Amplitude Reviews

4.5
Amplitude Co-founder, CEO Spenser Skates
Spenser Skates
Cons

"Growing Quickly with Grounded Company Culture"

Current Employee - Customer Success Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amplitude full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amplitude is a great place to work, with very grounded senior leadership. As some of the reviews state, our leadership team is young, but they are genuinely good people who are bright, willing to hear opinions from all employees and actively strive to do better. There is a lot of opportunity to help improve and scale up for growth. The company rewards innovation.

Cons

It is difficult to keep up with both the pace of change while balancing the infusion of infrastructure. But this will be the case in any organization dealing with rapid growth.

October 21, 2019People Team

Thank you for letting us know how things are going! We appreciate your note about the leadership team's willingness to both solicit feedback and learn from it — a helpful example of how our values of humility, ownership & growth mindset manifest in the day-to-day at Amplitude. Thanks again for sharing your experience — we're grateful for your feedback!

"Amazing Teammates, Great Product, Inexperienced Management, Undertones of Sexism"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amplitude full-time for more than a year

Pros

-My teammates were amazing people and some of my best friends -The product was and still is very strong -The company culture was friendly, happy, and quirky in the early days

Cons

-Strong IC's with no management experience were chosen to run teams -Upward feedback from employees was not taken seriously -A severely disproportionate amount of women and minorities were fired for things like culture fit or clashes with management

November 4, 2019People Team

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience working at Amplitude. We’re happy to hear that you both made great friendships, and believe in the future of the product; that means a lot to us. In addition to a great product and teammates, managers have a significant impact on the experience of employees — we are committed to holding our leaders accountable for creating supportive and inclusive environments within their teams. We are also committed to evolving the systems for how we collect feedback on the day-to-day experiences of our employees to ensure this is happening — and taking interventive action when it is not. We believe that a culture supportive of diverse perspectives, open dialogue & feedback is critical to our continued growth and success; this clearly wasn’t your experience, and we’re sad to hear it. If you’d like to continue the conversation with us about your experience, our door is always open — please feel free to email us at hr@amplitude.com. We really appreciate your feedback, and would like to hear more if you are willing to reach out.

"A confused company with scattered unorganised leadership"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amplitude full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great The product is powerful

Cons

Leadership is fickle and gives limited guidance No clear growth opportunities A company with a lot of growth pains and they have difficulty to overcome them

September 17, 2019People Team

We’re happy to hear that you’re a fan of both the people who work at Amplitude and the products we’re building– two elements of the company that we care deeply about. Thank you for the feedback about growth opportunities, as well; we’re working hard on– and will continue to prioritize– making paths for growth clear and accessible to our employees. We appreciate you taking the time out to let us know how things are going.

"Amazing product, amazing culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amplitude full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We have the privilege of working on a product that is unquestionably the best in its space (product analytics). That's exciting because it means we're at the forefront of innovation and deal with interesting and hard problems. It also means our customers love us which is rare. Company culture is the best I've ever seen. People actually talk about and live up to the values, teams are collaborative and working towards the same goal. I actually care a lot about my coworkers, and they do the same for me. The engineering team is still really small (~30) and has amazing people.

Cons

The management/exec team is not that experienced, so we have our ups and downs and all of the transitions that come with them. I think it's getting better, but sometimes it's hard to tell. Despite really good growth, sometimes morale is low when we miss a sales number. In the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but the company rallies around it. Luckily it doesn't happen too often.

September 3, 2019People Team

Thank you so much for letting us know how things are going! It's incredibly important to us that our employees experience our company values in the day-to-day and not just as aspirational words on a wall. Really glad that this– and a sense of genuine care for one another– has been your experience. We also agree that great leaders are critical to our success– both with respect to the individual development of each employee, as well as our growth as a company overall. We're committed to continued investment in our leaders (through coaching, training, regular feedback, and hiring) to ensure they're set up for success at all levels of Amplitude. We appreciate your feedback, and we will make sure to continue prioritizing manager enablement.

"Once an Ampliteer, Always an Ampliteer."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amplitude full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-I really enjoy the people I work with, they're actually a very big part of why I'm still here. -I personally feel that the platform itself is incredibly complex, and I don't think any one person here can say they've mastered all of its layers. That being said, I can say something about Amplitude that I never could say about any of my last startups - that the product actually works and it is easy to support / prove value on to customers. -I find the amount of autonomy/freedom we are given to be an awesome / unspoken perk, though I can see that some of my colleagues struggle with the same autonomy, especially in the beginning weeks of being hired and having little to no direction or sense of what is expected of them. -We really stick to our core values interpersonally, and they aren't just stickers on the wall. Ownership is by far the most celebrated and the one that I value the most as well. -The amount of effort being put into company-wide events, inclusion, etc. these days is really amazing. We have a stellar Facilities team that works tirelessly and thanklessly to cultivate our culture. Sadly, even I can see that we don't have 100% buy-in or enthusiasm from every employee (and that's fine) but I would have killed to have this type of thoughtfulness at my 4 previous startups. -Incredible Customer Success. Our CS team is so in tune with our customers and provide us in Product a direct line to our consumers. This makes addressing issues very easy to do, and the feedback we get is invaluable. And honestly, I feel the CS team does not get nearly enough credit for all the hard work they do to ensure our customer's investments are realized. -The founders are very young, yes - but they are very approachable - which is great for a company of this size. I can smile, walk up to them, and they will remember my name, and ask how I'm doing. -Culture of overachievement. Depending on who you are, this could either be a pro or a con. I personally don't like feeling that I work harder than my team, or that I'll never have the ability to learn from others, so this is a pro for me. At Amplitude, I've always felt like I needed to up my own game constantly to compete with my coworkers (in a friendly way) and I've noticed that in the last few years, I've professionally grown so much as a result of being surrounded by so many high-performing individuals who consistently go above and beyond their JD and more. -We had an amazing Q2 and blew through our target by nearly double - and we are still partying and celebrating this accomplishment. In light of this, our CEO is humbly reminding us that 1. this is a rare fluke and 2. they are not expecting this to happen again and won't pressure us to replicate this next quarter This is a realistic and less stressful approach about where we actually are in our journey, whereas most companies would be trigger-happy and expect 2x for all consequent quarters.

Cons

-On the other side of the coin - yes, our founders are very young, and therefore obviously inexperienced in leadership. This phenomenon has created a bit of friction for us internally (that the founders may not be acutely aware of) because we can all feel it but are unsure of how to communicate this in a neutral manner. -Prior to Q2, our collective morale was nose-diving, rapidly. Our honest feedback was not getting acted upon, but leadership wouldn't admit that to themselves. And I still feel like that is the undercurrent - and despite having an amazing quarter, the issues remain and are not being dealt with directly. -For some of us, we are lacking of clear career plan + comp structure. In what was probably a well-intended move, the People team pushed for comp restructure and defined career plans earlier this year. They brought in a 3rd party company to "accurately" re-assess our market-rate salaries, but they didn't fully see this through. What actually happened is that only SOME employees got clarity on $$$ and promotion paths, while MOST of us are still getting paid what we already were, and we're still in the dark on these things that were supposed to have been finalized in April (its now July and ..........) This worries me (financially), but especially worrisome when I see/hear new talent coming in and they're already frustrated about their pay and lack of growth opportunities promised to them at Amplitude within their first week.

July 29, 2019People

We’re humbled that you enjoy the people and the product so much, and that you both believe in and witness our core values in the day-to-day; that is immensely important to us, and we’re thrilled it’s been a positive part of your tenure at Amplitude. Regarding the feedback around compensation, specifically: we apologize for any confusion on this front. To clarify our philosophy, we pay our employees a singular salary for each position– these are placed above-market, and we adjust them annually to ensure they remain above-market. This approach differs from the traditional band philosophy in reducing subjectivity and the impacts of needing to self-advocate. Every employee is also eligible to be promoted every six months. We know that we have areas where we can be better, and we apologize if you haven’t felt heard. It’s clear from your post that you care deeply about Amplitude. We appreciate your commitment, patience and perseverance as we grow and change together. Thank you again for the feedback– we’re grateful for your years at Amplitude, and we hope you’ll continue to let us know how we can be better.

"Building a generational company"

5.0

I have been working at Amplitude full-time

Pros

World class product that customers love. Closest competitor is not even close Culture and values are as advertised Opportunity at the enterprise is real and only getting started Leadership made sales rigor a focus in Q2 and were rewarded with blowing out the company number.

Cons

You have to be OK with change. Company is growing so fast that you need to be able to adapt

Continue reading

"Rare opportunity to grow the right way"

I have been working at Amplitude full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is an incredible collection of kind, smart, collaborative people, trying to build a generational company around a core product with thousands of happy users. If you are looking for a company with momentum that is still writing its story, Amplitude is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Gentle chaos, less-than-clear prioritization or alignment, lack of process, all the problems you would expect a startup to have with these kinds of growth opportunities

"Mixed Bag"

2.0
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amplitude full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young, nice people to work with. Those doing the work are in it together and really care. Excellent L&D training for managers and good programs for all employees. Generous benefits, food and other start up trappings. I would have given it a one star but for the fact there are some really great people.

Cons

Leadership is all over the place . To call it Leadership at all is a stretch. Can’t seem to figure out what the focus should be and unwilling to see anything through. Marketing doesn't listen. Appear to be a bit overwhelmed and panicked. Not a group you’d want to go to war with. Mostly bc of the high probability of “ friendly “ fire given the extraordinarily poor management.

Continue reading

"Very good company ... experiencing some growing pains"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amplitude full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent product, very smart people, fun environment, good benefits

Cons

Inexperienced senior leadership, weak support for remote employees

"Amazing International Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amplitude full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance for a startup. Work the hours that make sense to you with unlimited personal time. Executive team are earnest and committed to the company and the employees. Fantastic Growth path Equity and Salary are great!

Cons

It's a startup-this means that you'll have to be flexible to be successful. Employees will help to create processes and be willing to change tracks quickly. If you want know exactly how the day will go-you'll be frustrated. No Matching 401k

Found 73 reviews