KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Amgen

Engaged Employer

Amgen

Add a Review

Amgen Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 27, 2021

Found 404 of over 3,255 reviews

4.1
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway
1,317 Ratings
Pros
  • "Work Life Balance is fairly good(in 276 reviews)

• "great benefits for the company's employees(in 257 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance not in priorities of the company depends on the area of work(in 129 reviews)

• "Decision making often slower than it needs to be(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Amgen

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Amgen and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

Oct 1, 2021 - Scientist in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, support of career development

Cons

No major cons, this must be 5 words

Amgen Response

Thank you for your feedback. If there's anything else you'd like to share with our team, please do not hesitate to reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more. Again, thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place I’ve worked at; recent concerns

Aug 27, 2021 - Manufacturing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at companies that are 2, 3, and 4 star on Glassdoor and I can tell you those ratings are very accurate. Amgen has been the best place so far. Supportive, challenging, full of opportunities and knowledgeable and collaborative coworkers. Very great for work life balance if you set your limits well and make it clear. I feel supported and have clear development opportunities.

Cons

M y concern is that with a combination of attrition not being backfilled, opening of new plants , and the hot pharma industry, we are losing experience and talent and and staff are overloaded and stretched. Our project load hasn’t decreased and less experienced staff are supporting us and it takes time and additional work to develop their skills. My other concern is our practice of hiring contingent or contract workers, which doesn’t attract as diverse of a hiring pool. Thousand Oaks is not too diverse and who will move here for a contingent job?

Amgen Response

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your feedback is appreciated as we continue to foster an environment where our staff members around the world can thrive personally and professionally. Please know, you can always reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more about your experience. Again, thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

3. 4.0

Review from employee at Amgen

Nov 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amgen is a great place to safely hone your skills alongside supportive management that welcomes stretch projects. Work-life balance is better than most

Cons

Compensation is sub-par and they over rely on the narrative that their 'wholistic compensations package' is competitive, but the truth is this is not the place to make bucks, it's the place to get big corporate experience and grow your skills

Amgen Response

Thank you for your review. Feedback is instrumental to our ability to implement change and continue providing a culture that allows staff members to thrive personally and professionally. Please know, you can always reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more about your experience. Again, thank you for your feedback.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Management promote and hire their family and friends

Aug 12, 2021 - Supply Chain Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) Amgen has few solid drug platforms and company has been cruising off of the revenue generated by those drugs. 2) work-life balance: Most teams work only 4 hours a week which is a pro for those of you looking for stable steady income and don't like to be challenged. Work usually starts at 10AM and most teams are gone by 3:30 PM.

Cons

1) Management promote and hire their family and friends. As you work in the company you hear people who were related to their leadership would get promoted and hired a lot. Management make Bias decisions during hiring and promotions. if you dont have any family members in the leadership you wont go far. 2) high ranked open roles are posted as a protection against potential lawsuits. Even though a manager has a friend or family in mind for a particular job they need to post the role and interview 2-3 individuals before offering that role to a friend.

8 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review, value your feedback, and we take these concerns very seriously. We would like to understand more about your concerns so that we can thoroughly investigate and address them. Please contact Amgen’s Business Conduct Hotline at 1-888-376-5574 or https://amgenbch.tnwreports.com to report your concerns. You may remain anonymous if you wish.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Friendly and supportive culture, bright future!

Sep 6, 2021 - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues are very friendly and supportive, work/life balance is good, great benefits (401K 10% matching, 2 weeks of shutdown a year in addition to the usual annual leaves)

Cons

Salary is a bit on the low side for the industry, lots of meetings

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company but also big pharma with lots of admin

Nov 1, 2021 - Executive Specialty Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with strong benefits. Allows for flexible work-from-home and good work-life balance. Lots of promotional opportunities and different jobs within the organization.

Cons

Lots of small tasks to do regularly that are outside of the sales role. Lots of documentation including self and peer evaluations which gets cumbersome and takes a lot of admin time.

7. 5.0

Fantastic company

Sep 7, 2021 - Finance Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture where everyone works toward a common goal of helping patients. My colleagues are bright and always willing to share advice and help out. The tone at the top is positive and inclusive. Work-life balance is great, on average.

Cons

Sometimes I hear more about DI&B (diversity, inclusion, and belonging) than I hear about the actual stuff we do as a company. DI&B is important, but sometimes over emphasized.

8. 4.0

Good place to work

Nov 27, 2021 - Data Scientist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance People Good work Open for new ideas

Cons

Gets repetitive Good work gets lost over org changes

9. 5.0

A great place to work

Sep 27, 2021 - Senior Scientist in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of opportunities, fantastic coworkers

Cons

isolated from other biopharma, work-life balance can be a struggle at times

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Has so much potential to be a great place

Jan 24, 2021 - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The colleagues are generally smart, highly motivated and mission-driven Good benefits Solid balance sheet Highly respected in the industry-lots to learn Used to have lots of family friendly activities, but not sure what will happen to them after COVID Management focused on the company stock price and market performance

Cons

-Work-life balance is non-existent. I am literally working all.the.time. Vacations are rarely taken. I have noticed that if my manager does not see me logged on and green on a weekend, the following week I get dumped a bunch of projects since apparently I have “capacity”. We have winter and summer shut downs but I have always worked through them so they are not that helpful -There is a LOT of micromanaging - this may also be manager/department specific though. But from my experience micromanaging was very commonplace -Decision-making is slow and inefficient. This goes back to the several layers of micromanagement. -Career progression is tricky. Hard to know how you can really advance to the next level -I have had some bad, mean managers. It is disappointing that they think they can treat others in a derogatory manner and the company is allowing such an environment to prevail

6 people found this review helpful

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It is our sincere goal to provide continuous growth opportunities in an exciting, cutting-edge atmosphere, and reviews are instrumental in our ability to implement change. We encourage you to share additional details about your experience with us at amgen@careers.pure.cloud. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 404 Reviews