Amnesty International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Salil Shetty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Got up close insight into how human rights advocacy occurs (in 42 reviews)

• Great collaborative work environment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Working here was hugely disillusioning in a charity that prides itself on its courage to stand up for human rights (in 19 reviews)

• Absolute shark tank with minimal to no job security, operating in a top-down pressure cooker of stress (in 7 reviews)

"Great Experience for Activists"

Former Employee - Street Canvasser in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Street Canvasser in Oakland, CA

I worked at Amnesty International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work that you do as a canvasser for Amnesty International he's a really great experience and I learned a lot. I got to meet and work with some of the most passionate and charismatic people I've ever met in my life and I I learned how to communicate with all different kinds of people to help change the world. The director in Oakland is one of the most motivated people I've ever met. She was running two cities during my tenure at amnesty and still found time to come and work with me one-on-one as well as others and find ways to motivate all kinds of individuals. Trainings were fun, upbeat, and useful. The people that I worked with were an eclectic bunch. I really enjoy the fact that there were people from all over the world and every different kind of group you could imagine coming into this job for the united purpose of building Amnesty's voice. While I did move on from this position for another opportunity, I will always look back with gratitude for my time with the amnesty canvass.

Cons

The Bay Area is quite expensive and I understand non-profit money constraints but the low wages make it so that only more privileged folks can actually take this job. I was coming from an area quite far from the office and quite far from most of the areas that we canvassed and I would spend 15 dollars or more daily on transportation.

Advice to Management

Keep motivating the new folks! Y'all are doing amazing things and I'm proud to have been a part of it. Unicorns do exist!

2. "Canvasser in NYC"

I have been working at Amnesty International full-time

Pros

Good time to talking to poeple. Fun if you're a people person.
    Good upword mobility
    Benefits
    Young and friendly place to work
    Not bad in terms of an entry or summer job

Cons

Hard to work if you're not friendly
    Lots of rejection on a daily basis
    Management isn't supportive

Advice to Management

Maybe be more strict in hiring to better train recruits

3. "Canvasser"

I worked at Amnesty International full-time

Pros

You get to learn about world issues and be apart of making a change

Cons

Puts you on review if you don’t raise a minimum of 250 every week and then you get fired if still not met but they don’t tell you in training

Advice to Management

Be honest in your hiring process , better training ,

4. "Awesome"

Pros

Working for a great cause

Cons

I really liked everything about Amnesty

"Abuse of power is rewarded"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC

I worked at Amnesty International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for an organization that is well respected, well known, and trusted.

Cons

Promotion is not based on hard work or merit. It's favoritism. Upper management had a clique, even romantic relationships with their staff. Superiors knew but didn't take action as long as numbers came in. Even if those numbers were fraud. Despite the knowledge of rampant unprofessionalism and fraud, promotions were still handed out, repeatedly.

Advice to Management

Rewarding abuse of power isn't ok. Amnesty International is well respected, well known. Do better to keep it that way.

"Nightmare Organization"

Former Employee - Team Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Lead in New York, NY

I worked at Amnesty International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people you meet and work with are incredible, and can remain lifelong friends. Decent benefits. Looks good on your CV.

Cons

Tyrannical upper management. Absolute shark tank with minimal to no job security, operating in a top-down pressure cooker of stress. Middle management try to look out for their teams, but become crushed. The organization is more interested in rapid expansion and ROI than investing in their staff, and as a result, management is chaotic and uses gaslighting tactics to keep their brand externally in tact. Opportunity for growth is contingent upon likability rather than competency. HR knows what they're doing though, and they cover every single angle to keep the Department of Labor from tearing the place to shreds. Further, while they grind regular employees to the bone for donations, management is happy to drop $1,000+ of company money for excessive dinners in SoHo to "boost morale." I should clarify that this is for management, however, and regular employees are entitled to free coffee in the breakroom, and the occasional company-bought pizza.

Unless you are making money for the organization, upper management doesn't care about you. They would rather force your resignation or sniff out any reason for involuntary termination rather than invest in the quality of existing staff. The turnover rate is astonishing. Demotions are common.

This place is a nightmare, and it's an incredible irony that they tout themselves as a human rights organization when it's a house of cards.

Advice to Management

Stop gaslighting. Stop backstabbing. Stop the interpersonal drama between members of staff. Stop violating your own employees in the name of "human rights."

"Canvasser"

Current Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

I have been working at Amnesty International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cause, great co-workers, if you love outdoors or are new to NYC you get to experience many areas you probably haven't explored yet

Cons

Management is tyrannical, prejudiced, and unprofessional. The office climate is tense, and any criticism about how things get run gets you booted / humiliated.

Advice to Management

Treat others with respect and know the canvassers make your jobs / salaries even possible

"Canvasser NYC"

Former Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Amnesty International full-time

Pros

Co-workers are passionate and kind

The larger organization does amazing work, one of the most well-known human rights organizations

Get to spend time outside, especially lovely in spring and fall

Meet loads of new and interesting people

Cons

High office turnover, especially when they change quota/employee standards with little warning. Demoting team leads is discouraging for new employees and shakes the office.

Need to be thick-skinned as people who disagree can become hostile and demeaning. Sexual assault while out on the street can become an issue and management does not acknowledge this even when it is brought up by senior staff

Management is chaotic, condescending and out of touch. They struggle to relate to the job and come off as abrasive and hurtful to employees. I would not recommend solely because of management

In the beginning, they put your hours just under 40 so you are not considered full time (benefits)

Advice to Management

Be more compassionate and don't belittle those working for you. Get involved more and canvass themselves

Have a seminar and speak to employees about dangers, specifically for sexual assault. Give employees a place to bring these concerns or experiences to be acknowledged. Unfortunately must teach people ways to keep themselves safe at this job

9. "Canvasser"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Amnesty International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job attracts really cool people, but other than that there is nothing good about this job.

Cons

This job has an insane turnover rate. At least 75% don't make it the first three days. The remaining 25% struggle to hit quota and rely on relatives to do so. The management doesn't care how long you've been there. The employees who've been there longest have only been around 6 months. Employees about to receive benefits were fired for things the company had known about for months and that other workers not about to receive benefits continue to get away with.

10. "It is a great place to work in."

I worked at Amnesty International part-time

Pros

The work is rewarding and staff are very friendly. Interns work is highly appreciated and everyone there is always ready to help

Cons

You may have to spend extra hours or time to finish the work.