Amgen Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.0
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway
Pros
  • "Great benefits, life balance and great culture(in 221 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance, Time Off, Culture(in 220 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance is non-existent(in 101 reviews)

• "Decision-making is slow and inefficient(in 69 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Amgen and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Be a “yes man”

Feb 25, 2021 - Specialty Sales Representative in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive and uplifting culture, nice cars, good base salary

Cons

Reporting, busy work, favoritism, etc

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review. When planning for the future, we like to take all feedback, and reviews like yours are crucial in this process. Please know that our team can always be reached at amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more about your experience.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company, good culture, good benefits; great learning

Mar 28, 2021 - Principal Engineer in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amgen is real biotech, not one of the many pharmaceutical companies that evolved into biotech. So you have a lot to learn and contribute. You can easily pursue your career goals at Amgen and work at any organization you’re interested in provided you excel in your current role and show an interest to learn. My manager was a terrific person, probably the best I’ve had in my career.. and many Amgen managers are like that. The culture is good, open and everyone will work with you. When I say “collaboration”, I don’t just say it as one of the words that people throw around: Amgen employees really share information and collaborate well. I felt like I was at a close knit company despite being a large organization. I ended up leaving because of relocation/personal reasons but this is the organization I’d rate as ideal. Amgen is also relatively flat compared to other major biotech/pharma companies. Not at all top heavy as I imagined when I first joined. Enjoy your time at Amgen, get to learn the people and get to grow. Lastly, the benefits are very good and much better than other companies. Many employees complain about the yearly increase being 1-2%, but remember, almost everyone gets LTIs here that adds up, while other companies don’t always offer LTIs.

Cons

I honestly can’t think of cons. The only advice I’d give is to reduce the occurrence of meetings and maybe do things through email when you can. This is not unusual and happens in every company.

Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is our sincere goal to create an atmosphere where staff members feel supported. Please know that we are always available at amgen@careers.pure.cloud for you to share more about your experience.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Overall A Good Company

Apr 11, 2021 - Senior Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amgen PD has above all else a really good group of people and a great culture. They try to keep a start up feel and often encourage their scientists to work cross functionally. Great place to network and grow your skills.

Cons

There has been a lot of attrition in senior roles the last five years. This has the positive side effect of increasing upward mobility. However, it seems attrition has outpaced hiring in some places and it has lead to the slack falling in the rest of the group. Pay and raises could be better. I've noticed raises lately are at or below inflation no matter how well you do.

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Please know that our team can be reached at amgen@careers.pure.cloud if you would like to share more about your experience. Again, thank you for your review.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

May 6, 2021 - Manufacturing Manager in Juncos, PR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excelente benefits. Nice work environment. Diversity and people’s care. Awesome mission. Focused on patients.

Cons

Normal industry stress due to nature of work.

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. If there's anything else you'd like to share with our team, please do not hesitate to reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more. Again, thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent!

May 7, 2021 - Manufacturing Technician II in West Greenwich, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is fantastic and the work environment is top notch.

Cons

Slow promotion or advancement opportunities

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Supply Chain Experience

May 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance. Friendly and colloborative atmosphere

Cons

Normal Career Growth for a Biotech organization

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and please know that if there are any additional details you would like to share with us, you can share them with our team at amgen@careers.pure.cloud.

7. 5.0

Amgen

May 6, 2021 - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

nothing negative about the company

8. 4.0

great people

May 5, 2021 - Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

very knowledgeable and personable team members

Cons

constant cost cutting measures impacts morale

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review. If there are any additional details you would like to share with us, please connect with our team via amgen@careers.pure.cloud. Thank you for your feedback.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Has so much potential to be a great place

Jan 24, 2021 - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The colleagues are generally smart, highly motivated and mission-driven Good benefits Solid balance sheet Highly respected in the industry-lots to learn Used to have lots of family friendly activities, but not sure what will happen to them after COVID Management focused on the company stock price and market performance

Cons

-Work-life balance is non-existent. I am literally working all.the.time. Vacations are rarely taken. I have noticed that if my manager does not see me logged on and green on a weekend, the following week I get dumped a bunch of projects since apparently I have “capacity”. We have winter and summer shut downs but I have always worked through them so they are not that helpful -There is a LOT of micromanaging - this may also be manager/department specific though. But from my experience micromanaging was very commonplace -Decision-making is slow and inefficient. This goes back to the several layers of micromanagement. -Career progression is tricky. Hard to know how you can really advance to the next level -I have had some bad, mean managers. It is disappointing that they think they can treat others in a derogatory manner and the company is allowing such an environment to prevail

3 people found this review helpful

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It is our sincere goal to provide continuous growth opportunities in an exciting, cutting-edge atmosphere, and reviews are instrumental in our ability to implement change. We encourage you to share additional details about your experience with us at amgen@careers.pure.cloud. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

10. 4.0

Good place

May 2, 2021 - Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Large company and great retirement match

Cons

Non competitive pay compared to other industry leaders

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,317 Reviews