Amplify Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people is what makes Amplify the best. The investment and development they afford to those who desire it is there and this organization will not hold you back should you choose to challenge yourself. As a tenured manager in Retail I can say the work like balance was good.. at the end of the day, your branch runs based on what you put into it. The upper management created an autonomous environment for the Retail side and does a good job at holding you accountable to work standards. Coaching and development is a priority here; daily, weekly or monthly contact with your boss is normal and you also get invited to focus groups with the CEO to help keep Amplify a desirable place to work. Benefits are great here and the longer you stay on board, the better it gets! Great Credit Union to work for, and growth is in their future. If you get a chance to work here.. DO IT!

Cons

In any organization communication is always an issue. With so many moving parts and changes happening it's vital to keep this area a high focus as it can have a direct impact on morale.. and keep in mind.. it may not be a lack of communication but mistakes or indirect/misleading messages.

Lastly, rude and escalated members are hard to deal with. If a member acts up and escalates a situation, usually they get what they want and their behavior and attitude towards your team members never gets addressed. It's been the hardest part of the job seeing how some members will treat you and escalate a situation just to get a fee waived or process a transaction we typically wouldn't do just to prove a point and hold you to it at a later time.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people; training, coaching and development. And bring back your yearly employee gathering. (ACE) Not many companies do this and it is an easy way to show appreciation and let your team members mingle and come together to celebrate all the wonderful things Amplify is known for!

Mar 8, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you so much for your years of service to Amplify and to our members! We also appreciate your taking the time to submit such a detailed review - getting this level of feedback really helps us... More

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, great place to learn, decent pay

Cons

Growth is a little slow going.

Jul 31, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

It is always great to hear that our long-tenured team members like you are enjoying working at Amplify! Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words. When it comes to growth, we assume... More

"Not so special anymore"

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO and VP team. Especially from a personal stand point. They try to get to know every associate, even the ones at the bottom. The CEO knows my name, and asks me about my family each time I see him.

Cons

I understand that the CU has to make money -- but shifting away from member service is not the answer. We have always had goals to meet, but the last couple of years, the goals have seemed unachievable for most. My particular manager always is hovering over, questioning my every move, and micromanaging. He is a fairly new manager, about a year or so. I've been there for 5+ years. I've never had anyone question my job or integrity before. I feel like his manager(s) are breathing down his neck, and he is breathing down ours. There is no need for us to be scared all the time, or feel like we are on the fence of getting fired and/or finding employment elsewhere. This manager doesn't need to be a manager by any means. This is his first management job, and he has done very poorly. I am currently looking for employment elsewhere to get out from underneath his thumb. Its not right. It is sad really.

Advice to Management

There used to be something so special about Amplify, but it is slowing diminishing, I'm sorry to say. I hope that Paul and his team can turn things around for the better.

Aug 7, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

First, thank you for your service to our members for more than half a decade. We appreciate your dedication to Amplify and our members. It is very sad that you feel the only solution to your... More

"Great pay"

Former Employee - Teller in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Teller in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Amplify Credit Union part-time

Pros

Great pay
    Flexible hours
    Paid holidays

Cons

To much like a bank.
    Have to many sales numbers or u get in trouble

Jul 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your time at Amplify and are glad to see that you felt our pay and paid time off were positives for you. In response to your other feedback... More

"Customer service"

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees I work directly with are fun and team players.

Cons

Amplify used to be an AMAZING place to work. Great employees, great perks, and unbelievable as it may seem, great managers. Not any more. The great managers were run off by upper management, the great employees were run off by the new managers and I have no idea what happened to the perks.

The goals used to be obtainable and the bonus for making goals was great! Now they've cut bonus in half, more than doubled the goals and if you don't meet the wealth management goal the 1/2 bonus you would have got is cut in half again. Although they acknowledge the #1 complaint they receive in their yearly employee survey is lack of pay, instead of doing something to fix it they make it more difficult to earn a livable wage in Austin.

Amplify has become a lot more like a regular bank. Fee refunds or forgiveness? It's like pulling teeth! Unless the member becomes a giant raving bully, then the "no" you told them (that you're told to tell them) turns into a yes from the manager who does NOT have your back.

Attempting to talk to other departments is a joke! Always in a meeting, always giving push back because they don't want to do their job. And heaven forbid you try to reach out to an employee directly, that's a black mark!

There used to be Ace parties, a Halloween event for members, lots of helping the community, and lots of fun events set up for employees outside of work. I don't know if there just isn't enough money in the budget for this anymore but with the cutting of bonus', refusal to refund fees, and aggressive sales goals it seems like there should be more than enough money.

There's really not much recognition anymore and most of the employees seem pretty darn miserable.

Advice to Management

Go back to being a credit union and let Bank of America be the bank.

Jul 20, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed and heartfelt review. It’s obvious you are dedicated to your coworkers and our members, and we take the concerns you raise seriously. We’ve... More

6. "Amp"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Leander, TX
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Leander, TX

Pros

Consistent work. Incentives pay well if you know how to sell. Benefits are really good and there are extra perks, like discounted gym memberships.

Cons

Pay not competitive, no room for growth. There used to be. But they have moved out of that mentality and now only hire with BANKING experience.

Feb 13, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for writing your review and highlighting some of the positives you have experienced working at Amplify. I’m sure our retail management team will be glad to hear that the incentive plan is... More

"Amplify"

Former Employee - Lending
    Former Employee - Lending

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full-time with benefits. Decent location.

Cons

Very broken and antiquated internal systems, programs and policies. High turnover in many departments. Workload and daily expectations were not reasonable. Management did a lot of micromanaging yet was still very unhelpful in most situations. The overall policy was often: "that's your problem, you figure it out" for issues that were well outside the scope of an entry level position (i.e. an issue requiring coordination of multiple departments). Middle management frequently seemed to simply lack the knowledge and the skill to handle issues that came up both internally and with customers which made for some overly complicated and messy situations.

Advice to Management

Hold the middle management more accountable for their knowledge and skills related to their role so they can be the leaders they need to be.

Feb 28, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, even now that you are no longer with Amplify. With the arrival of our new Chief Lending Officer last April came a re-evaluation of how our various... More

"Lending"

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time

Pros

Have some SOPs that help walk through processes.

Cons

So much is placed on us we have to do more and more with less and less staff. People are leaving because they are unhappy (not just in my department) but in other areas of lending and credit union.

Advice to Management

Take advice from your staff and employees on the changes and whether they are good or not. There is not a lot of support from the leaders here and a lot of "you figure it outs". Not helpful at all. Be supportive or you will lose more people, but maybe that's what you want since you aren't replacing those who leave.

Feb 10, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for submitting this review. If you are feeling stress in your role right now, I hope you have taken/will take the opportunity to talk to your manager in your monthly one-on-ones about how... More

"Lack of qualified leadership"

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time

Pros

The people who truly care about doing great work

Cons

Senior Leadership lacks experience to lead the company forward.

Jan 30, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to briefly review your experience working at Amplify. We are fortunate to have people here who do truly care about Amplify, the work they do, the people they work with... More

"The changing landscape"

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time

Pros

Small enough to still feel like family with some talented and hard working folks.

Cons

Credit Unions seem to becoming more and more like a commercial bank. Limited opportunity to advance.

Advice to Management

Department communication is inconsistent or lacking between departments

Dec 15, 2016 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review as a current team member, so that hopefully we can address your concerns.

Since 2012, we have consistently awarded promotions to 20+ employees... More