Ameristar Casinos Reviews | Glassdoor

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky
Gordon R. Kanofsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Point system (which I've heard has been eliminated) (in 8 reviews)

• Poor management; harassment and intimidating; midnights (in 7 reviews)

1. "A soul crushing experience."

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

It was good to experience the many cultures that work at Ameristar.

Cons

50+ hour work weeks (managers in other departments worked 40), limited time off given, comps taken away, incompetency of upper management, worked managers during recession to the point of physical exhaustion, and attitude toward human capital went from good to cruel.

Advice to Management

Bring back more full time employees. Went from 90/10 FT/PT to 55/45, and hire more managers. I worked in a room that had five managers a couple of years ago and had to go it alone for six weeks while managing another venue.

2. "Not that great..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

They do have benefits for part-timers (even if they're not that great), and they are pretty flexible in schedules to accommodate school and family.

Cons

Since the British management came in in 2000, the place has gone majorly downhill. They show a lot of disrespect to employees and are EXTREMELY unaccommodating to given realistic shift start and end times. Sometimes you may have to stay hours late without notice (which you're never rewarded or appreciated it for), but God forbid, if you clock in 5 seconds late, you are severely punished without leniency. Throwing up or or having an asthma attack and the EMTs determine you need to go home and you're punished (rigid attendance point system). They expect employees to come to work in EXTREME hazardous winter weather conditions (like when they tell you not to leave your house or you risk death), and will send you home immediately due to no customers. They have an open-door policy, but it is extremely difficult to get to who you want to speak to, and when you do - they are usually condescending and act you're like beneath them. They have a lot of propaganda scattered around employee parts of the casino on how great they are and how much they care about their employees, but continue to show a strong sense of disrespect to them through they're action. We have a dining room in the back, and slowly but surely they cut back costs so that they kept removing people's favorite foods one by one. They give you insurance if you're a part-timer, but it's pretty terrible and lots of people end up with $700 bills for a routine check-up. They also have you walk to your car in the dark late at night without much light or security. They just don't show a lot of respect to their employees.

Advice to Management

Show greater care to your employees and also to your customers. I constantly hear valid customer complaints about how Ameristar treats them with disrespect and I tend to agree.

"Disappointing and Frustrating - Overall Bad Experience (Generally not due to most of the Team Members)"

Former Employee - Management in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Management in Kansas City, MO

Pros

People (Team Members) were great (for the most part) and the casino itself had an overall fun and diverse staff of people. Benefits were fairly decent. Team Member dining area was exceptional.

Cons

How well you do (are appreciated/liked/evaluated) is generally and quite often based on the team member’s popularity and acquiescence to management directives rather than one's qualifications and abilities. Failure to be popular and/or selected to be included in the “In Crowd” ensures a very short term of employment with Ameristar.

In addition, I was told that at Ameristar a management/executive “Suggestion” was actually a management/executive “Directive” and expected to be followed and/or executed. This is difficult when several “Chiefs” give differing “Suggestions” that are at times vastly conflicting ensuring that you are placed in a Catch 22 situation as you have to pick one of these recommendations or disregard all of them and implement your own ideas. Choosing one suggestion/directive over the others predictably means that the other managers/executives feel that their ideas and suggestions were ignored creating an atmosphere of animosity and resentment by those whose ideas were not applied.

At all levels of the casino both backstabbing and preferential treatment run rampant at the Kansas City location. Everyone appears to be out to ensure that they get in the limelight and in their relentless attempts to compete for the recognition of their superiors many of them run over anyone who gets in the way of their success. The strong fear of management/executive reprisal combined with the overwhelming anxiety of feeling that one’s job is constantly threatened drives team members and management to point out everything and everyone for anything they can (no matter how insignificant) that elevates them in their position and diverts the attention off of them and their job performance and/or lack thereof. Certain team members do next to nothing other than the previously mentioned sabotage of their follow TMs while others work exhaustibly to do their jobs proficiently.

They have an open-door policy, but it is extremely ineffective and many of the staff profess as to how incredible they are (the HR TM relations department in particular although it is not limited to that department alone) and how much they care about their Team members, however; they continue to do just the opposite by means of their disrespect through their actions and general lack of and/or inadequate resolution to many of the issues presented to them.

To conclude, the work environment (other than the associations I had with most TMs) was frustrating, confusing and disappointing. This is most definitely a job that I would strongly encourage anyone that I feel a concern about (friends/family) to “Avoid at All Costs” especially if you appreciate a more structured and professional work environment. To those others reading this – Take from it what you will.

Advice to Management

To echo another reviewer’s suggestion: “Get your act together, before it is too late.” Seek out the people hidden in the system that “appear” to be doing their jobs, however; do very little other than create issues for other TMs.

4. "Worst Company I've Worked For Ever"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to working here

Cons

They tell you one thing and do another, alot of backstabbing and lying. Management tells you they care about you and your career while in reality they don't give a flying flip. Alot of micromanaging, they also count every little minor detail of a mistake against you. Very high turnover rate, low pay, no sick days. They also write you up if you call in sick, if you call in 9 times a year you're fired. They also won't let you take a vacation if you don't have PTO (paid time off). If you get suspended, call in or are late they take out of your PTO bank. Customers are jerks and call you a racist just because you are carding them to verify their age. Worst company I have ever worked for, a joke of an environment to say the least. Don't work here because, you will probably get fired over a very minor thing.

Advice to Management

Start treating Team Members as you want to be treated, stop firing people over silly, ridiculous stuff.

5. "Terrible Work Environment"

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive thing about this place is the pay. You can't make $20 an hour anywhere else for entertaining crabby mean people.

Cons

There is Sexual Harassment in the work place, crabby employees, crabby guests, supervisors are not smart, don't care about employees only are about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Start looking at the big picture, not at the little details

6. "Don't work here unless you are desperate"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sous Chef in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a stable job when I first moved to Kansas City. The pay was not bad and the employees were friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Terrible customers who are very rude. The worst I've experienced really. A lot of angry customers with drinking,drug and gambling problems who are abusive towards staff. Management does little about this and does not respect its employees. Management makes their employees wait on drunk obnoxious belligerent people on a regular basis because they put their money in a slot machine so that makes it ok. A joke of an environment really. If you want to make any money you must work nights and weekends so don't expect to have any sort of a life while working here. Rigid/impossible points system is practiced unless you are Vietnamese or Haitian. Luckily I found another job after a year and quit. I'm so glad.

Advice to Management

Do something about the drunk/abusive customers instead of ignoring it.

7. "Bullying does exist here"

Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers were great to work with, pay was good in certain departments/job titles depending on your position, was within close proximity to where I used to live and go to school, casino industry in general is fast paced and you stay busy.

Cons

Harassment does exist here. Bullying and harassment from customers directed at employees is very bad at the kansas city location and management allows it to happen regularly. There is also harassment coming from management towards hourly employees. If you ignore it, it gets worse but standing your ground proves difficult. Overall very hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Start respecting your employees and do something about the abusive guests who ruin it for everyone. Please start treating employees with the respect and dignity they deserve. They work hard and want to see things go well.

8. "Used to be good, now it is awful."

Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer in Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer in Black Hawk, CO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a dealer, the tips are the best in town, although going down because of the addition of a bunch of tables and progressive carnival games.

Cons

Many. The management here has become some of the most incompetent, punishing and retaliatory I have ever worked with. Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble. Lying to employees is a specialty here. They have a set of values they shove down employees throats but don't follow themselves.

Advice to Management

Have a real open door policy. Start caring about employees. Show some appreciation to employees. Follow you values.

9. "Terrible how you are treated as an employee"

Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch was $2.50 in the Hot line and Free for the salad bar along with free pop, milk, and juice. Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one).

Cons

Where do I start? I've been harassed by other employees during my light duty after I injured my back on the job. (I actually had one cussing and yelling that she wished she can "Sit on her ass for 8 hours a day, do nothing, and still get paid!" Directed towards me of course.) Went to my supervisor and hotel director and they had a little talk with the employee, but her high and almighty attitude towards me did not change.

The Point system is awful! If you're a second late, it;s a half point. If your dog passed away, they don't care, it's a point, sometimes a point and a half if you don't call in two hours ahead. It takes a year to get 1 point back and you only get 9 of them a year, so if you make it up to 8.5 and your late one more time, you're done.

And now to the most important part: Why I came here to write this. They don't care if you have EMERGENCY SURGERY!!! They will come up with some excuse as to why they can't grant you personal leave (30 days unpaid, but hey you still have a job!) after you don't qualify for FMLA (you have to be there for a year, I worked there for 8 months), and they will give you a line of bull and tell you to come in and sign a VOLUNTARY form of resignation so you can "be considered rehire-able in the future."

Funny, I get injured on the job and two months later they can't accommodate me after surgery...

Anyways, the management team is condescending towards you if you come to them with a problem. They will give you coachings left and right (at first good to make it seem like youre the best employee ever) and will write you up for the most stupid reasons. (I made the mistake of stacking two tiny boxes on top of each other and I didn't bend right, in front of my supervisor, who also wrote me up for being too slow in productivity my 2nd day back from light duty...Advice: Watch your back!)

Advice to Management

Show more Care & Compassion for your Employees!!!!

10. "HORRIBLE JOB"

Current Employee - Host/Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Host/Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is absolutely no pros at for this job its the worst job to have and management sucks.

Cons

EVERYTHING. Management is the WORST. its nothing but favoritism, and being treated badly. Management doesnt keep their promises or treat you right at all.worst job ive ever had in my life.