Ameristar Casinos Reviews | Glassdoor

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky
Gordon R. Kanofsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Point system (which I've heard has been eliminated) (in 8 reviews)

• Poor management; harassment and intimidating; midnights (in 7 reviews)

1. "Former Slot Attendant"

Former Employee - Slot Attendant in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Slot Attendant in Golden, CO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate supervisors are generally promoted from the staff. They are empathetic and mostly a pleasure to work for.

Cons

The casino management itself and the decisions coming down from corporate violate labor law / labor rights of employees routinely. Business decisions are made that line the pockets of the ownership at the expense of employee morale. Getting to know the regular "guests" to the casino is a pleasure, and its great to have strong relationships with people and have fun with them, however it will consume your soul to bear witness to people destroying their lives through gambling addiction. Myself and many coworkers were battling depression/suicidal issues due to this constant heartbreaking.

2. "Table Games dealers & supervisors"

Former Employee - Table Games in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Table Games in East Chicago, IN

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, but not the greatest quality.
    As long as you have PTO available you get paid even when you call off

Cons

Unorganized, favoritism, harassment, toxic work environment! No recognition, mandatory overtime, shady tactics. There's so many better paying casinos I would only suggest Ameristar East Chicago as a last resort.

Advice to Management

Needs to be replaced... Their bonuses are based on their profit margin, so their dealers & supervisors are the ones who suffer.

3. "Cashier"

Pros

free lunch for the employees

Cons

management and favoritism as well as guest bad attitudes

4. "Dealer"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in East Chicago, IN

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits, uniform is free, pet insurance

Cons

Management. I was a good dealer.. the best performance in class only 2 weeks in when I was dismissed because I couldn't afford to purchase a closed toe shoe. I was wearing my aunts shoes to attend class, when notified I couldn't wear my sandals.. Last minute I was told she had to go to service and needed her shoes.. I searched the house to find a pair and I only had the sandals... I was casually dressed everyday... they make no compromise or extend help to students who are sacrificing no learn for free to make a investment in their future. Honesty is the best policy two days I was late to avoid paying tolls, and I found a better route to get to the class,, the last week everyday I was on time aside from the elevators being broken on all floors which delayed me 5 minutes!!!!! I was 10 minutes early for class.......

Advice to Management

Be mindful who you let go of as a couple of reasonable times being late and not able to afford shoes at the moment isn't a reason to fire someone... you had a person in the class who cant count, not paying attention, a person with long nails who isn't paying attention, a person who never dressed business casual, and a rude future dealers. I on the other hand dominated as a dealer with only having minimal experience and followed the rules for the most part....

"Why? Pinnacle is just awful"

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the job and the benefits are good but really expensive

Cons

They got rid of the only GM worth talking about. He was there for our best 6 years since opening and when Pinnacle came in, like so many others he was let go. So was the Agm, the Direcotr of finance and the VP of Tanles. They were the best. Now we have the revolving door of GMs - 2 amateurs in the past 3 year. Some of the top guys are so rude and this would never have been allowed before. How do you lose so many good people in the space of a coup,e of months and expect the place to ever be good again if you don't have the right leaders?

Advice to Management

Get rid of the amateurs and get A decent team back

6. "Only take the job if there's nothing else, then keep looking"

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time

Pros

Hourly Employees and immediate management are awesome. Great people to work and have fun with on a daily basis. A lot of different types of people from different backgrounds.

Cons

They only care about numbers and unfortunately only cater to the high rollers. They want to be the high class/VIP casino. So basically about 100 people or so. Over the last year they have proceeded to kill business by forgetting about the "Filler" gamblers. So, because they don't feel appreciated for their business, people are going elsewhere.

As an employee of Ameristar, the big bad corporation, they could care less about you. You, as an employee, are replaceable! If you like to throw your nose to where the sun doesn't shine, you may get ahead. They do not pay the immediate managers enough. Upper management may give you a hello and a fake smile. Don't expect them to thank you for the work that you do, or try to get to know you as a person. It's too far to step off of their pedestals. They cut corners wherever they can to conserve their bonuses. A very dirty and disgusting place!!!

Advice to Management

Take yourself back to when you were coming up; Then look in the mirror. What would you think about you?

"Don't Bother"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

Pros

Pay was more than minimum wage

Cons

Since there is no union they are allowed to treat the employees like crap and do away with you when you are no longer of use to them. Shows favortism to all of their friends since management positions are basically workers who moved up the ranks. Very much like high school, you go to a higher up to resolve an issue with someone in confidence and they run back and tell the other employee everything you told them. They are very gossipy BEWARE!

Advice to Management

Clean house and start over. I was at the East Chicago, Indiana, location.

"Just a number"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee dining room was good they usually had a wide variety and also made to order things, not just leftovers from the buffet.

Cons

I walked in one day after a very big vote to get rid of the loss limits in Missouri and was told I wasn't needed any longer. I was 1 of 75 dealers that happened to that day.

Advice to Management

Try treating your employees like people, not just a number. Stand behind your dealers when there is a beef on the table and the customer is obviously wrong.

9. "dealer"

Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Gary, IN

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not real expectations for their employees

Cons

everyone is nice and has good things to say

Advice to Management

be fair

10. "No Care, No Integrity, No Value"

Pros

Not a single thing .

Cons

From top (CEO Anthony Sanfillipo) all the way down, nobody genuinely cares about the people. Numbers are the only thing that executive Managment focuses on.

Advice to Management

Your people are leaving because you don't care about them. Start treating them like you want to be treated (or better).