Amphastar Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Jack Y. Zhang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Regulatory Specialist"

I have been working at Amphastar full-time

Pros

The schedule is great. Nice friendly people to work with.

Cons

No advancement in my department

"FAVORITISM to the Max as well as terrible pay!!!"

I have been working at Amphastar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cross training and basically they will hire ANYONE!!

Cons

When I first started I was trained in different areas weekly by my (trainers) and only my trainers. Until recently I noticed my "supervisor" I NEVER seen train is now all of a sudden training a new employee on equipment many of us have not yet been trained on. We address the issue and the "supervisor" said "I want everyone on the same page of training". Which does not make any sense because the "supervisor" only trains who they feel they want it's called favoritism. Also for the line of work and espeacily this kind of industry that we are in we should have a hire pay. Every single management and higher up will say continuously these medications will be used on sick children and individuals so we need to be cautious as possible. I DO A GREAT JOB IN DOING SO, SO WHY WOULD MY PAY NOT REFLECT HOW IMPORTANT MY JOB IS ON A DAILY BASIS.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and there issues and understand we all want to advance. Do not bring in your emotions to the job and start ignoring others because you feel there against you we all need to be adults and focus on work related activities.

"Worst Place to work : Production"

I have been working at Amphastar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None!!!! I'm Calling OSHA as we Speak. I'm not a Slave!

Cons

During Shutdowns they will have u work with "Facilities" however; they'll make u cut leaves, paint walls, shave down doors, scrub toilets, mop floors, WASH MANAGEMENT'S CARS, AND CLEAN MANAGEMENT'S HOUSE!!!!!!

Advice to Management

We're not in China! Stop giving us Slave Labor Duties and Also Take our Advice & Comments into Consideration!

"Engineer Supervisor"

I have been working at Amphastar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Do not come here, even you homeless.

Cons

Chinese company, culture is Chinese.

Advice to Management

This is USA, do not need Chinese culture.

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Amphastar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All other employees are so bad (poorly educated, non-English speaking, ugly) that you may feel good about yourself for a couple of days before you release what an abyss you are in. It is a curious case how they managed to gather so many losers.

Cons

Some people say it is a good experience at Amphastar to learn something about the pharmaceutical industry and may help you land another job in the same industry, in order to justify their higher-than-1-star ratings. Let me clarify the myth. It is true you can learn something about the industry standard that expired 10 years ago (that's why they can't pass FDA's recent inspections). And Amphastar really does not have a good reputation to help you with your future career.
    Things are off-track.

1. Worst pay and benefit

2. Senior Management is unbelievably incompetent. I know this because I worked closely with many of them.
    (1) The CEO is in his 70s, ill-tempered and forgetful at work. He can't remember things is a big problem because he likes to micromanage the company. CEO's letters to the FDA is full of English mistakes too.
    (2) The COO is his wife who does not really do anything.
    (3) The already-small management has many of the CEO's Chinese relatives. These people get super jealous if you show any competence, and they will try to destroy you.
    (4) The few white guys in the management are just for show: they are sent off to various conferences to represent the company and that's about it, including the President and the CFO. They just seem to be puppets.
    (5) There is no hope that the CEO may step down anytime soon as he is expecting to hand the company to his 18-year-old son when he's ready.

3. The management is full of lies. They promise so much but deliver so little.
    (1) They lie to the investors about their "strong pipeline", but the fact is the company just does not have what it takes for R&D. For example, the CEO tells the investors they have more than 10 products in the pipeline when they only have like 2 or 3 that are just in the infant stage. What the CEO would do then is to brandish some samples from India and claim those are Amphastar-developed-high-quality product. They say they have patents? I read them all, all garbage.
    (2) They lie to the employee about benefits they will never get.
    (3) A guy got injured in production due to the minimal protection provided by the company (noncompliance with safety codes). His face was boiled. The company made no compensation other than sending him to a hospital and asked him to come back to work in a week.
    (4) They lie to new members on the management team about promotion opportunities to get people to join the team at lower offerings. But the fact is, only the CEO's relatives and cook-sukkers get them. If you go ask, they will lie, if you are persistent, they will just kick you out. Hey, at least they got some cheap labor out of you.
    (5) You think you get a better chance at this Chinese family company because you are Chinese? You couldn't be more wrong. They will not help with immigration and they somehow think they own you.
    (6) The CEO himself will lie to your face.
    (7) There are frequent quality issues in the production, which they hide by "good paperwork".

4. This is perhaps the most important. The pharmaceutical company is on bad terms with the FDA. They constantly defy FDA's rules and regulations. Every FDA inspections raise multiple red flags. And I quote the CEO himself "FDA makes all kinds of mistakes". It cracks me up. All bad companies eventually die, don't you think so?

5. Amphastar is looking bad in a series of litigations, potentially facing a huge financial loss.

I will end this review with the words of a former employee "I'd be better off go flipping burgers than working at Amphastar".

Advice to Management

Suck up your lies and meet the happy ending of one fewer bad pharmaceutical company.

6. "A Developing Company"

I worked at Amphastar full-time

Pros

It is a very good place for older or unskillful people, or who speaks poor English. Chinese and Spanish are popular.

Cons

Very low payment and lot of overtime. Management always lose their temper over some trifle.

7. "A Good Place to Start"

I have been working at Amphastar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amphastar offers a healthy learning environment and very friendly staff.

Cons

The company pays well below industry average.

"Run!"

I worked at Amphastar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked there in Management from many years. Was easily promoted, given lots of stock, given incredible opportunities and was "part of the family".

Cons

Had impossible expectations that were sprung on me on an "all of a sudden", you would be in favor one moment and out of favor the next. C level management always looked for a scapegoat when anything went wrong. They would never take any personal responsibility in failure, but laid the blame on other and terminated long-time, loyal employees. I have post traumatic stress from working there so long. Top brass tended to pigeon-hole jobs on a racial basis. Most technical jobs are filled by Asians, all janitorial were filled by Latinos, most Marketing, Legal, and HR were filled by Caucasians. Muslims or Indians (dot not feather) need not apply.

Advice to Management

Trust people. Reward people properly. Pay attention to more than VPs. Listen to what people think and don't dismiss it wholesale. This could be one of the best companies out there if the top brass would allow people the latitude to learn from mistakes without being constantly punished for them. This place makes me sad, because the top leadership are good people at heart, but don't allow themselves to be anything but the gurus of the company. Very sad.

9. "Decent place to get a start"

Pros

Flexible schedule, good people in the department

Cons

Feast or famine work environment, low pat

Advice to Management

Happy workers tend to stick around.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Amphastar (More than a year)

Pros

Good for recent graduates. Some higher ups are extremely helpful and caring.

Cons

Low low pay, bulldozes workers with work, micromanagement. doesn't respect workers. MANAGEMENT IS VERY DISORGANIZED. Incompetent director in one of the depts because of his connections always screwing up his workers.

Advice to Management

THIS ISNT CHINA. Stop speaking Mandarin in front of non-Mandarin speakers and don't pile workers up with work out of nowhere. CEO thinks he's God since Chinese workers are scared of him and try to walk around his office. Oh, and please don't be rude to interviewers.