Amgen Reviews in Thousand Oaks, CA | Glassdoor

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance is not good (in 61 reviews)

• slow decision making; lack of nimbleness; complacency with some of the staff; highly political; can maintain poor leadership at regional level (in 59 reviews)

"Scientist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't any. I thought I would be making a difference. Instead you work with a very mediocre environment

Cons

Lack of talent, insight, concern for good work, lack of concern about the FDA.

Advice to Management

Resign

"Globalist Social Experiment"

Former Contractor - Financial Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Contractor - Financial Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company figured out how to thrive while selling life-saving drugs at exorbitant prices that the average patient can't afford unless they finance it through the insurance racket and a $20 trillion debt laden America.

Cons

- This company is following the "Next-Gen" trend of getting rid of their own desks for workers and forcing them to work in closets or public areas where they are forced to listen to grown ups flirting and talk about whatever putrid ideas surface onto their brains.
    - The entire IT staff is from India so you'll be competing with guys that will work for next to nothing to get a green card.
    - IS department is so disorganized that you will go weeks after getting hired without getting badges that work, laptops, and the services you need to do your job.
    - Contract workers have to park in a distant parking lot because they are made to be reminded daily that they are not part of the company.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the gravy train while it lasts because the health insurance industry will implode.

3. "Poor treatment Contingent Workers"

Former Contractor - Quality Control Analyst (Temporary) in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Contractor - Quality Control Analyst (Temporary) in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus with plenty of food options onsite.

Cons

Contracting results in huge pay discrepancy between people in same role, despite education and experience level. They attempted to use me in every way possible, except for in the capacity for which I was hired. I was there for 3 months before receiving any on the job training. Overall waste of my time and skills.

Advice to Management

Pay all contractors in the same role based on experience and education level, not flat rate per the position. You leverage skills, not people. We aren't slaves.

"Sr Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People (depends on the business unit)

Cons

Very political, long hours, not collaborative, employees change jobs or are fired often (see long hours), considerable time spent documenting interactions to defend against potential future consequences (definitely ask about the calibration meeting year end review process to get a good idea of how this company treats/values people)

Advice to Management

Amgen "cultures and values" are window dressing. Low morale for the ~80% who are not "exceeding expectations." There are EDs, GMs and VPs that will say/do whatever it takes to keep their stock options coming...trickle down impact is ruthless.

5. "Evil Empire"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    First line managers tend to be pretty good and helpful

Cons

Some people are overworked and others skate
    Directors and above are almost universally evil and self-serving
    Highly political environment
    Limited upward mobility

Advice to Management

Have a bit of introspection and get rid of the bad middle management layer

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large, Structured, fancy, clean, diverse

Cons

Negative, Political, not skill based hiring, drama

Advice to Management

skill-based hiring, get rid of stale employees, get feedback on worthless toxic managers

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good physical plant. Choice of on site cafeterias, decent benefit package. The worker bee staff there are great and helpful.

Cons

No room for advancement. After 3 months it became clear that since I wasn't part of the "millionaires club" I would be keeping the same job title. Also, anyone over 45 be aware that the mid management their is focused on getting cheaper labor with less experience.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on the methods which people are hired and what they are promised during the interviews. I went to work at Amgen for the person who interviewed me and ended up having a management change. That manager made it clear that he could get "younger, more open minded, and cheaper" project managers from the "Indian pool". Within weeks, he had a staff over turn of 100% and HR did nothing about it.

"Do your job and perform even though Amgen will tell you nothing, and expect everything...."

Former Contractor - Writer in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Contractor - Writer in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The idealism that one feels when starting a new job even as a contractor is significant at Amgen because of the possibility that molecules being manufactured and brought to market here could change the face of medicine for patients around the world, and could potentially cure diseases like cancer and heart disease. Of course this is what I thought... The reality of working here is completely different...

Cons

Having been brought in as a contract writer, I was shocked to find that what most writers do on a daily basis is absolutely forbidden here. You aren't allowed to talk with anyone from the past, the present or even plan for the future, and are discouraged from communicating with anyone. This includes management who doesn't want to take the time to even engage a contractor and provide resources for what they have been hired to do. The very people assigning you the story dictate how to write it and while they want productive, engaging story contributions, they do everything in their power to hinder one's ability to tell a good story- some of which could benefit Amgen and help the future of biotechnology. It's completely counterproductive. While it is understood in this industry to be careful with the communication of information, it is to such an extreme that in the end, nothing gets communicated in a meaningful way and you are criticized for writing too much, then criticized for not writing enough or not being productive enough. It's very cutthroat. One isn't allowed to showcase skills or any creativity and contractors are treated like fifth graders despite many years of professional experience. Completing what should be straightforward easy tasks are made to be impossible and take twice as long because contractors get nothing more than 10 year old outdated computers (which cause more security breaches than if proper equipment were issued in the first place) and little to NO guidance or communication. Everyone in management seems to be out for themselves and the entire company's actions are based out of fear... Which I'm pretty sure is not what the company originally aimed to do which was to be fearless pioneers of medicine and biological science.
    One can sign a contract with Amgen for a year and without any notice or warning, be terminated after a few months without ANY communication whatsoever. In fact, terminations happen without the contractor's knowledge on a Friday but the recruiting agency is instructed NOT to tell the contractor until Sunday night- after we are prepared to come to work the next day. Who does that????

Advice to Management

Everything is done out of fear. But at least show some common decency, transparency and professionalism when dealing with your contractors, who make up the majority of your workforce, (so you don't have to burden the responsibility of benefits, or, God forbid, paid holidays). Since we are told nothing, it is very hard to do our jobs effectively. At least TALK to your people about what you expect and if there is wrongdoing, TELL THEM before terminating them without their knowledge. It's demeaning and unfair for a contractor to have to guess what he or she may have done wrong. Also, have some respect for anything other than your bottom lines. Your people who DO THE WORK are the future of Amgen. If you continue to demean and treat them the way you do, there will be no future, and no one will want to work for you. I know I don't....

"Toxic atmosphere"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

beautiful location, great vacation policy, stock options, 401k match is high. Beautiful campus. Onsite gym and Starbucks cafe, several cafeterias, although expensive

Cons

Poisonous culture of making people feel like they're lucky to have a job and should accept bad treatment. No promotion opportunities.

Advice to Management

I won't waste my time because I know they don't care

"POS company run by banksters and entitled spoiled brats"

Former Employee - Business Partner in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Business Partner in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Piece of crap company taken over by banksters and entitled brats.

Cons

Scumbags run the company. Profits first, patients last.

Advice to Management

You cannot have a bankster running a life sciences company.

Showing 37 of 1,523 reviews