Amgen Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway

Cons

1. "Glass ceiling for men"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

golden handcuffs of benefits that keep staff retention rates artificially inflated. nice campus, a gym, dry cleaning on site, southern California location with pleasant weather.

Cons

Amgengsc is barreling toward an all-women team! Seems like only women are considered for career development. I’m just waiting for that first gender discrimination lawsuit against Amgen brought on by a MAN; spotlight of the world on Amgen leadership. Glass ceiling for men.

Advice to Management

I'm as much for equal opportunity as the next citizen, would be nice if it were truly equal.

"Overall assessment"

Current Employee - Manager Regulatory Affairs in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Regulatory Affairs in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time

Pros

Campus is amazing; 401k; good people who work hard

Cons

A crazy political game. Expectations are set beyond what is achievable for function. To move forward you need to show face in more than your day to day work load. Take on extra initiatives so that you become "visible" to all in the organization. Work isn't measured on your performance but rather how others perceive you.
    Company gives a message of empowerment and providing a culture of values however lacks to deliver on their word. Sr. Mgmt lies telling employees they are at the top of their pay grade when peers in same positions are making more and/or less. We all do talk to one another.

Advice to Management

Focus on people who do their job well. We don't need to be involved in socializing in order to prove our worth. Set clear expectations for advancement versus just checking off boxes to get to the next level. Be fair!

"Disappointing due to its negative culture"

Current Contractor - Senior Communications Consultant in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Communications Consultant in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the world's largest drug manufacturers.
     Has a budget big enough to provide every employee whatever they need to be successful.

Cons

One of the most negative employee cultures I have ever experienced. And the result of that is that employees are distrustful of each other and do not share information. which cripples the company's ability to accomplish its goals. This is especially true of certain managers and directors within R&D. My recommendation is to avoid. There are better companies of equal size out there.

Advice to Management

You really need to conduct a culture change program. II starts at the top. Your leaders need to instill a sense of teamwork and trust in their own people. Performance reviews should be 360 degrees - employees should be able to weigh in on their managers' performance. I worked on the company's real world data program and after my third day made the decision to move on because my own manager would not share information with me in the false belief that I would attempt to LeapFrog her. I only wanted to be successful but she did not see it that way and chose instead to assume my intentions were negative. You really need to do something about this.

5. "Summer Undergrad IS (Information System) Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good intern activities, like dodger game, surfing, kayaking, hiking, bowling night, etc (only in Thousand Oaks headquarter)
    - Some managers are super nice, talented, and considerate
    - Big title in bio area, especially if you plan to do bio
    - Great 401k plan (not for intern), and SUMMER SHUTDOWN (5 days vacation with pay in summer and winter, eligible for intern!)

Cons

- Pay is okay
    - Company is too big, hierarchy is really obvious, no open-door policy basically, always need to set up meetings (which is not efficient at all)
    - Unfair return offer rate (about 50% for grad intern, and X for undergrad intern, really depends on if there is opening within the department or not)
    - A great place to stay if you plan to find a place and stay till retirement; and young people leave for more opportunities and excitements

6. "Best Days behind them"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

They have Excellent benefits and Well-intentioned people. Do some aspects of the business very well. Great day care for children.

Cons

Like to think they are still a nimble, innovative biotech, but have ballooned into conservative, no-risk-taking, bureaucratic organization. Very political and antiquated in their culture.

Advice to Management

Hire outside people who challenge your status quo and offer fresh thinking.

"Drowning in Red Tape!"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in West Greenwich, RI
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in West Greenwich, RI

I have been working at Amgen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

In house cafeteria has a good selection and the menu changes on a regular basis. The cafeteria staff is courteous.

Cons

Paperwork, lots & lots of paperwork.
    CYA atmosphere/work environment
    Inefficient policies & procedures pertaining to construction & facility management tasks
    Poor cellphone reception (Rhode Island location)
    Open work environment = no area to have a private conversation
    Wasteful spending is rampant

Advice to Management

Consider improving efficiency in construction work activity

"Unqualified Senior Management"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus and great location (if you never plan to get another job), great pay and benefits (but they are being cut every year)

Cons

1) location: if you decide to leave Amgen, you are almost guaranteed to have to relocate for a new job as the TO location is isolated
    2) Layoffs and Amgen's AFP program which is a fancy name for cost cutting and layoffs
    3) Unqualified senior management: one does not rise to a leadership position because they have the right skills, background, education or talent, they are promoted because they play the politics game and "fall in line" Example: I am a licensed attorney who was reporting to someone that had a music degree and absolutely no experience in the subject matter.

Advice to Management

If you really want to streamline and cut costs, put qualified people in senior management roles who will challenge the status quo, hire external, if you keep promoting people with the wrong backgrounds who know nothing but the Amgen way, you will never learn of new ideas. Stop promoting those who fall in line and reward those who bring ideas and advice to the table even if it's not the Amgen way. Nothing hurts morale more than to see someone completely unqualified get promoted to Director or Executive Director roles solely because they can play politics and hide behind your excessive use of PowerPoint slides and create fancy, yet inaccurate, data.

9. "Senior Scientist"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 401k, used to have great science.

Cons

Constant restructuring without a clear plan, too many consultant driven initiatves that create more problems than they solve. Toxic culture, especially Thousand Oaks.

Advice to Management

Clear out the Thousand Oaks "lifers", they only aim to maintain the status quo. Stop hiring Merck/BMS rejects for senior position.

10. "No Chrismas Party"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big Pharma, politics, 10% 401K, 2 weeks shut down

Cons

Sad cafeteria. Poor health insurance plan (2017). And again, no Christmas party this year.

Advice to Management

Show some respect to your staff, improve the sad culture and put some efforts in retaining talents

11. "Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westerville, OH

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products from great science. compensation is above average.

Cons

Culture is top down mentality

Showing 185 of 1,425 reviews