Amgen Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway

1. "QA Specialist"

Pros

Reasonable salary and benefits in par with industry

Cons

Very lean staffing, poor leadership, high turnover

Advice to Management

Respect your staff, improve culture

"Amgen IT not the best"

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Share price and comps are the pros

Cons

Bad culture and inexperienced IT leaders

Advice to Management

IT should be treated as a partner not overhead

"Horrible company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Amgen (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology, the facility was well maintained, the introductory training was very thorough, there were a lot of "team building" events with good food and even beer, although it was awkward to attend those surrounded by people who were so anti-team mentality.

Cons

Long hours, thankless management, culture of disrespect. I relocated across the country to take a job there, and ended up resigning after one year. It was such an awkward place to work. It seemed that everyone was out to make each other look bad, not a team atmosphere at all. I've never had a problem getting along with coworkers, but there, every attempt to make conversation was met with hostility. I was then transferred to an even worse department after about 4 months. The supervisor would do things like try to write people up for taking a ten minute break to go eat a granola bar. This was a 12 hour shift with only one 30 minute break.

Advice to Management

It was almost a decade ago when I worked there, and I'm sure they've gotten a lot of comments since then.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large, Structured, fancy, clean, diverse

Cons

Negative, Political, not skill based hiring, drama

Advice to Management

skill-based hiring, get rid of stale employees, get feedback on worthless toxic managers

"Discovery research, enought talents but spreading too thin"

I have been working at Amgen (More than 10 years)

Pros

We find enough talents in every aspect of R&D activities. Because of the resourcefulness and a huge body of talents, individual scientists can focus on his/her specialty and can build scientific career.

Cons

If you are a scientist and if you choose to be on the scientific/technical track, your prospect for promotion and pay increase will significantly diminished compared to your PhD peers who chose not to work in the lab and start managing people and spending the with back to back meetings.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good physical plant. Choice of on site cafeterias, decent benefit package. The worker bee staff there are great and helpful.

Cons

No room for advancement. After 3 months it became clear that since I wasn't part of the "millionaires club" I would be keeping the same job title. Also, anyone over 45 be aware that the mid management their is focused on getting cheaper labor with less experience.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on the methods which people are hired and what they are promised during the interviews. I went to work at Amgen for the person who interviewed me and ended up having a management change. That manager made it clear that he could get "younger, more open minded, and cheaper" project managers from the "Indian pool". Within weeks, he had a staff over turn of 100% and HR did nothing about it.

8. "Incompetent managers"

Pros

Benefits and thats about it

Cons

Employee contribution not valued, management does not care root cause of high turnover

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers

"Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal/Senior Clinical Contracts and Budgets Analyst in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Amgen (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits ad work life balance

Cons

inconsistent management's ethical principles and values throughout the company

"Do your job and perform even though Amgen will tell you nothing, and expect everything...."

Former Contractor - Writer in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Contractor - Writer in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The idealism that one feels when starting a new job even as a contractor is significant at Amgen because of the possibility that molecules being manufactured and brought to market here could change the face of medicine for patients around the world, and could potentially cure diseases like cancer and heart disease. Of course this is what I thought... The reality of working here is completely different...

Cons

Having been brought in as a contract writer, I was shocked to find that what most writers do on a daily basis is absolutely forbidden here. You aren't allowed to talk with anyone from the past, the present or even plan for the future, and are discouraged from communicating with anyone. This includes management who doesn't want to take the time to even engage a contractor and provide resources for what they have been hired to do. The very people assigning you the story dictate how to write it and while they want productive, engaging story contributions, they do everything in their power to hinder one's ability to tell a good story- some of which could benefit Amgen and help the future of biotechnology. It's completely counterproductive. While it is understood in this industry to be careful with the communication of information, it is to such an extreme that in the end, nothing gets communicated in a meaningful way and you are criticized for writing too much, then criticized for not writing enough or not being productive enough. It's very cutthroat. One isn't allowed to showcase skills or any creativity and contractors are treated like fifth graders despite many years of professional experience. Completing what should be straightforward easy tasks are made to be impossible and take twice as long because contractors get nothing more than 10 year old outdated computers (which cause more security breaches than if proper equipment were issued in the first place) and little to NO guidance or communication. Everyone in management seems to be out for themselves and the entire company's actions are based out of fear... Which I'm pretty sure is not what the company originally aimed to do which was to be fearless pioneers of medicine and biological science.
    One can sign a contract with Amgen for a year and without any notice or warning, be terminated after a few months without ANY communication whatsoever. In fact, terminations happen without the contractor's knowledge on a Friday but the recruiting agency is instructed NOT to tell the contractor until Sunday night- after we are prepared to come to work the next day. Who does that????

Advice to Management

Everything is done out of fear. But at least show some common decency, transparency and professionalism when dealing with your contractors, who make up the majority of your workforce, (so you don't have to burden the responsibility of benefits, or, God forbid, paid holidays). Since we are told nothing, it is very hard to do our jobs effectively. At least TALK to your people about what you expect and if there is wrongdoing, TELL THEM before terminating them without their knowledge. It's demeaning and unfair for a contractor to have to guess what he or she may have done wrong. Also, have some respect for anything other than your bottom lines. Your people who DO THE WORK are the future of Amgen. If you continue to demean and treat them the way you do, there will be no future, and no one will want to work for you. I know I don't....

"A sinking ship"

I worked at Amgen full-time

Pros

Has a large, university-like campus with nice cafeterias-that's all I have.

Cons

Upper management lacks diversity. Rarely promotes opportunities for women and minorities.If they discriminate you can't sue due to the arbitration agreement you must sign before working there.

Showing 74 of 1,369 reviews