Amey Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andy Milner

Pros
  • Very flexible working patterns, innovative company, lots of opportunity to move roles (in 8 reviews)

• Excellent working environment great company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you are on their Graduate scheme your career progression options are very limited (in 5 reviews)

• Oxford Head-Office isn't practical or well located (in 3 reviews)

1. "Work Experience"

Pros

Everyone was very welcoming and helpful. The managers provided the interns with all the resources needed to succeed within the position.

Cons

The finance team was disorganized at times and there wasn't a coherent flow of information between the departments.

"Great engineering heritage"

I worked at Amey full-time

Pros

Strong engineering knowhow
    Wide network of professionals across UK
    Opportunities for young / junior professionals to grow

Cons

Frequent restructuring programmes
    Legacy contracts limit potential to grow
    Somewhat outdated management style

Advice to Management

Keep / retain talent and pay more attention to the wellbeing of employees
    Increase transparency within the organisation

3. "Good employer with a room for improvement in certain areas"

I have been working at Amey full-time

Pros

Good development opportunities, although this is more down to the individual manager.
    Varied opportunities to develop a wide range of skills
    Good access to senior staff and their insight - not overly hierarchical.

Cons

Lack of join up between parts of the business inhibit effectiveness sometimes
    Do not pay market rate
    Oxford Head-Office isn't practical or well located.

Advice to Management

More joined up thinking
    Being more in touch with feeling on the front line
    Market rate pay for graduates and talent would help attrition rate.

Jan 24, 2017 – Reosurcing

Thank you for taking the time to send us your thoughts, it's great to hear about the variety of varied opportunities available. We absolutely take on board your comments about the need to be more ... More

5. "Very supportive"

Current Employee - Principal Business Improvement Manager
    Current Employee - Principal Business Improvement Manager

I have been working at Amey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loads of great opportunities if you're willing to put yourself out there. Progression is definitely core to Amey in everything they do.

Cons

Pay and benefits in line with the industry average, the internal approval processes can add some time to decisions which can cause frustration but is likely to be similar with most competitors and clients.

Advice to Management

Make more time for tomorrow.

Jan 20, 2017 – Resourcing

This is great, thank you for getting in touch and letting us know how you feel. As you point out there are many great opportunities within Amey for both employees and external candidates.

6. "Variety, opportunity and good people"

I have been working at Amey full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No two days are the same in my role. The projects I work on, and the people I work with, are so varied, there's no time to get bored. And there's opportunity for development too - for those who are willing to work for it.

But above all else, it's the people I work with and support, and those who support me, that are the reason I'm happy to arrive at work every day to together do the best possible job for our ultimate end users.

Cons

Amey is a huge business, and while this can be a pro in terms of variety, it can also be a con...in that processes/approaches can vary. Things can also get hectic, and take you across a vast geography, but again this can be a positive and keep things interesting.

Advice to Management

Amey is making all the right moves to become a diverse and inclusive employer. It's not there yet, but it's getting there. Keep this as a focus.

Consider what else can be done to retain talent. There are so many talented and experienced people at Amey, and these need to be kept.

Jan 20, 2017 – Resourcing

Thank you so much for the feedback, it's great to hear that you enjoy working for Amey and feel supported in your role. You mention the size of the business can sometimes be a con when thinking about ... More

7. "Dynamic business with lots of opportunities if you're proactive and positive"

I have been working at Amey full-time

Pros

Amey is a great place to work. Like any large organisation there will always be something you can find to complain about, but the positives far outweigh any challenges or gripes.
    It's a forward thinking place to be - flexible working is embraced and opportunities to travel, work on interesting projects and get involved in things is unlimited.
    I've been supported at all levels of my career with talent development programmes, secondments, overseas projects, and had a new role to excite me almost every 2 years or thereabouts.
    If you have the right mindset and attitude then Amey is a good place to be.

Cons

The organisation is facing challenges because of changes in the markets we operate in. This feels like a tough period for the company but there is a dedicated focus on transformation to make sure we are fit for the future which is reassuring. Our competitors are working through many of the same challenges though - it's a market thing.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating through these more challenging times. Your honesty throughout this period has been really welcomed and helps us all to work together to weather the storm for the greater good. We know you are working hard to steer Amey through this period to a successful and healthy future.

Jan 20, 2017 – Resourcing

This is great, thank you so much for taking time to share your in depth thoughts and feedback. As you point out, we are making some changes to our business to reflect market conditions but there’s ... More

8. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Amey part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work 4 days, supported by my manager and team, enjoy my work and like the overall aim of the company.

Cons

Poor line managers can negatively affect employee experiences. Frequent organisational changes are disruptive to moral and good people leave.

Advice to Management

Invest in training line manager's and hold them accountable, to ensure all employees are treated fairly and properly.

Jan 24, 2017 – Reosurcing

Thank you for your feedback, it's so great to hear that Amey are delivering on their commitment to support a flexible work life balance for all employees. We completely agree that a negative ... More

9. "It's a great place to work if you need work-life balance"

I have been working at Amey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Safe and secure workplace.
    - Very flexible working patterns, innovative company, lots of opportunity to move roles.
    - Trusted and respected people all around.
    - Great team-working environment.
    - Boundless capacity and opportunities like no other organisation.
    - Very supportive to professional growth and individual requirements.

Happy and proud to be employee of this large, prestigious organisation.

Cons

- Poor pay compared to other similar organisations.
    - TUPE’ed staff treated differently (Contracts need to be realigned)
    - Old fashioned values, poor leadership and communication. No clear direction in where the company is heading. Decisions seem to be reactive rather than proactive.
    - Sometimes processes appear to be extra complex - but keeping the size and security in mind, the complexity is often understandable.
    - Work harder to define and communicate strategy. Do more to understand marketplace.
    - High turn-over of staff, recognise employees who are doing a good job and don't let them become disgruntled and leave.
    - Try to see the best skills that each employee has to offer and put them in a position to thrive.

It's bureaucratic like all big organisations. It also needs to get faster at making and implementing decisions/change.

Advice to Management

- If Amey wants to encourage a more diverse workforce, they should consider the needs of underrepresented communities (women, people from different races and ethnicities etc) by talking to employees from those communities and implement changes that encourage inclusivity promptly.
    - Improve HR they are incredibly difficult to interact with.
    - All the "restructures" detract from work, lead to insecurities and demoralise staff.
    - Sort out the internal politics and optimise the organisation.

10. "Flexible working and interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Amey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to work from home and the work I do is interesting and the team supportive / people I work with easy to talk to.

Cons

There is a lot of change and things can get very busy with some very long hours

Jan 20, 2017 – Resourcing

Thank you for the positive feedback. It's great to hear that you are supported and have flexible working arrangements. As you point out there has been a lot change, we are making these changes to ... More

11. "Ok"

Former Employee - Assistant Engineer
    Former Employee - Assistant Engineer

I worked at Amey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provide a lot of support on each individual and flexible working hours are nice.

Cons

There isn't much progress on the job and your tasks get repetitive rather quickly.

Advice to Management

Improve career progression.

Jan 16, 2017 – Resourcing

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. We’re really happy that you felt supported during your time with Amey. It’s a shame that you felt there wasn’t much progression as we have many ... More