Ameristar Casinos Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky
Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
Cons
  • Point system (which I've heard has been eliminated) (in 8 reviews)

• Poor management; harassment and intimidating; midnights (in 7 reviews)

1. "Casino Dealing creates business experience that you can't get from any where else. The customer contact is great."

Current Employee - Tables Games Dealer in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Tables Games Dealer in Saint Charles, MO

Pros

At Ameristar you get a chance to meet alot of people. If you're in school its a very good place to start networking. Its also just an all around fun job. You're litterally playing games 8 - 10 hours a day and you get to see alot of beautiful and friendly people. Its almost like getting paid to play at work.

Cons

The hours were not pleasing, but it is the Entertainment Industry so the hours are made when they need you. Personal weekends are basically no more, the casino recieves its highest activity during weekends so of course they will need every dealer.

Advice to Management

I would just say to continue to give the dealers positive and negative feedback. Cut back on the Micro-management, even though its a casino industry and security must be set at High Alert. Try to allow dealers to branch out and develop their own way of dealing while staying within the guidelines OF COURSE.

2. "It was a good place to work but the location is difficult from Denver in any sort of weather. Overall its a good family"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Black Hawk, CO

Pros

people are great. Fun and lively environment.

Cons

Location, gaming licenses required for most positions.

Advice to Management

share more information with employees.

3. "Overall I loved working for Ameristar Casino. Only problem was management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They seem to care a lot for the team members. Out of all the other casinos in the area, this one is cleanest and most friendly. I loved all my fellow team members and the guests were pretty great too. It's not a boring job ever.

Cons

Upper management was the only problem. They were all stuck up and had their heads up their own a**. They only worried about them selves and had no problem throwing you under the bus to save their own job.

Advice to Management

Don't be so stupid and take responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming another team member and getting them fired.

4. "Love knowing how much money I make a month....."

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Black Hawk, CO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love being hourly because I know how much money I make a month.
    Love having some responsibility and having a more advanced title as that can boost my resume.
    Love working in a 4 Diamond Hotel/Resort.
    Love being separate from casino.
    Beautiful location to work.
    Nice benefit options.

Cons

Not a huge fan of dealing with comps, coupons and having to tell someone they can't stay for the night, even if we have rooms available because the coupon is sold out.
    Listening to people complain and feel that they are so entitled because they lost $1000 last month.

Advice to Management

Stick to policies. Don't refund a no-show just because they complain (too bad it was their fault they didn't call or show up), don't give out comps just because the floor was too noisy. Don't make exceptions....

5. "Good Temporary Job"

Former Employee - Gift Shop Attendant in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Gift Shop Attendant in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work independently, your ideas are taken into consideration (since you often interact with customers alone), get to set up displays how you want them, decent pay for retail, good money-handling experience

Cons

Can be isolating on slow days without anybody to talk to, often people will come in while others are gaming just out of boredom and just talk to you or rant to you, are in charge of opening/closing/all cleaning on own, not much room to move up in such a tiny department, hours can change frequently and inconveniently (probably true of any casino job), management is often not present for any questions/input

Advice to Management

Get a door so customers can't sneak in/out of gate when opening and closing is in process, increase the lighting so it isn't so dim (causes sleepiness)

6. "Surveillance Technician at Ameristar Casinos"

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time

Pros

Good pay, friendly atmosphere, competitive benefits.

Cons

Long hours, some senior management lacks leadership skills

7. "Great place for part time people/ students"

Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great pay
    flexible hours
    managers are nice and easy to talk to

Cons

not a lot of hours for part time
    not allowed to go overtime

8. "Exciting job, lots of interesting people both internally and externally but...I could never support my family alone."

Former Employee - Valet in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Valet in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of fun. Like I said it was an exciting and fast paced environment to work in. Met many people I would never have had the chance to working as a limo driver.

Cons

I worked there almost 7 years and even won a team member of the year award but I could never get into a position that provided enough for me to support my small family of 4.

Advice to Management

Take the time to consider your existing human capital so they have a chance to advance to a career instead of a pyramid of mid grade managers

9. "Great company that really tries to show appreciation of all Team Members."

Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO
    Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely guest service oriented. Generous cash bonuses for Team Member/Leader of the Year, based on performance and guest service. Nurtures positive atmosphere from Team Members. Team Member dining room available daily with payroll deduction; never have to worry about not having a meal for your shift. Great opportunities to move up. They are very open to moving people into different departments.

Cons

I lived in Denver and worked in Black Hawk. The commute was very wearing. Once you get to salary, they ride you like cattle. Expect to work far more hours and make less hourly than your staff.

Advice to Management

Pay your middle and upper management their worth.

10. "beverage server"

Former Employee - Beverage Server
    Former Employee - Beverage Server

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment , lots of fun people

Cons

Lots of walking , hard on feet