Ameristar Casinos Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky
Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
Cons
  • Point system (which I've heard has been eliminated) (in 8 reviews)

• Poor management; harassment and intimidating; midnights (in 7 reviews)

1. "Dealer"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in East Chicago, IN

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits, uniform is free, pet insurance

Cons

Management. I was a good dealer.. the best performance in class only 2 weeks in when I was dismissed because I couldn't afford to purchase a closed toe shoe. I was wearing my aunts shoes to attend class, when notified I couldn't wear my sandals.. Last minute I was told she had to go to service and needed her shoes.. I searched the house to find a pair and I only had the sandals... I was casually dressed everyday... they make no compromise or extend help to students who are sacrificing no learn for free to make a investment in their future. Honesty is the best policy two days I was late to avoid paying tolls, and I found a better route to get to the class,, the last week everyday I was on time aside from the elevators being broken on all floors which delayed me 5 minutes!!!!! I was 10 minutes early for class.......

Advice to Management

Be mindful who you let go of as a couple of reasonable times being late and not able to afford shoes at the moment isn't a reason to fire someone... you had a person in the class who cant count, not paying attention, a person with long nails who isn't paying attention, a person who never dressed business casual, and a rude future dealers. I on the other hand dominated as a dealer with only having minimal experience and followed the rules for the most part....

"Why? Pinnacle is just awful"

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the job and the benefits are good but really expensive

Cons

They got rid of the only GM worth talking about. He was there for our best 6 years since opening and when Pinnacle came in, like so many others he was let go. So was the Agm, the Direcotr of finance and the VP of Tanles. They were the best. Now we have the revolving door of GMs - 2 amateurs in the past 3 year. Some of the top guys are so rude and this would never have been allowed before. How do you lose so many good people in the space of a coup,e of months and expect the place to ever be good again if you don't have the right leaders?

Advice to Management

Get rid of the amateurs and get A decent team back

"Don't Bother"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

Pros

Pay was more than minimum wage

Cons

Since there is no union they are allowed to treat the employees like crap and do away with you when you are no longer of use to them. Shows favortism to all of their friends since management positions are basically workers who moved up the ranks. Very much like high school, you go to a higher up to resolve an issue with someone in confidence and they run back and tell the other employee everything you told them. They are very gossipy BEWARE!

Advice to Management

Clean house and start over. I was at the East Chicago, Indiana, location.

"Just a number"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee dining room was good they usually had a wide variety and also made to order things, not just leftovers from the buffet.

Cons

I walked in one day after a very big vote to get rid of the loss limits in Missouri and was told I wasn't needed any longer. I was 1 of 75 dealers that happened to that day.

Advice to Management

Try treating your employees like people, not just a number. Stand behind your dealers when there is a beef on the table and the customer is obviously wrong.

5. "dealer"

Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Gary, IN

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not real expectations for their employees

Cons

everyone is nice and has good things to say

Advice to Management

be fair

6. "It sucks."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a job.

Cons

Their pay and benefits suck. You have to call 50 people, departments, and agencies every time you breathe.

Advice to Management

Find real jobs.

7. "EVS BLUES"

Former Employee - Environmental Services (EVS) in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Environmental Services (EVS) in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Best General Manager ever. He will listen to your concerns and try to address them. Overall good people to work with. Some good and excellent supervisors in EVS and other departments. Great team members for the most part.

Cons

Where do I start? The managers of EVS are really bad and do not promote respect for the
    EVS team. One of the managers spy and prey on employees. Another manager lies and tries to cover up wrong doings. Pay for the team members are low and do get a wage increase. Human Resources tends to NOT be proactive. They tend to lie about how things are going and be "stuck on stupid". This Casino has a high turnover rate. It comes down to different management styles (or the lack there of from managers and department heads) and the issue of negative and disrespectful guests. Pinnacle Entertainment has messed up Ameristar. I will never recommend EVS or Security to no one.

Advice to Management

Let's try to listen and be honest to the employees. Work on the constant pain points that current and former employees have. Human Resources needs to focus more on helping employees, not settling on losing employees ( if items can be fixed). EVS managers at Ameristar Kansas City needs to be given the boot. They DO NOT contribute anything to the department. Give reasonable raises for those who work hard and have put in years in their department(s).

8. "Not very work friendly"

Former Employee - EMT/Security in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - EMT/Security in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing really stands out that would be considered a pro. You get to meet all different kinds of people who come to gamble.

Cons

Can get written up for everything. If you don't believe they'll write you up for some of the dumbest things like walking past an empty drink glass and putting it away to get cleaned or not picking up a piece of paper and throwing it away, think again they will write you up for it.
    Requesting PTO is hard to do
    Not getting paid extra for working holidays but you get double points for calling off on a holiday.

"Former GSA"

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a casino in a boat. You get to pay for a hot meal. You get to see everyone blow their money.

Cons

Everything from all of the co-workers being dramatic to having to bid for your shift and hope the schedule they give you works out with the rest of your life, even if you are part time and were hired with a set schedule. The manangemt are all kiss arses and will tell you they like your outfit (even thou its the same uniform you always wear) right before they ask a huge favor from you. They also don't care for their guests unless they drop all their money there. The pay is terrible for what you have to do. For example GSA's (the front desk employees) have 3 different jobs for the same pay. Also if you transfer departments its like saying bye to your raise for another year, almost like getting rehired.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay. Get rid of shift biding. Stop favoriting employees.

"The upper management doesn't appreciate the employees."

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, fun environment, decent pay

Cons

Horrible hours, part time benefits were taken away, forced to change work schedule at upper management's will regardless of school/life schedules, kept hiring more people while still cutting people's hours

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, you wouldn't lose so many great workers if you would treat them better.