Amplify Credit Union Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people is what makes Amplify the best. The investment and development they afford to those who desire it is there and this organization will not hold you back should you choose to challenge yourself. As a tenured manager in Retail I can say the work like balance was good.. at the end of the day, your branch runs based on what you put into it. The upper management created an autonomous environment for the Retail side and does a good job at holding you accountable to work standards. Coaching and development is a priority here; daily, weekly or monthly contact with your boss is normal and you also get invited to focus groups with the CEO to help keep Amplify a desirable place to work. Benefits are great here and the longer you stay on board, the better it gets! Great Credit Union to work for, and growth is in their future. If you get a chance to work here.. DO IT!

Cons

In any organization communication is always an issue. With so many moving parts and changes happening it's vital to keep this area a high focus as it can have a direct impact on morale.. and keep in mind.. it may not be a lack of communication but mistakes or indirect/misleading messages.

Lastly, rude and escalated members are hard to deal with. If a member acts up and escalates a situation, usually they get what they want and their behavior and attitude towards your team members never gets addressed. It's been the hardest part of the job seeing how some members will treat you and escalate a situation just to get a fee waived or process a transaction we typically wouldn't do just to prove a point and hold you to it at a later time.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people; training, coaching and development. And bring back your yearly employee gathering. (ACE) Not many companies do this and it is an easy way to show appreciation and let your team members mingle and come together to celebrate all the wonderful things Amplify is known for!

Mar 8, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you so much for your years of service to Amplify and to our members! We also appreciate your taking the time to submit such a detailed review - getting this level of feedback really helps us... More

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, great place to learn, decent pay

Cons

Growth is a little slow going.

Jul 31, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

It is always great to hear that our long-tenured team members like you are enjoying working at Amplify! Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words. When it comes to growth, we assume... More

"IT specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great benefits. Some of the people are very hardworking.

Cons

Management lacks transparency. People play dirty politics and back stabbing. They claim equal rights but there is discrimination. No place for a honest person. Work life balance is bad. After they get their work done there is no recognition.

Advice to Management

Follow what you preach. You never get best employees when you play politics with them and try to pull them down.

Jan 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is obvious from your post that you are really unhappy with management at this point. It is also highly concerning that you mention... More

4. "Employment at Amplify Credit Union"

Current Employee - Senior IT Security Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Security Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company exemplifies placing the employee first and making them feel they are a part of the team from day one! From the outstanding quality on-boarding by our outstanding HR, to working in your department the environment is second to none! This place needs to be listed as one of the best places in Austin, Texas to work hands down!

Cons

The only con is that I was not working here sooner!

Advice to Management

Keep it moving in the forward thinking direction it is currently doing.

Oct 24, 2016 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for the review - we are glad that your experience has been positive so far! Sometimes the newness wears off after you have been with a company for a while. People start to see things that... More

"Analysis Paralysis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Very intelligent and technically skilled individuals working at the executive level. Huge opportunity in the market to catch-up and grow significantly over the next few years.

Cons

Technical expertise shouldn't be the only strength of a leadership team. True leadership is significantly lacking. There's a "keep your head down and shut up" mentality that prevents them from moving forward. The hope for the future rests on the dream that when top execs finally retire, it will somehow magically get better.

Advice to Management

Stop taking the path of least resistance in order to avoid conflict or secure your seat at the table. Stand up to the bullying and manipulative leadership style that has been permitted to grow like a cancer throughout what could be an amazing credit union. Stop reading books about leadership in hopes that it will change the people who openly mock leadership training. They tear it down because of fear and insecurity. How many books will be written about toxic leadership before the light bulb finally turns on? There is a real opportunity coming for the board to clean house and make painful but necessary changes at the top. I'm hopeful that the old saying is true and good will conquer - but only time will tell.

Mar 17, 2016 – President/CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and share your concerns. This feedback gives us the opportunity to address your concerns and hopefully alleviate them through communication and better... More

"Local Credit Union that preaches service"

Former Employee - Account Manager Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good relationship w/ management & staff. Room to grow in company, if service and sales goals are met. Executive staff is friendly and always open to talk. Coworkers are always there to assist and mentor.

Cons

Lack of pay. Inconsistency in management communication. Constant change in staff (expected since you're working in retail).

Advice to Management

Higher Pay. Catch up to the competition in regards to technology and systems being used for employees (too many password to memorize).

Oct 1, 2015 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, even after leaving Amplify. Our executive staff has really been working on staying in touch with everyone, which can be a challenge as meetings... More

"And this is why I don't look at other jobs...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Amplify for almost 10 years now. I've watched it grow from about 100 employees to now over 200 employees. We've multiplied from two branches to 8 in that time. I've seen the implementation of our mortgage department and watched it grow into a booming part of our business. Business and Consumer lending have developed and become defined. There has been a ton of change, not the least of which was our name change from IBM Texas Employees Federal Credit Union (whew!) to Amplify back in 2006. The change is what keeps it exciting for me. Every day is something different. But there are other things that make me want to stay, like excellent benefits, flexible hours (I'm in a back office role), ability to attend training and external conferences, etc.

What really makes a difference is the company culture. I had never worked for a not-for-profit organization before I came to Amplify, and the perspective is amazing. Even though I'm not dealing with our members directly, hearing the stories from our retail and lending teams about how they have helped our members avoid fraud, keep their car, get a loan to buy an engagement ring...it makes me feel good by association! I am so proud to work with everyone on this team because they put their hearts into their work with a smile on their face. It just encourages me to do what I can to support them so they can support our members. That kind of teamwork was never all that evident in my other jobs.

I've never felt hesitant to talk to any of our leadership team, from Paul (our CEO) on down. All the Sr. VPs have their doors open unless they're in a meeting, and if I have a question for one of them I can just pop my head in the door and ask. I really like that they have a meeting with all the managers each quarter to fill them in on everything from our financials to our goals to employee recognition and plans for the future, and then the managers present all that information to their departments. Those meetings help me stay in tune with what is going on in other departments and with the business as a whole.

I get contacted by headhunters on a pretty regular basis, but I don't even bother to consider other jobs. I've been elsewhere. I know what it's like. Amplify is the best place for me.

Cons

I paint a glowing picture above, but everything can't always be rainbows and puppies, and that is true here, too. Amplify has its warts. Sometimes communication is a challenge - a bombardment of emails and process changes that don't always filter out to everyone who needs to know prior to the change occurring. I think that is par for the course in most companies these days. Some departments are still rather flat in structure, which means that there aren't as many opportunities to move up, if that is what your career goal is. That being said, I have seen a great number of my coworkers kind of job hop within our organization, getting experience in multiple roles and multiple departments. That is cool for them, but also really helpful to Amplify because it helps build understanding of how what they are doing in their department affects other departments. Plus we get to keep all that historical knowledge in the company.

The thing that is probably the biggest con for me is that sometimes people bring their baggage from past work lives into Amplify. When they are managers, it can be hard to scrape off the habits they acquired at other organizations so that they mesh with our culture here. When they are individual contributors, many times they are paranoid of management and of speaking up or making suggestions. They don't have trust in the organization, and they aren't willing to give it a chance or ask questions to verify their beliefs, they just hold on to their trunk of distrust and make assumptions based on that. For me, that is a huge frustration - if you can't contribute to a positive culture, or even try, then take your negativity elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Work gets busier and busier, but don't let that prevent you from getting out and talking to those who report to you, and even those in other departments. We go farther together than we can go alone. Communication is important. I really appreciate the freedom to voice my opinions and share my ideas and have them be heard, so please foster that for everyone. Keep your eyes and ears open - When there are people who are not performing or who don't demonstrate Amplify's values in their behavior, get them out of here before they start to bring their coworkers down.

Jun 15, 2015 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your years of service to Amplify, and for taking the time to share your thoughts. Many of the things you have mentioned as cons are things that our management team has on the radar... More

8. "Excellent company with room to grow and move up while making a difference in our members lives"

Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive, very hands on, and always something to learn! They care about their workers and build personal connections with their employees.

Cons

The systems are typical credit union systems aka their ancient! The goals for some positions are a bit high, but still achievable.

Advice to Management

Continue to do great things and continue to inspire those around you. Thank you for being accessible and for caring so much about what you do! Overall great company

Mar 25, 2015 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback - we certainly hope that you will continue to have a great working experience here. Please share your ideas and concerns with your management team. We can always use... More

"Avoid at all costs."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As others have mentioned, Amplify used to be a good place to work. Over the past few years that has changed. I really can't think of anything to list as a pro of working there.

Cons

Everything that happens is solely for the benefit of upper management. Don't believe for a second that the best interests of the members are even given a passing thought. How many VPs/AVPs does it take to run a credit union? The number of people with these titles has exploded and they could care less about the people on the front lines. When members think about Amplify, they think about exactly these people. Not the many many VPs or even the CEO. The tellers are the face of the credit union, bottom line. Management is making many questionable decisions and the mentality is that the employees can come along or not. Good luck achieving anything without getting and keeping your employees on board and excited about the company and its future. Upper management acts like this is a top tier place with advantages over its competitors when they can't even keep their online banking up and running.

Advice to Management

Spend less time thinking about padding your retirement accounts and more time really thinking about the members and your employees instead of just giving it lip service.

Oct 16, 2014 – Sr. HR Generalist

Your input as a tenured team member is important, so thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is very concerning when someone who has been with our organization as long as you have has... More

"A Change Will Do You Good? Well, Maybe Not."

Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Vision and Mission. At the core, it has a good foundation.

Cons

The environment that you're taught in initial training and shared during your interview exists in only that environment. In the retail centers themselves, the mentality that you are there working to live up to "People Helping People" is completely gone. Where lending used to be a more personal task, it's not been centralized to meet with the practices of the "industry". Isn't that why you work with a Credit Union so that you get the personal attention that you wouldn't get from other institutions?

The CU continues to hire management/upper management that bring "fresh" ideas that take away from the practices that made the CU a valued institution for its members. Members are coming last. The top executives have been with the CU for years, but seem to have lost touch with team members. Where monthly/quarterly meetings with the Executive team were the standard, now the communication has been eliminated. Questions about changes to policy and procedure are viewed as a "rebel" action and will result in creating a target on your back as they work to eliminate anyone who would be causing an "uprising".

If you are considering working for Amplify, please ask what the turnover rate is. They are "colorful" with their statistics, as they mention that several team members resign their positions. It is a practice of theirs to give an employee the option to resign or be terminated. They explain that resigning will help the team member in working to get a new position as they will not reveal the termination to any potential employers inquiring about their tenure at the CU.

Advice to Management

I'd say stop by a branch. Ask a MSR or a AMP to lunch, randomly, and ask them their thoughts. Take a look at the lending practices that you have instilled. Many of the new procedures that are instituted are not fully tested, and yet instead of speaking to those affected (at the branch level), mid-management massages the numbers and/or complaints of members.

Stop hiring by the buddy system. You hire management from one institution, say a bank, and then there becomes a movement to hire management from that company. When that doesn't work out, you move on to another financial institution and do the same thing, fire current managers, hire new ones, and the cycle continues.

Look at you staff that have been able to stick it out for potential leaders. A lot of talent has been lost in the last three years due to the constant change in management, management practices, and the change in the actual culture (not the one sold in the interview phase) that exists.

Aug 22, 2014 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience thus far with Amplify Credit Union.
    Your review provides us with valuable insight into your employment experience with us so far... More