Amgen Reviews in Thousand Oaks, CA | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Thousand Oaks, CA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance is not good (in 61 reviews)

• slow decision making; lack of nimbleness; complacency with some of the staff; highly political; can maintain poor leadership at regional level (in 59 reviews)

"Glass ceiling for men"

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

golden handcuffs of benefits that keep staff retention rates artificially inflated. nice campus, a gym, dry cleaning on site, southern California location with pleasant weather.

Cons

Amgengsc is barreling toward an all-women team! Seems like only women are considered for career development. I’m just waiting for that first gender discrimination lawsuit against Amgen brought on by a MAN; spotlight of the world on Amgen leadership. Glass ceiling for men.

Advice to Management

I'm as much for equal opportunity as the next citizen, would be nice if it were truly equal.

"Overall assessment"

Current Employee - Manager Regulatory Affairs in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Regulatory Affairs in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time

Pros

Campus is amazing; 401k; good people who work hard

Cons

A crazy political game. Expectations are set beyond what is achievable for function. To move forward you need to show face in more than your day to day work load. Take on extra initiatives so that you become "visible" to all in the organization. Work isn't measured on your performance but rather how others perceive you.
    Company gives a message of empowerment and providing a culture of values however lacks to deliver on their word. Sr. Mgmt lies telling employees they are at the top of their pay grade when peers in same positions are making more and/or less. We all do talk to one another.

Advice to Management

Focus on people who do their job well. We don't need to be involved in socializing in order to prove our worth. Set clear expectations for advancement versus just checking off boxes to get to the next level. Be fair!

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, excellent science, great location. Lots of support from management.

Cons

The company reorganizes departments and staff semi-regularly and that means they sometimes ask people to move to different Amgen sites or they lay them off.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great being around like minded people

Cons

a lot of arrogant people

Advice to Management

calm down, we are still one of the top biotechs in the world

"Disappointing due to its negative culture"

Current Contractor - Senior Communications Consultant in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Communications Consultant in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the world's largest drug manufacturers.
     Has a budget big enough to provide every employee whatever they need to be successful.

Cons

One of the most negative employee cultures I have ever experienced. And the result of that is that employees are distrustful of each other and do not share information. which cripples the company's ability to accomplish its goals. This is especially true of certain managers and directors within R&D. My recommendation is to avoid. There are better companies of equal size out there.

Advice to Management

You really need to conduct a culture change program. II starts at the top. Your leaders need to instill a sense of teamwork and trust in their own people. Performance reviews should be 360 degrees - employees should be able to weigh in on their managers' performance. I worked on the company's real world data program and after my third day made the decision to move on because my own manager would not share information with me in the false belief that I would attempt to LeapFrog her. I only wanted to be successful but she did not see it that way and chose instead to assume my intentions were negative. You really need to do something about this.

"Quality people, quality products, ethical, but not great at keeping great people"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative science and very high quality people. Company focuses on ethical business, compliance with all regulations - external and internal.

Cons

Very poor at succession planning at lower leverls (Manager/Diretor), and retaining top talent. Rarely promote from within, and does a poor job of training and developing. Work-life usually out of balance - fewer people to do more and more.

Advice to Management

Work on keeping top talent by talking career planning and progression. Inform Legal and Regulatory that they should support innovation, and not simply abide by their own strict and hyper-conservative interpretations of regulations..

7. "Poor treatment Contingent Workers"

Former Contractor - Quality Control Analyst (Temporary) in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Contractor - Quality Control Analyst (Temporary) in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus with plenty of food options onsite.

Cons

Contracting results in huge pay discrepancy between people in same role, despite education and experience level. They attempted to use me in every way possible, except for in the capacity for which I was hired. I was there for 3 months before receiving any on the job training. Overall waste of my time and skills.

Advice to Management

Pay all contractors in the same role based on experience and education level, not flat rate per the position. You leverage skills, not people. We aren't slaves.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair pay, great benefits even though they are not as good as what they once were. 401K is outstanding. Employee Stock purchase plan is good. Great culture to work within on the sales/marketing side.

Cons

Sales is still concerned with Reach and Frequency vs quality of the call. Mgmt is employing the 90's sales model, "more reps per territory is better". This limits access in larger customer orgs = fewer sales opportunities

9. "A great company, but not without it's challenges (like anywhere)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission, smart people, great compensation and benefits, ability to move around and learn new things, effort to recognize and promote talent

Cons

Constant restructuring causes people to be fearful for their jobs / territorial; many decisions are bogged down in political bureaucracy; turnover has caused significant loss of knowledge around business processes; some "lifers" actively repress change - without repercussion

Advice to Management

Do not let "lifers" stagnate in roles for 5+ years; it becomes a risk to knowledge transfer and ability to improve. If there is a long-term plan to exit a facility, let people know and stop the gossip.

10. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting and important work, diverse leadership, plentiful opportunities for advancement, and competitive salaries and benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent communication levels, can get pigeonholed if you're not careful.

Showing 498 of 1,495 reviews