Amherst College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Biddy Martin

Pros
  • Flexible hours, and great Primary investigators who care immensely about the research and about your development throughout the research experience (in 3 reviews)

• The facilities are also top-notch (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Aged top tier faculty who have accumulated power due to strong (in 6 reviews)

1. "Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Amherst College (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, and great Primary investigators who care immensely about the research and about your development throughout the research experience. The staff associated with the research, at least in the Biology and Neuroscience departments, are super helpful and always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

it is easy to get stuck in lab for long hours, or put in too much work for yourself.

2. "Visiting Assistant Professor"

Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Amherst, MA

I worked at Amherst College (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Incredible students. Lovely experience.

Cons

The college is extremely hierarchical. Aged top tier faculty who have accumulated power due to strong faculty governance, and who view their piece of the institution as personal fiefdoms.

3. "Computer Science Tutor"

Former Employee - Computer Science Tutor in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Computer Science Tutor in Amherst, MA

Pros

-You get to set your own hours so it's very manageable to keep on top of other work

-Talking to the Comptrollers office about pay issues is really easy here. Never had a problem.

Cons

-You'll hear very little from the CS Department outside of who you're assigned to.

-While the pay per hour is okay, you'll really need to consider other jobs on top of this if you really want more salary.

5. "second cook catering"

Former Employee - Chef in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Chef in Springfield, MA

I worked at Amherst College (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work.worked there 12 years.a little clicky but where is it not clicky.pay top notch,benefits as well,highly recommend working for executive chef Jeremy Roush outstanding in his field.Michelle Phillips an outstanding chef and employee as is tom lucas and craig hudson

Cons

no negative aspects in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep up the outstanding work!!

"Quality of Institution Depends on Department and Supervisors"

Former Employee - Advancement Employee in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Advancement Employee in Amherst, MA

I worked at Amherst College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work/life balance and benefits are great. The area and campus is beautiful. Really like the President and what she's working towards.

Cons

I was at Amherst for several years and experienced very different attitudes from different departments. Some departments were great to be in and those employees enjoyed pay increases as well as promotions. Other departments struggled and when turnover was high under a specific manager, the solution was instead to promote that specific, troublesome manager. While everyone commonly said that I deserved more (including my supervisor) a promotion never came even though I was promised one month after month. When I gave my notice (of close to a month), I was told to stay for two months more if I "really wanted to leave on a good note."

My advice for you, negotiate before accepting an offer, as that may be the last time you'll be able to without a promotion (biggest increases for "outstanding" performance on a review is something like 3%).

When I expressed my frustrations during my exit interview, the HR person just said, "yeah, that's Amherst." NOT a good sign.

Advice to Management

Better management of supervisors and their skills. Having only top down evaluation costs the College money and time by having to frequently replace those below a bad supervisor. Reward those who show promise and excitement for Amherst.

7. "Satisfactory Student Jobs"

Current Employee - Peer Tutor and Grader for Microeconomics in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor and Grader for Microeconomics in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Amherst College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a grader and a tutor for economics department here. Very flexible hours, a lot of guidance, and very decent salary. I have also worked as Facilities during the summer, and also in the alumni programs. It's a very good opportunity for me to talk to the Alums and hear their stories.

Cons

Might be tough to balance academic load and doing these jobs, and also balancing all other aspects as a student. But having said that, the flexibility given helps a lot. Sometimes it may be daunting to talk to an Alum, but all you need is some practice and courage! Academic departments are sometimes not too supportive of our efforts to seek out jobs in the real world.

Advice to Management

Probably more guidance would help. The College is trying their best to connect students to alums, but I feel more opportunities to connect and talk to them wouldn't hurt. The academic departments also could have been more supportive of these attempts.

8. "An amazing institution of higher education dedicated to creating a generation of leaders in every field."

Former Employee - Officer of Public Relations in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Officer of Public Relations in Amherst, MA

I worked at Amherst College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment. Professors, Faculty and staff that are supportive of the learning environment.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like a bubble.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the opportunity to people from around the world who don't have the access to this education based on means!

9. "Wonderful place to work in"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Amherst College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice city, nice people. learn a lot by talking with every one here.

Cons

payment is a little bit low. far from big city. inconvenient without a car

10. "Absolutely fantastic work environment"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Amherst, MA

I worked at Amherst College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic academic staff, very inspiring atmosphere, great access to research resources, well organized departments and an overall family-like culture

Cons

The workload can be very demanding and requires excellent organizational skills. Especially during the end of the academic year things get a little bit hectic.

11. "Part time worker at Amherst College"

Former Employee - Food Service Assistant in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Food Service Assistant in Amherst, MA

I worked at Amherst College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Friendly staff
    Easy to get used to

Cons

Usually busy
    Not much training