Amica Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

Amica Mutual President, CEO and Director Robert A. DiMuccio
Robert A. DiMuccio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Also work life balance is a joke" (in 15 reviews)

• "Typical call center environment: heavy emphasis on your stats/phone time, which is averaged out by month" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Student Intern
    Former Employee - Senior Student Intern

I worked at Amica Mutual (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people in my department and throughout the company were incredible. Everyone was friendly and truly looking for you to succeed. There was always someone to go to with a question or for advice.
    -Never felt like "just an intern"
    -Pay as an intern was great
    -Worked on a variety of different projects and gained valuable training and experience
    -Many job shadowing and networking opportunities throughout internship
    -If you do well, you have an opportunity to interview for a full-time position with the company

Cons

None that I can think of!

"Great Company to Start an Insurance Career"

Current Employee - Claims Supervisor
    Current Employee - Claims Supervisor

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training program and a great company culture.

Cons

All the senior positions are in Rhode Island. You will have to relocate often in order to advance and often w/o any input. If you decide you are not interested in the opportunity than it is difficult to get another offer. The company is very reactionary in the industry.

Feb 14, 2019 – Amica Insurance

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you are pleased with our training programs and company culture. In regards to your comments about advancement, while some of our management... More

""Not a good fit""

Former Employee - Associate Account Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Account Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good training, they pay for your licenses, a lot of days off

Cons

If a manager doesn't like you, they will find every way to make your job hard. You will have a bullseye on your back. Don't be a diverse looking person. Don't be outgoing. Be a robot. Just fall in line and take a number. May be for some people but not for all. Do it fast and don't make mistakes.

Advice to Management

Although you only write conservative policies, of those with good credit, no claims, you should expand your horizons when you hire people, and know that it's no longer the early 1900s. Quit with the favoritism!

Feb 8, 2019 – Amica Insurance

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear your concerns and would like to better understand them. Diversity and inclusion are an inherent part of our company, and we would appreciate the... More

"Good benefits, mostly nice coworkers, hectic and stressful job"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Frisco, TX

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Most managers (especially those who've been there a while) are very nice, responsive, and supportive. They don't have the power to change corporate policies, so don't expect them to excuse your tardiness/absence, etc. But if you have a problem they'll do their best to fix it. And if you don't have a good manager, you can usually get moved to someone else's team.

-Overall, very nice coworkers. Most people are friendly, welcoming, and will do their best to answer your questions and have your back with customers.

-Larger than normal cubicles/work areas, sit and stand desks, all the office supplies you need are provided at no cost.

-Good health insurance, gym memberships reimbursed up to 80%, grievance time, pension offered after 5 years vesting service, bonuses for referring new employees.

-Lots to learn, especially if you're new to the industry, but the training and resources given will be more than adequate. There's always someone to ask if you have a question.

Cons

-Typical call center environment: heavy emphasis on your stats/phone time, which is averaged out by month. Certain activities, like direct extension calls/voicemails/emails, don't count towards your totals. If you're a nice person who customers tend to get "attached" to, you will find yourself doing a lot of extra work you don't get credit for.

-It's difficult to get fired. Even when someone is so verbally abusive that half the office refuses to work with this person.

-If it's 5 o'clock and you're on the phone, you have to finish the call. Even if you're there two hours late or more. You get paid overtime, which is nice, but it's hard to plan appointments, etc when you never know if you'll get out on time.

-If you're one minute late, you're in trouble. Not very understanding of illness, traffic, etc.

-You will frequently find yourself doing other people's work and taking the heat for their mistakes. This is partially because of the emphasis on taking incoming calls. People delay answering emails, voicemails, etc because they haven't gotten their calls in for the day which leads to annoyed customers, higher number of incoming calls, and less efficient handling.

Advice to Management

-Find a way to give credit for emails answered and voicemails handled. Your best reps develop loyal customers who only want to work with them. Especially after years of service, this list of customers can be lengthy. Yet reps get no credit for continuing these relationships because their voicemails and emails aren't incoming calls from the general loop.

-You know you have an abusive manager. Office morale would go up considerably if people didn't tense up wondering who she's going to go off on at any given time.

Feb 5, 2019 – Amica Insurance

Thank you for your review and the comments you shared regarding your experience at our company. We place great value on feedback from our current and past employees, and we’d like the opportunity to... More

5. "Family friendly Company"

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefit package includes medical insurance, vacation days, 401k, sick leave, etc.

Cons

Senior management are less likely to make any changes to their current job content

"Horrible place to work"

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, cafeteria, on site fitness center.

Cons

They operate like it is 1950. The bosses are horrible and unqualified because they've been there forever and don't know what the real world of business is all about. If you act like a stepford person, you'll fit it. People are afraid to speak up. It's a horrible, small minded place and you will be miserable.

Advice to Management

Have you checked the qualifications of your leaders?

Feb 13, 2019 – Amica Insurance

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way about your experiences with us, and we’d like to discuss your comments and concerns with you directly. If you’re interested in... More

"Great Foundation, Challenging Management"

Current Employee - National Service Manager
    Current Employee - National Service Manager

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time

Pros

Amica has fantastic medical, 401K, LTD, Maternity benefits and the members are fantastic!

Cons

Management, management, management. These are often times young people with varying degrees that truly don't know how to manage let alone anything about customer service. While I respect the managers at this company, when help is needed it is often not provided until you find the one manager willing to take on all the problems and miscommunication.
    Another HUGE con is time off. At the service centers you earn time for working holidays which helps but if you are dedicated to your family this is a struggle picking and choosing which holidays to work in order to have enough time to make it through a year and be there when your kids are sick, or if you are sick. If you want to plan a long vacation you truly have to plan it out awhile in advance because there just isn't enough time to take a true family vacation at this company without spending your entire years worth in one swift motion (that is until you've been there 10 years or so.) Please increase time off, we already have a stressful job and not a lot of assistance.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring any degree and placing them into a training program realize that many of your current employees have more talent and experience with management and actually know people. I realize that it is less expensive to attempt to morph someone fresh out of college but when they truly don't know people they are meant for another job. You are losing so many good reps due to bad management and your overall customer base is suffering when the environment is so negative. Favoritism is another challenge in your company. Instead of rewarding those that work hard, those that tend to "suck up" are often promoted even if they are 100% incapable of the position. I realize that the majority of these posts Amica is asking for people to reach out however I do not feel comfortable for potential repercussions for shedding some light on the current situation. The SCOS need 100% revamping especially after the lanes. Please help!

Jan 22, 2019 – Amica Insurance

Thank you for your review. At Amica, we believe strongly in our promote-from-within philosophy, as we always prioritize the strengths and abilities of our current employees. When we do hire outside... More

8. "It’s JUST okay..."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and helpful. Make the day so much better.

Cons

Management is never on the same page, constantly changing, micromanaging

Dec 20, 2018 – Amica Insurance

We’re sorry to hear this about your experience with us, and we’d like to learn more so we can better respond to your concerns. Could you please email us at employeefeedback@amica.com so we can get in... More

9. "Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time

Pros

the team and people you work with. really friendly and always around to help

Cons

There are times where they want you to be a salesmen and you promotions can depend on it and this job isnt about selling its about providing the service to the customer.

Nov 29, 2018 – Amica Insurance

Thank you for your review! We’re glad to hear that you enjoy the people you work with. We also appreciate your feedback and we’ll be sure to pass your comments along for review. Thank you.

10. "Fun Place"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience with good people!

Cons

I cant think of any!

Advice to Management

Please stop hurting me