Ampush Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jesse Pujji

Pros
  • Great, super smart people, especially at the lower levels (in 7 reviews)

• Ampush is a great place to learn entrepreneurship (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours are required, and it can be taxing on the mind and body (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of experience can make it seem like the business is constantly reinventing the wheel (in 3 reviews)

"Recent Scathing Reviews are Inaccurate and Cowardly"

Current Employee - Media Team in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Team in New York, NY

I have been working at Ampush full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have plenty of good things to say about the company, including the fact that the people are whip-smart, the comp is very competitive, the industry is very dynamic and the client roster is impressive.

But I want to focus on the April 11th review that went up (in which the reviewer called the CEO a "terrible human being")...that was a cowardly, over-dramaticized, unhelpful statement that does nothing but sabotage the great work that he and the rest of us have been doing to continually reinvent the company as a leader in the space. Jesse is a caring, thoughtful guy, and you clearly haven't taken advantage of his continuous attempts to solicit constructive feedback (directly or indirectly) - instead you've bottled it up to the point where you had to vent anonymously with an off-base, disorganized, slanderous rant as you hide behind the curtain of Glassdoor's system.

To use the word "sweatshop" to describe an office of highly-paid, well-fed, fully-covered at-will employees reflects an extreme immaturity and lack of perspective that undermines the entire review. Do people at Ampush work hard? Yes. Do people at Ampush have vibrant personal lives? Absolutely. In general, companies win because their employees work harder, smarter and more collaboratively than their competitors, and I believe that happens at Ampush day in and day out - frankly, it happens all over the world at companies for which employees are proud to work.

Finally, the notion of Ad Tech being "a useless industry to excel in" is gibberish - just read the article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal (a great client, btw) about how Google and Facebook have added $230Bn in market cap between them over the past year...those companies are the king and queen of Ad Tech and we at Ampush are lucky to have excellent institutional relationships with both of them as they grow and reshape the way consumers and businesses interact with media.

Cons

The company is going through many of the same challenges that startups are experiencing all over the world. As someone who has worked at three startups over the past few years, I can tell you one thing: At any fast-paced startup, everything is on fire all of the time. If you can't take the heat of a growing business that constantly faces new challenges to overcome and solve, go work for IBM...and by the way, when IBM does layoffs, they do them 10,000 people at a time :)

Advice to Management

Don't let the vitriol dissuade you, Jesse. You are a good person as well as a great (new) parent. Just keep leading Ampush by taking feedback from the people that are brave enough to give it to you directly.

"Solid place to work with pros and cons like any company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time

Pros

-Intelligent coworkers
    -lots of opportunity for growth and development
    -amazing strategic investors
    -collaborative work environment
    -great culture and values
    -Transparency with management and Senior Leadership

Cons

-lots of competition in the space
    -growing pains and difficulties with the recent shift in business strategy
    -long hours
    -compensation below market

Advice to Management

Overall Ampush has been a good place to work. I think many of the negative reviews on here are exaggerated. As with any company there are strengths and weaknesses but ultimately you get what you put into it. There is a ton of opportunity for people to take on lots of responsibility and ownership within the company, but you have to pursue it, no one is going to hand it to you on a platter. If you are driven and a self-starter you can definitely have a major impact within (and outside of) the company.

To Management:
    1) Keep up the transparency and accessibility.
    2) Focus. You have a ton of great ideas but you need to choose the bets you are making and double down on them. Think through the scenarios you should pursue and go after them with vigor.

3. "Never stop learning!"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having joined right out of school, I didn't know what to expect, but the experience I had working alongside so many smart and talented peers was invaluable. I was exposed to so many different parts of the business and believe that that only happens at companies where they invest in people. In the past 6 months, there have been great leadership hires, including two people from McKinsey.

The founders all have strong academic and professional backgrounds. The culture is big on getting sh** done, being resourceful, solution oriented and working hard (and of course, playing hard) - and if that's an environment you thrive in, the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Company is growing which can lead to lack of structure or guidance; definitely an environment for self starters

High bar for performance and talent

"Incredible people, energizing workplace"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ampush full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After 5 months I feel confident that I am past the "honeymoon phase" and can honestly say Ampush is a wonderful place to work. They hire the smartest (most people are ivy or big firm) and most creative/innovative people- I am constantly wowed by the ideas and clever problem solving. The high caliber of mental intellect carries over to personal, nonwork conversation, which makes for a very interesting and mentally stimulating day.
    They hire for passion too, everyone is very driven which creates great energy around the office, especially when you're having an "eh" day.
    The people are mostly friendly, funny, and very outgoing. New hires quickly make friends around the office.

Cons

The clients can be demanding and ask for heaven and earth- but I've found this to be true of ALL major nationwide/global brands
    Campaigns can run early, late, on weekends and over holidays- so when you start you'll probably have to work a lot until you rise up to the next level and a new newbie replaces you. In my opinion, the pay seems well worth it.
    Expectations are high, you need to be consistently achieving and improving - which isn't impossible but takes effort
    For me personally, the periods of peak work come close to overwhelming, but I haven't actually ever truly gotten to that point. Just close
    Getting paid more would be nice- but doesn't everyone feel that way?

Advice to Management

Invest more in checking in on employees to reduce top talent turnover. Some is expected, but don't lose the gems that really add to Ampush's culture. Initiatives of this type seem underdeveloped and underfunded at the moment.

"Solid First Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush (More than a year)

Pros

Ampush hires excellent people and sets them up to enjoy themselves and one another. The SF Media team in particular has a warm and cohesive culture. We move fast and there are many opportunities to learn, prove yourself, and take on more.

Cons

Client relationships are often trying, and in the past year we have lacked the leadership bandwidth to manage this, often leaving large burdens on relatively inexperienced people. Leadership has struggled with communication, but are actively taking measures to improve this in the face of frustration around transparency

Advice to Management

Follow through. It's great to be cognizant of the challenges the org faces, and even better to lay out plans to address them, but do so in a way that displays incremental success so people know you mean it.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great benefits, lots of activities. Perfect for someone in their twenties, who wants to meet a lot of interesting people. A fun work atmosphere, working with brand new techs.

Cons

Not so family friendly, most events are targeted for the mid 20's with no kids. Mostly white Male coworkers, though they are actively working to become more diverse. Open floor plan office, can be nice but also very loud sometimes. Vague career trajectories

Advice to Management

Awesome job so far, I'm interested to see how the company evolves as its employees get older

"Great opportunity to grow and learn"

Current Employee - Media Analytics in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Media Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn new skills, experience some great mentorship, and work in the growing ad tech industry. The people are great, friendly, knowledgable and experienced. Executive team clearly puts a lot of effort into making Ampush a great place to work with clear and varied career paths.

Cons

As the company grows it's feeling a bit less of a startup and a bit more corporate. Things change quickly so you have to adapt quickly. Everyone is still learning including those at the top so while nothing is perfect things continue to improve more and more over time.

"Deep End of Social Media DR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to get exposure into all facets of social media DR. Great place to learn -- fast moving, autonomous projects, lots of intensity.

Cons

Not worth doing if you don't want to commit yourself to it. The media department especially -- hours can be intense & there's an expectation that you're intelligent enough to perform.

10. "A lot of opportunity for smart, hard working people"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For hard working and smart people, new opportunities are provided to those who ask.
    People here are bright and fun to work with.
    Benefits are solid and getting better. Lunch, snacks, game room, travel (if desired), 100% healthcare, gym membership.
    Leadership is transparent (more than I've seen at any company), dedicated to your personal growth and are receptive if you ask for help / raise concerns.

Cons

Slackers do not do well here - they surface and don't last long.
    The hours can be long (also short during times).

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart people. Remain transparent.

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great group of people to work with and it is a very fun culture to be a part of. Company is trying to grow fast and its a good time to be a part of the company.

Cons

Its very scrappy right now and you have to be able to work in that environment