Ameritech College of Healthcare Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2020

3.4
Ameritech College of Healthcare CEO Sherry Jones  (no image)
Sherry Jones

"Outstanding employer for those that embrace innovation and carry a positive attitude."

Current Employee - Middle Management in Draper, UT

I have been working at Ameritech College of Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ameritech encourages innovation and is open to new ideas. The HR team creates a welcoming culture and goes the extra mile to make employees feel welcomed and part of the family. College leadership is not afraid to invest heavily in academic/clinical resources requested by staff. The college seeks to offer unique educational experiences and is on a path to pioneering a new approach that will fundamentally change the way students learn and grow as healthcare providers by infusing diversity that will remove barriers and build bridges across the globe. This methodology is the right path for students that will undoubtedly inspire life long learning in our globally connected world.

Cons

Parking is a challenge, but the college is dedicated to solving this issue and has a plan in motion.

April 6, 2020HR Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and give us advice on Glassdoor! I am proud of Ameritech and the programs and rigor we offer to both the employees and students. Our mission (To prepare people to serve as competent professionals, advance their careers, and pursue lifelong learning.) is vibrant because of employees like you! The most successful employees and students will align with the high standards represented in our mission and our values.

"Unethical"

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty

I worked at Ameritech College of Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, location, loved the people I worked with

Cons

Admit students for money, don't care about them after. This is a puppy mill for nursing students.

March 2, 2020HR Director

Thank you for your review. As we haven't had a tenured faculty member leave in quite some time, it seems there are some old wounds addressed here. I'm sorry you left us and ultimately aren't able to heal and see the good we accomplish. As you know, Ameritech produces skilled, successful, and sought-after nurses. It's what we're best known for, for over a decade. While I've passed this review to our nursing team, please feel free to reach out to me directly at ajohnson@ameritech.edu to discuss in greater detail. Employees who enjoy a positive culture and align with our values of Learning, Integrity, Service, Excellence, and Caring tend to thrive in our environment. I am proud of Ameritech and the contagiously positive employees I get to work with everyday.

"Very satisfied and happy to be here."

I have been working at Ameritech College of Healthcare

Pros

Lots of opportunity to shine and grow. The College is growing and in the right direction!

Cons

Nothing to highlight here. It’s a great place.

December 16, 2019HR Director

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your contagious positive attitude!

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at Ameritech College of Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting to know the people you work with here is very easy as long as you're willing. There are tons of events and get togethers that are optional to go to. Most everyone is willing to help on projects that aren't even in their job description simply because they want to see each other succeed.

Cons

I've heard there are communication issues, not for me though. If I need something explained or I need to communicate something that isn't getting through, I just go talk to the person or people involved directly.

July 22, 2019HR Director

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I admire your approach to communication and are pleased to hear you are able to gather all the information you need to do your job effectively. I see your Ameritech values shining through in your post, I'm proud of your outlook. We are trying to consider better break room options as we go through each phase of improvements, thanks for your advice.

"Better Everyday"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Draper, UT

Pros

Ameritech is a growing college that works to produce skilled graduates from their healthcare programs. These results are very noticeable with high pass rates on state exams. (Higher than most all other colleges or universities in the state.) The new Human Resources Department has worked tirelessly over the past year to implement many new resources for employees. Better benefits have been put into place, paid time off has been enhanced, tuition reimbursement has been implemented, and a new employee recognition plan has produced great results. The work atmosphere is more friendly and collegial now. The new motto of "Assume Good Intent" is paying off. The college is currently investing greatly in appropriate staffing and new equipment and supplies. The new Simulation Center and Anatomy Lab will be a boon to the students. Management is working to implement best practices and policies, build a stable environment, and listen to employee suggestions. The company is more financially stable as a result, giving employees security in their jobs. Because Ameritech is growing, job opportunities and employee development are plentiful.

Cons

With the recent change to basically all administrative roles within the past year, the college has seen a large shift in vision and some protocols. Because this shift occurred abruptly, employees had a large adjustment to make as well. Trust in the process has been slow, but appears to be gaining momentum. Communication has been a con, but with employee input and management's willingness to listen, this has also improved. Sometimes current employees are not given a chance for advancement in lieu of attempts to find someone from outside the corporation. Management needs to work on orientation programs for all positions.

July 15, 2019HR Director

Thank you for your praise and insight in to the enhancements of the employee experience at Ameritech. The human resource department at Ameritech is very lucky to be supported by leadership that allows us to act as a strategic business partner and help our employees feel supported, learn, and grow. We always strive to do better and offer more; comments like yours help steer our initiatives. I appreciate you and your willingness to take the time to write a review that has a tremendous amount of influence. Keep up the great work!

"Great College invests in People"

Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Draper, UT

I have been working at Ameritech College of Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The College focuses on people. College Administration invests in the learning environment, staff, and students. The College is a leader in Nursing Education. This is a College that walks the walk.

Cons

There are no major cons but we do have to mindful of parking and the dust during the remodel, very minor overall.

July 2, 2019HR Director

Thank you so much for sharing your positive outlook of Ameritech! It is so nice to have you recognize Ameritech for its outstanding learning environment and the leadership for their amazing contribution to the people. I, like you, admire people that demonstrate our values. I promise all the dust will pay off! Our new SIM Center will be an inspiration to us all.

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Student Services-LMS in Draper, UT

Pros

Ameritech has an amazing unlimited time off policy. They are also very understanding and considerate of their employees. Management has been making great changes to help the company be more employee centered. For example they have a great tuition payment benefits. I think the best part of Ameritechs management is that they have an open door policy. If needed you can walk directly into your manager's office, or even the CEO's office and talk to them about concerns.

Cons

Some employees are very self centered. They don't understand or are willing to understand why changes are made. And they don't know how to advocate for themselves effectively.

June 3, 2019HR Director

Thank you for expressing your positive outlook of Ameritech. I just enjoyed some of that wonderful time off; this was a nice note to find upon my return. Thanks for all you do!

8. "Going Downhill Fast"

Former Employee - Faculty in Draper, UT

I worked at Ameritech College of Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about the College is the students. These are hard-working people who deserve more ch better for the money they are paying

Cons

Where to start! The student population has doubled in the past two years (since the owner took over).. There is not adequate space for these students let alone space for faculty! We shared the tiniest office and most faculty had no space at all. We were teaching a ridiculous number of sections of each course and we have no subs. The students have no idea when they sign up that they will not be getting great clinical training. Most of their clinical training is in “simulation” which is a great “supplement” to clinical training but is certainly not the way to be trained overall. And we know that good clinical training, particularly their capstone course is what leads to great jobs at graduation. What will happen when the College puts out graduates who cannot get jobs? It’s an absolute train wreck waiting to happen, which is why I left when I did!!

July 2, 2019HR Director

Thank you for your review. As we haven't had a faculty member leave in quite some time, it seems there are some old wounds addressed here. I'm sorry you left us and ultimately aren't able to heal and see the good we accomplish. As you know, Ameritech produces skilled, successful, and sought-after nurses. It's what we're best known for, for over a decade. While I've passed this review to our nursing team, please feel free to reach out to me directly at ajohnson@ameritech.edu to discuss in greater detail.

9. "Nursing Program is Headed Downhill Fast"

Current Employee - Staff in Draper, UT

Pros

Caring faculty who are simply trying to do their best with little resources

Cons

The overall mood at the College has changed dramatically over the past few years. It used to be a "family" who did what was best for the students. Now it is much more about the number of students we can get and how much tuition they can pay. Student complaints have grown 1000% due to the lack of faculty and gross lack of proper nursing training. Staff and faculty do their best but we can only do so much as we cannot meet the needs of the number of students. One of my colleagues referred to it as a "diploma mill" as unfortunately, the college has lost its great reputation in the community. We are all worried about students being able to find jobs and what the long-term consequences are of growing too fast, just to give all the money to the owner. Truly sad what has happened and is continuing to happen. If you are looking for work, this is not what it used to be.

"WARNING: Steer Clear"

Current Employee - Staff in Draper, UT

Pros

Located off a freeway (easy access), students who are dedicated to the hard work of the program, most of the nursing faculty. You can get $50 a month paid towards student loans.

Cons

The building is not structured for a college. Parking is a nightmare. Very “top-heavy” administration and there is a high turnover of staff and other employees. Cliquish and not friendly. Very expensive to attend school if you’re a student (right around 60k for an associates degree). No raises for a long time (for faculty who do the work and teach 100 or more students in each cohort) but administration continue to get bonuses. They made it so you have to use PTO for what Ameritech designates as holidays, whether you want to or not. Academic calendar Ameritech created is a joke and students are frustrated because you don’t get breaks between semesters (2-3 days).

March 11, 2019HR Director

Please attend an employee forum and voice your issues openly. I think you will find if you connect more with leaders and peers in a positive way, most of your concerns are not warranted or in the process of being improved.

Found 43 reviews