KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Amplify

Engaged Employer

Amplify

Add a Review

Amplify Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jun 22, 2019

Found 15 of over 350 reviews

4.4
Amplify Chief Executive Officer Larry Berger (no image)
Larry Berger
Pros
  • "Enthusiastic staff, constantly seeking feedback in order to improve, excellent work/life balance(in 36 reviews)

• "Lots of smart people who sincerely care about education(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "and resources are squandered by and for upper management, with no regard for what is needed by support those in the field(in 15 reviews)

• "very poor vision from senior management, too much at once, horrible communication from upper management(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Amplify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Undergoing change but still a great vision and company

Aug 23, 2015 - Customer Care in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has great benefits, flexible schedules, great goals and vision, very positive work environment, job satisfaction, and really has teachers' and students' best interest at heart. Innovative and forward thinking.

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management really affects employee morale, doesn't really react to customer feedback especially in the digital curriculum division, seems to have their own product vision in mind regardless of customer and internal feedback.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 2.0

Terrible Diversity and Bad Management

Nov 18, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Perks and benefits are great. Unlimited PTO is always appreciated. If you like the city, Dumbo is a scenic area to work in. The office is nice, and day-to-day coworkers are friendly, helpful people.

Cons

Many reviews have already said it, but I'll say it again because it's true; Upper management makes consistent incompetent decisions. Projects I worked on felt directionless and as though management could not agree with its own self, despite never taking input from outside sources. Technically the company employs women and people of color. But all the women work in art and design, all the men work in programming, and all the people of color are on their own subteam. LGBT people work on the products but are not permitted to see any representation of themselves. Management protects an employee who is openly racist and misogynistic.

11 people found this review helpful

Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are not happy to hear that your experience working at Amplify has been unsatisfactory. We will share your feedback with our teams to ensure that we resolve this issue.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Confusing

Jun 22, 2019 - Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

My coworkers are professional and supportive

Cons

There is no consistency, communication, or coherence. None. Tons of $ and resources are squandered by and for upper management, with no regard for what is needed by support those in the field

6 people found this review helpful

Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, and collaborative environment for all of our employees, so we are disappointed to hear about your experience and will notify the appropriate teams.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Needs to improve

May 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedules, nice offices

Cons

Poor leadership has led to a lack of strategy that adversely affected talented employees and the success of good products. Experienced people who work hard to understand customer needs are ignored - routinely excluded from meetings and communications, so that upper management can control all decisions - which are, for the most part, bad decisions.

6 people found this review helpful

5. 2.0

Downward Spiral to Its Inevitable Death

Jan 28, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working hours. Fairly friendly and intelligent colleagues who are disciplined and experienced in their job functions

Cons

Management changes directions every few months. Frequent "reorganizations" that resulted in many turnovers and poor maintenance of existing systems over the years. Company is supposed to integrate technology into education, yet, very few of the upper management seem to have any expertise in either areas. Company is supposed to be a newly formed "start-up", yet upper management seems to focus more on relationship management instead of gaining knowledge in the education domain and getting its hands dirty in the actual product. It's on a downward spiral before its eventual doom. It operates with many cons associated with those of a corporation - hierarchical structure, increasing bureaucratic, words like metrics, stability, initiative are becoming more predominant.

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Think Twice.

Jun 20, 2015 -  in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some people get to work remotely but needs to be negotiated upfront.

Cons

Product managers and owners lack the necessary skills to run a build on time or on budget. They understand education but have zero knowledge or desire to understand what is required to get anything done. EVERY budget is blown by upper management who come in at the 11th hour and change the entire product. There is no trust within the company by management to allow employees (who they hired because they are smart and talented) to actually do their jobs and contribute toward the betterment of the product(s) and company. No one is guiding the direction of the company. I mean NO ONE. The morale is dismal. There is no way to advance in your career. The management has no structure in place that allows people to grow and contribute to the company therefore the talent eventually leaves. Many (including myself) took pay cuts to join the company thinking they would get increases based on performance. It doesn’t happen – ever. A 3K raise is considered fantastic. I’m seriously looking to be out by the end of the summer and many employees are in the same pursuit.

9 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great colleagues, poor middle management!

Feb 11, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues mostly some of the brightest and dedicated I've come across in my education career. The company's mission and goals for improving K-12 teaching and learning attract many who hope to make a difference.

Cons

Middle management is ineffective, rarely proactive, and often negligent of their role in helping those they manage do their job; no career path, and in fact, you feel pigeon-holed. Employees left to figure things out for themselves. Upper management seems very sharp and attuned to making goals clear, but their middle management does not know how to support and get the most out of their teams. The most skilled seem to be those in HR. They hire the right people and continue to support them, but the day-to-day management by project managers is poor.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great People - Bad Management

Jan 14, 2016 - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best coworkers I ever had were at Amplify. Almost everyone I interacted with was exceptionally smart, creative, and talented. The office culture was good, and I looked forward to going to work every day. The products we created were high quality, and you felt like you were making a difference.

Cons

Upper management seemed to have no idea what the vision for the company was. There was an inability to pick what we excelled at and stick with that, just a lot of fumbling trying to keep up with too many things. There was no transparency about what was happening with the company, just an ominous tone of "maybe we'll have jobs tomorrow, maybe we won't" for months before the massive layoffs.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Mediocre (at best) Upper Management

Oct 13, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the people were incredible, and everyone tried to do their best. There was a sense of a shared purpose.

Cons

Upper Management was not good. The good people would carry on to support the educational community BUT often people would operate with direction or purpose, especially when it seemed that decisions were made without actually consulting anyone who was involved in the implementation of those decisions. There was often mismanagement of projects as a result.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0

Inspiration Wanted

Oct 22, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart group of people trying to do something good. Relaxed work environment. Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

No career mobility or growth opportunity. No transparency from upper management. No company strategy or direction.

2 people found this review helpful