KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.1
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway
1,038 Ratings

What people are saying about Amgen

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Amgen and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Management promote and hire their family and friends

Aug 12, 2021 - Supply Chain Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1) Amgen has few solid drug platforms and company has been cruising off of the revenue generated by those drugs. 2) work-life balance: Most teams work only 4 hours a week which is a pro for those of you looking for stable steady income and don't like to be challenged. Work usually starts at 10AM and most teams are gone by 3:30 PM.

Cons

1) Management promote and hire their family and friends. As you work in the company you hear people who were related to their leadership would get promoted and hired a lot. Management make Bias decisions during hiring and promotions. if you dont have any family members in the leadership you wont go far. 2) high ranked open roles are posted as a protection against potential lawsuits. Even though a manager has a friend or family in mind for a particular job they need to post the role and interview 2-3 individuals before offering that role to a friend.

5 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review, value your feedback, and we take these concerns very seriously. We would like to understand more about your concerns so that we can thoroughly investigate and address them. Please contact Amgen’s Business Conduct Hotline at 1-888-376-5574 or https://amgenbch.tnwreports.com to report your concerns. You may remain anonymous if you wish.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, going in a wrong direction

Aug 9, 2021 - Senior Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Direct impact on patient health and safety, opportunities to learn.

Cons

1) recent focus on hiring recent graduate has led to exodus of experienced people who had a hard time battling the impossible to earn promotion. 2) extreme nepotism. There are VPs who go door to door to low level managers, pressuring them to hire their favorites. 3) no plan for talent retention, leading to loss of experienced and skilled worker. It is very likely than Amgen soon faces a major safety disaster due to lack of experienced staff.

10 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our team. Please know, if there are any additional details you would like to share about your experience, please reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud. Again, thank you for your review.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Tremendous Company

Sep 5, 2021 - Senior Scientist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well oiled machine. Great benefits and numerous ways to get into different career paths.

Cons

My particular department has many layers of management. Micro managing is over the top. Also, bad apples stick around longer than desired.

1 person found this review helpful

Amgen Response

Thank you for your feedback. If there's anything else you'd like to share with our team, please do not hesitate to reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more. Again, thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company with excellent focus on mission

Sep 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It has great culture and focus on the mission of serving patients

Cons

Too many good people leaving, risk of losing great culture

Amgen Response

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your feedback is appreciated as we continue to foster an environment where our staff members around the world can thrive personally and professionally. Please know, you can always reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more about your experience. Again, thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company, good culture, good benefits; great learning

Mar 28, 2021 - Principal Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amgen is real biotech, not one of the many pharmaceutical companies that evolved into biotech. So you have a lot to learn and contribute. You can easily pursue your career goals at Amgen and work at any organization you’re interested in provided you excel in your current role and show an interest to learn. My manager was a terrific person, probably the best I’ve had in my career.. and many Amgen managers are like that. The culture is good, open and everyone will work with you. When I say “collaboration”, I don’t just say it as one of the words that people throw around: Amgen employees really share information and collaborate well. I felt like I was at a close knit company despite being a large organization. I ended up leaving because of relocation/personal reasons but this is the organization I’d rate as ideal. Amgen is also relatively flat compared to other major biotech/pharma companies. Not at all top heavy as I imagined when I first joined. Enjoy your time at Amgen, get to learn the people and get to grow. Lastly, the benefits are very good and much better than other companies. Many employees complain about the yearly increase being 1-2%, but remember, almost everyone gets LTIs here that adds up, while other companies don’t always offer LTIs.

Cons

I honestly can’t think of cons. The only advice I’d give is to reduce the occurrence of meetings and maybe do things through email when you can. This is not unusual and happens in every company.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is our sincere goal to create an atmosphere where staff members feel supported. Please know that we are always available at amgen@careers.pure.cloud for you to share more about your experience.

6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Run from here if you aren’t white

Sep 16, 2021 - Senior Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

None. This is a modern day cotton plantation

Cons

No career growth if you don’t align yourself with cliques run by white racist managers. Any attempt to bring positive changes will be punished. A lot of incompetent people are being promoted. Talented black, asian and latinos are given menial jobs. You can work 7 days a week and managers give you bad ratings if you aren’t white.

Amgen Response

We appreciate your feedback and take your concerns very seriously. At Amgen, it is our ambition for all of our teams to embrace our values and our culture of diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and we believe in the power of having diverse teams across the organization. We are, however, deeply concerned to hear about your experience. We would like to understand more about your concerns so that we can thoroughly investigate and address them. Please contact Amgen’s Business Conduct Hotline at 1-888-376-5574 or https://amgenbch.tnwreports.com to report your concerns. You may remain anonymous if you wish.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for.

Sep 1, 2021 - Manufacturing in Woburn, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexability of remote and inperson, benefits can not be match from anywhere else in biotech that I have seen. Great family like values and good work life balance.

Cons

Closing the site for good.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Mature company that stands behind company values

Aug 30, 2021 - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

employees feel valued and are motivated, exciting and collaborative workplace at all levels

Cons

leadership overburdened with constantly rebuilding infrastructure and associated activities

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company

Sep 14, 2021 - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you find the right manager to have as a mentor, you'll be able to do well and navigate the political waters.

Cons

Some people are treated as just a number rather than a person

1 person found this review helpful

Amgen Response

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is our goal to create an atmosphere where our staff members feel supported, and reviews are instrumental in our ability to implement change. Please know that our team can be reached at amgen@careers.pure.cloud if you would like to share more about your experience. If you would like to remain anonymous, please contact Amgen’s Business Conduct Hotline at 1-888-376-5574 or https://amgenbch.tnwreports.com to report your concerns. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not what it used to be

Aug 31, 2021 - Regulatory Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and 401k, diverse environment

Cons

Company would rather let experienced employees go than promote/increase pay (especially living in California). Because of this no one knows what they are doing because everyone is new with no experience. It has been nearly impossible to meet all these moving deadlines.

3 people found this review helpful