent emphasis on philanthropic volunteering and community giving. Emphasis on diversity at many levels. Many employee networks to become connected and grow in leadership skills. Emphasis on employee development, and many things can be tuition reimbursed. Working from home is possible but depends on the leader,...

Cons

Employee development is highly regarded but can feel slow to translate into job transitions. Posted jobs can read extremely specific and targeted to either outside candidates or specific persons with unique combinations of skill set. As a result, many of them stay on the posting boards for a long time or get re-posted and like a home on the market, there is caution before one thinks about applying. Training department...

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more and spend time understanding what can make their jobs more interesting and rewarding, particularly in phone and operations areas. Many leaders are not struggle to do the basics well (regular 1:1 meetings, confirm staff are following processes) because of extra heavy meeting loads. Delegate and grow staff more.

Ameriprise2016-08-10
  6. "Legal Affairs Manager"

Current Employee - Manager - Legal Affairs in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are equivalent to industry wide local companies

Cons

As with all new jobs, each firm has its own culture, which can be trying at times.

Ameriprise2016-08-23
  7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenge, growth, solid company, strong leadership

Cons

demanding, heavy workloads at times

Ameriprise2016-07-09
  8. "Client Service Manager"

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with a great adviser. Everthing needs to go through the home office in MN so alot of time is wasted on internal issues. They were very helpful and ameriprise is all around good company.

Cons

Not enough growth and limited to becoming an advisor. Home office can be very difficult to deal with at times.

Advice to Management

Provide advisors with their own practices a little more space and room to handle their own business.

Ameriprise2016-04-24
  9. "Manager HR Business Partner"

Current Employee - Manager Human Resources Business Partner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Like any good company you are expected to work hard. A company wouldn't survive 120 years if it didn't hire hard working people.

Ameriprise2016-04-22
  10. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Good life/work balance. Employees have great on site benefits.

Cons

Micro management. Contractors do not feel as valued, management treats them harshly.

Ameriprise2016-03-12