Amica Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Amica Mutual President, CEO and Director Robert A. DiMuccio
Robert A. DiMuccio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place for work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great benefits, excellent team wok environment and the company takes great care of their employees (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is strongly encouraged (in 10 reviews)

• They make this sound like a real insurance agent job, but you're really just working in a call center (in 13 reviews)

1. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - National Service Representative III in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - National Service Representative III in Providence, RI

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for health, dental, optical, and legal. Bonuses for sales on a monthly basis. People that you work with. Company that loves its employees.

Cons

High stress and fast pace environment that does not work well for everyone. Need to be adaptable and able to adjust to a multitude of situations.

2. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

Very easily to get written/ terminated if you exceed sick time. You're pretty much a robot because you barely have time to go the bathroom since they are very strict with off phone time.. not much room for growth

3. "Account Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! Good benefits, always providing lunch, provides massage therapist in office (which helps when you are sitting at a computer all day), my co-workers and work environment was the best drama free work environment I have ever had! Dont get me wrong, there's always something going on work wise with customers, but that is what comes with customer service!

Cons

Expected to be like a robot, just sitting at a computer. Always being tracked how much time you are spending with everything (though since it is a call center environment, this is what the company needs to do). Kind of hard to move up in the company since they dont hire account managers from current account rep positions.

4. "You'd be hard-pressed to find better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GREAT company that cultivates a sense of camaraderie among co-workers through a series of employee engagement activities. Customer-focused selling and no cold calling! Wonderful benefits for myself and my family. Caring management and promote from within program. Nice location in Lake Oswego business park.

Cons

As with all customer service jobs, working with customers can be trying at times. Today's society has an expectation that they will receive the "quickest, cheapest" service and product out there, which can be unreasonable. We do all of our underwriting upfront so that we get it right the first time!

Advice to Management

Thanks for all of the encouragement and training. I have learned so much about Integrity Selling and working with people :)

5. "Best company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great managers that promoted the we feel. Team work amongst co workers. Great benefits!

Cons

Nothing I can think of. I wish there was one in the area I live now!

6. "Awful place"

Former Employee - Adjuster in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Adjuster in Hartford, CT

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They gave us a phone and an ipad

Cons

- was sexually harassed, they haze new employees, there is no work-life balance, they don't compensate to the level of their competitors, they have horrible middle management (no leadership), they do not inspire or motivate
    - The Amica catch the culture presentation is fake - the people presenting it lie ex: I heard it in September and they told the same story that happened "last week" again in February when it was presented to my branch

Advice to Management

- motivate employees
    - do not scold people
    - teach and inspire
    - support your own

"It was pretty good there"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent co-workers and management, a lot of events and celebrations for the employees, bonuses, they care about their employees

Cons

Different management or leaders giving different answers, Call routing issues, licensing test covers stuff you will literally never need, calls can get emotionally taxing and repetitive

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is on the same page with information.

"Average with a Mask"

Former Employee - National Customer Svs Representative in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - National Customer Svs Representative in Carmel, IN

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, upgraded computers, anticipated phone upgrades, pays lip service a "good culture". Offers flexibility where it benefits the employer, such as offering entry level customer service representatives 37.5 hours as full time at $14/hr (27,300 base salary), which is the equivalent $13.13/hr at a 40/hr per week employer. To be completely honest, during my tenure employees were allowed to work over 37.5 hour minimum with pre-approval. Employees could also forego unpaid lunch breaks which further shortens the work day.

Cons

The culture "talk" is used to justify unfair management behavior. Like many places the management is ignorant or complicit when a leader abuses subordinates. A sycophant will be rewarded; independent thinkers and confident personalities will be targeted.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you expect them to treat your customers. Your employees truly want to tell you when another member of management is overstepping boundaries, harassing, retaliating, or bullying, but if you're ignoring the hints and missing opportunities to ask probing questions to fully investigate abuse, your best and brightest will take their talents to your competition. Oh, and thanks for the training, your competition appreciates that too.

9. "Love it"

Former Employee - Associate Account Representative in Raynham, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Account Representative in Raynham, MA

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working there. Coworkers become family.

Cons

Not too many cons at all.

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at Amica Mutual (More than a year)

Pros

Amica does a great job facilitating team-building exercises. The benefits were good, and the pay was decent given the nature of the job. The best part of Amica are the people. The managers are wonderful, there are open lines of communication, and it affords the opportunity for growth if you do your part. Overall, I had a positive experience working here.

Cons

Must be open to change. The insurance industry is highly regulated, so there are frequent changes in policy's/procedures. Not necessarily a "con", but it is something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

Management is great!