Ameriprise Paraplanner Reviews | Glassdoor

Jim Cracchiolo
  1. "Good Opportunity"

Former Employee - Paraplanner in Rochester, NY

I worked at Ameriprise

Pros

Individual FA's own their own business so everywhere is different. I started as an intern and stayed on full time. Lots of great experience working under established professionals.

Cons

Was not given the opportunity for advancement so had to seek out other options.

Advice to Management

Keep employees more in the loop.

Ameriprise2010-11-22
  2. "Paraplanner review"

Current Employee - Paraplanner in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Industry leader in financial planning, so lots of opportunities to create financial plans for clients of different backgrounds and diverse goals to accomplish

Cons

Workload increased by 40% in one year and did not receive any additional incentives in the form of increased salary or bonuses for the increased workload

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff. Ameriprise has great services and products to offer to their clients and prospects, but the staff carries the load.

Ameriprise2010-05-21
  3. "Lots of flexability but mimimal promotion potential."

Current Employee - Paraplanner in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Flexability is good. I enjoy the fact that you learn a great deal here and can work anywhere after working here. Will pay to get your designations. I think that management at the local level will like to support staff, but 90 % of the time they say that they have to get home office approval and they almost always say no to everything.

Cons

Advancement is almost non-existant unless you are friends with Managers or live in MN where the home office is located.

Advice to Management

Pay the support staff more.....they are the ones that actually do the work!!! Or, give them bonuses depending on advisor /company performance or growth.

Ameriprise2008-11-18
  4. "Ameriprise an okay place to work depending on who you work for."

Former Employee - Paraplanner in Denver, CO

I worked at Ameriprise

Pros

I worked for an independent franchise that was very flexible and very supportive. The corporate office has been trying to provide better and more support to the independent advisors in the recent year. They are especially trying to provide better service to their top one or two percent advisors to keep them from leaving.

Cons

Working for an independent advisor provides little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Had little to do with the home office, but they have been working to improving the technology over the past year or two.

Ameriprise2008-10-25
  5. "Great job and room to grow if you're determined"

Current Employee - Paraplanner in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Lots of opportunity to get licenses and designations without paying out of pocket. I also like that we are a client relationship based firm and not just a place to call your trades in. Ameriprise has a strong fundamental concept with its approach, though I feel that sometimes upper management does not realize what all of its "change" will feel like when it trickles to the advisors and staff on the franchise level.

Cons

pay is lower than the competition, but job security is better. Compromises have to be made sometimes... Also they need to work on training their call service people a little more. It is frustrating to call in to solve a client's issue and getting 3-4 different answers from different people. This creates additional leg work and cuts down on productivity.

Advice to Management

It would be a good idea to extend corporate benefits to the franchisees to make working for a franchise more appealing. Senior management need to target nore training opportunities towards staff because more often than not they are the ones using many of the new improved technologies.

Ameriprise2008-10-23
  6. "Ameriprise Financial...a leader in the financial sector...what makes it one of the top employers?"

Current Employee - Paraplanner in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Ameriprise is an outstanding company. They are supportive in career advancement, provide a lot of continuing education opportunitie and are constantly investing in their employees in order to grow their company. We are quickly becoming a leader in the financial plannign world, due to our oustanding technology. Ameriprise is the recipient of several Dalbar awards as well. They pay is awesome, I can have time off pretty...

Cons

Nothing. The only downside of working for any large corporation is always having to be mindful of liability. When you are a huge billion dollar company, everyone has their "hand in your pocket" and wants to sue you, knowing you will settle out of court to avoid the costs of litigation, so you basically get robbed without merit.

Advice to Management

None, you are doing a great job :) Always advancing in technology and finding ways to improve service and the client experience.

Ameriprise2008-07-14