AmerisourceBergen Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AmerisourceBergen President & CEO Steven Collis
Steven Collis

Pros
Cons
  • Work/ life balance can become difficult to manage (in 26 reviews)

• Long hours daily, rarely work a normal 8 hour shift (in 23 reviews)

1. "Just run."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time

Pros

Heh. Its a paycheck. If you are in need of a job, this is a bridge until you find a new one AT BEST.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional co-workers, ambivalent and willfully ignorant management, long hours, low pay, bottom dollar everything. If you are considering a job here...look at the faces of the people in the warehouse. This can be you. There are better places to work.

Advice to Management

I am sure Management would like to work somewhere also.

"Worst on Lash side"

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

OT is great when offered.

Cons

Long hours, no appreciation, if you don't know someone that knows someone then move on!

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate the hard workers and not the butt kissers.

"Not really a good employer"

Current Employee - ICS IT in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - ICS IT in Frisco, TX

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees. Pay needs tone better

Cons

HR, is not neutral (side with mngmnt). Retaliation witching leadership in IT(ICS).

Advice to Management

Let go of biased, unfair, uneducated, non-degreed leadership. VPs really need to be recycled. To manypeopleonthe right bus but in the wrong seat. Satisfaction surveys needtobeadministeredfirployees to rate their leadership and make apart of the merrit increase.

"Goodbye life, hello corporate."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

Pros

The benefits are the only thing this company has to offer its employees as a reason to continue to remain there. They are the most comprehensive and top-tier plans that I've ever seen.

Cons

Everything else. Management is completely incompetent in their logic and reasoning skills, which leads to employee frustration which would explain the abhorrently high turnover rate. The work is mind numbing and soul sucking. The managers might as well be hovering over you with the threat of chain whippings if you don't move along in the rat cage fast enough. Politics plays a major role in how management's treatment of their employees when it is a fact that the warehouse does not provide housing for the ones they feel as though it is their lives to work for them, where nothing else is to interfere with the company's productivity. You do not have a brain. You do not have needs. You are a robot who is to slave away for 10-12 hours at a time. You are not to have a life when working here, otherwise you will be looked down upon for not focusing solely on the business. Good luck to those who find this useful.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the politics and come to the realization that you have actual people working for you and are not immune from the day-to-day goings on of this thing we call life.

"no advancement toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Little Elm, TX
    Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Little Elm, TX

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen (More than 3 years)

Pros

medical dental vacation time is good

Cons

management is unprofessional and promote people based on relationships and not on merit, education, or experience. Management is extremely biased and HR dept. backs management. Work environment is toxic. Management states open door then labels you when used. Also, they are losing patients and reimbursement contracts quickly, revenue is diminishing each month. AmerisourceBergen did a massive lay off recently.

"Patient Case Coordinator"

Current Employee - Patient Case Coordinator in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Patient Case Coordinator in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have decent health benefits. They also offer free coffee and drinks. There is a fitness center at the new location.

Cons

Company has turned into a call center. Highly micromanaged. Hard to move up. Promotion isn't based on education and skill-set, but more on who you know and if your management is willing to "talk you up." Bonuses are based on quantity not quality, so often the top performer has the worst quality work. Same job titles entail different responsibilities team by team. So you can do double the work on your team than someone with the same title on another team, and still get paid the same.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees feedback. They are the ones taking calls, verifying benefits and processing applications. Stop treating your employees like children. Adults shouldn't be told what time to go to lunch and when they are allowed to take their 15min breaks.

"Terrible manager."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

They pay well and on time.

Cons

No work life balance. Manager is very sensitive. Co-workers are kiss arses and I don't trust them.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the manager.

"If you don't need a life"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant M&As, equals tons of work. Co-workers are great. There is definitely a "we are in this together" mentality for the most part. Decent health care. Decent matching 401k. Decent paid time off (if you are allowed to take it)

Cons

Exponential layers of management, people not qualified to manage people, haven't a clue about leadership and what it truly entails, haven't a clue about the hands on work necessary.

Advice to Management

Purge extensively. Go through the ranks and see who is truly contributing and who is just layer on layer...who has been there for ten plus years and just going through the motions, who has had plenty of issues retaining people.

"Benefit Verification Specialists"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Decent pay and have learned how to complete benefit verifications.

Cons

Seasonal work. We are only working 35 hours currently. Will end

"Employees don't quit jobs, they quit toxic companies"

Current Employee - Business Unit Director in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Business Unit Director in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time

Pros

As many have posted, there are absolutely no accolades with which to grace AmerisourceBergen or anyone in a senior leadership role.

Cons

This is the type of company that you run away from, make an appointment with a therapist, and undergo years of therapy to recover from what you have been put through.

Our compensation packages are market bottom; bottom of the barrel scraping poor. We cannot recruit any real talent with these salaries so we end up hiring the worst of the worst. We end up with new hires that have absolutely zero leadership skills, no chance of ever becoming leaders, yet think that the adolescent attitude that got them through high school will prevail in the corporate world. In 4 years, I have lost all of my top performers. You should see what I am left with and what I can afford to hire!

Make no mistake, the company is making money. But it is being bled dry by senior leadership. We all see the articles in the news where $2.4 billion went to buy back company shares and the next day our CEO sold over 20,000 of his company granted stock options. That's were the money is going. It is certainly not going into my business unit's budget! Simultaneously, our bonus goals are close to impossible to achieve. Good luck reaching your 40% bonus goal under these conditions! We can't motivate or engage a single associate when the company is making billions yet is being run down into a flea market type of environment.

If you have any hopes of career advancement, keep on dreaming. The only way to advance within the current state of organizational dysfunction, is to be friends with someone who can promote you or to be part of the in crowd. You will not be promoted on experience, merit, education, or hard work. None of that matters when we are all insulating ourselves with our friends to ensure that we will never be threatened by someone more competent or knowledgeable. You will only reach the point that we allow you to reach. Yes, I am guilty of that practice. But in this internal environment, that is the reality and the practice.

Not convinced yet? Then some much needed perspective follows. Look at our top competitor's website; also, look at their GlassDoor site. Notice how they are an employee centered company? Notice how they portray themselves in the corporate world completely different than AmerisourceBergen? Read their GlassDoor reviews. The differences should tell you a lot. If you are internal to the organization, take a look at our Vision, Mission, and Values. There's nothing in there about you, about providing you with a world class working environment. It is all geared towards making that last buck.

Advice to Management

At a certain point all toxic organizations reach a point of no return. We have reached that point and pushed down on the gas pedal to go deeper into the abyss. Such a shame that what was once a desirable company, has been turned into a piggy bank to make a handful of people wealthy at the expense of those whose lives we should be improving. I know that you can't tell, I am referring to improving the lives of our associates.