Amplify Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 21, 2019

3.4
Larry Berger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "People are generally easy-going and there's a great work/life balance" (in 32 reviews)

• "Work with dedicated smart people making a difference in ed tech" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Many reviews have already said it, but I'll say it again because it's true; Upper management makes consistent incompetent decisions" (in 13 reviews)

"Great workplace"

Current Employee - Copy Editor, Content Producer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Copy Editor, Content Producer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Amplify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company atmosphere, great compensation for work, plenty of opportunities for growth

Cons

Perhaps too much contract/freelance work results in a slight lack of organization.

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "Hired for work that never happened"

Former Employee - PL Specialist
    Former Employee - PL Specialist

I worked at Amplify (More than a year)

Pros

Great Curriculum aligned to standards

Cons

Disorganized Management and uncertain when work will happen

3. "A good company"

I have been working at Amplify full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, great company mission. Can work from home and unlimited paid time off.

Cons

Open office, departments share space which can get distracting.

"Don't work here"

I worked at Amplify full-time

Pros

Atmosphere in the office was nice

Cons

Many cons from this company with high up and managers. NONE of them know what they're doing. I was never clear in my role or knew what my expectations were, because my manager never spoke to me or had a clue what I should be doing. They are constantly changing their minds on everything and don't stick to one plan and let it develop. This leads to panic and constant layoffs. They are great at spitting out nonsense and then wondering why were aren't getting results.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring talent and have nothing for them to do. Figure out an actually plan and stick with it. Passion for education is present at Amplify, but when its being run by people that have no clue how a business works it results in failure. You'll never have the success of the big established education companies.

"Terrible Diversity and Bad Management"

I have been working at Amplify full-time

Pros

Perks and benefits are great. Unlimited PTO is always appreciated. If you like the city, Dumbo is a scenic area to work in. The office is nice, and day-to-day coworkers are friendly, helpful people.

Cons

Many reviews have already said it, but I'll say it again because it's true; Upper management makes consistent incompetent decisions. Projects I worked on felt directionless and as though management could not agree with its own self, despite never taking input from outside sources.

Technically the company employs women and people of color. But all the women work in art and design, all the men work in programming, and all the people of color are on their own subteam. LGBT people work on the products but are not permitted to see any representation of themselves. Management protects an employee who is openly racist and misogynistic.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amplify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, unlimited vacation, nice offices

Cons

No idea really how their products will take hold in the market. Lots of inexperienced people have been promoted Executive Leadership positions through political affiliation. An education company that lacks serious diversity on the Sr. Management level can't really be taken seriously.

"Product Manager"

I have been working at Amplify full-time

Pros

Passionate people and innovative products

Cons

Could improve organization and communication

8. "Sales Support"

I have been working at Amplify part-time

Pros

The programs and products the company sells are top notch and easy to believe in (because they work) and talk about with educators.

Cons

It can be difficult to get in touch with and get help from the correct branch. It gets convoluted and things can move slowly as you often need permission and approval for small things.

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Amplify full-time

Pros

Allowed to work remotely; your voice is listened to and heard

Cons

Decisions are often made in isolation without consulting the groups that will be affected.

"Implementation"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Amplify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, remote work, snacks, great educational software

Cons

Growing pains, management being brought in from Big companies like Pearson & HMH that don’t seem to value the work of veterans or consult with them to create change, small staffs within various departments overwhelmed, people contracted then finally offered full time jobs it seems to suppress wages. Lack of people of color in upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your experienced veterans and ask them to collaborate when making change so that people feel valued. Increase salaries so they match market. Have cultural diversity training & leadership training for management.