Amscot Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Amscot Financial Reviews

Updated May 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Corporate think can manage your life , no work life balance they just want to you live in the branch (in 17 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance, cannot leave during shift though it's perfectly doable (in 14 reviews)

"Ok job for single people"

Current Employee - Assistant Leader in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Leader in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Amscot Financial (More than a year)

Pros

starting salary, after that it caps off,
    Associates are fun, some managers are not.

Cons

everything else, you're locked in a glass cage from the beginning of your shift.
    They only raise 0.50 cents after you're promoted. Not much incentive. Healthcare is expensive.
    401K is complete BS!! not related to regular stocks like all the major jobs. They start counting vacation days after one year of employment which is on or after May of each year. So if yo're hired before that month, you're screwed and you've to wait till they reach their fiscal year. Moreover its only one week of paid vacation. If you want overtime, Well you can't. They manage employees hours. Only Branch Managers get to earn extra hours but they're overworked to their bones. Most employees quit after 2-3 years. If you've family don't come near here. Worst part of this job is that there's no fixed schedule. You'll work one day in the morning, next day night shift, 3rd day mid shift or open way earlyy @ 6 am. Some people travel over 30 miles everyday to get to their branch. No fraternizing

Advice to Management

Stop Managing us like slaves, Change your style of Management, Give your employees more incentives. Stop Micro-managing.

Nov 30, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your review. To address some of your comments, you are not locked in a glass cage. You are however asked not to leave your shift and asked to stay inside the secure area of the branch ... More

2. "FSA"

Former Employee - Fsa in Orlando, FL

Pros

Great pay a lot of overtime vacation paid

Cons

No sick days can never call out

Advice to Management

Keep doing great

"Co-Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami Lakes, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami Lakes, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is okay. Some overtime. Friendly coworkers. Good training.

Cons

Mean customers. Managers not very helpful or motivating. Schedules are bad. Staying inside for the whole shift stuck in a fish bowl. Stools for sitting very uncomfortable. Slow promotion time.

Nov 14, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We ask associates to stay inside during their shift for their safety.

"Co leader"

Current Employee - Branch Co Leader in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Co Leader in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Amscot Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great and the employees are awesome. I have yet to work with anyone I felt wasn't giving 110% every day. The benefits are good and 5+ years of employment gets you 3 weeks paid vacation! Plenty of advancement opportunities if you want to work for it.

Cons

The hours are retail hours so they are open late and on holidays. But they make you aware of this at the interview.

"ASSISTANT MANAGER"

Current Employee - Branch Co Leader in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Co Leader in Miami, FL

I have been working at Amscot Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting wage, growth opportunity, rigorous training. You'll never feel overwhelmed about not knowing what to do in a situation cause you'll be trained for it.

Cons

HOURS, amscot does not care about your personal life amscot tends to make your schedule all about when it's best for them like a shift in the middle of the day so if you're not a social person you'll love it. ALSO THEY'LL MICRO MANAGE you up the wall. It's amscot way or the high way. CUSTOMERS are rude, and corporate doesn't have your back.

Advice to Management

Listen more to associates work with them.

7. "Professional Career"

Current Employee - Leader in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Leader in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Amscot Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training!
    Professional working atmosphere.
    The company is growing and they only promote from within.
    Great pay!

Cons

Insurance to cover a family is expensive so if offered a position make sure you ask to see the coverage.

Advice to Management

Thank you for promoting based on performance. Lets keep growing. Maybe as we gain more associates we can get more affordable healthcare.

"If you want a life, seek employment elsewhere"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time

Pros

those that I had the pleasure to train and work alongside.

Cons

everything else about this horrible company.

Advice to Management

Let us run our own business. Stop trying to micromanage everything because at the end of it all, no one knows our branch better than ourselves. You want us to abide by company policies when you're the first to break them. I can't work for a company that threatens to terminate me because I've gone ahead and started a business of my own that in no way interferes with their own. No employer should have such a large grip on their employees life. Take a moment and look into what those in the higher positions are doing because you'll be surprised to find 9 out of 10 of them are not doing what they should be doing. You'll continue to lose good, worthy employees. That should tell you something.

Nov 9, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Good luck to you and your online business and your future employment endeavors.

"The home office writes up all positive post."

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When you see words like ( hospitality) This is 100% words they use at the home office.

Cons

You are not fooling anyone. LOL LOL LOL

Advice to Management

Every step you take every move you make I will be watching you. In a good way of course.

"Good for those without college and experience."

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Pinellas Park, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Pinellas Park, FL

Pros

-Start out at $15 (you should get that at least).
    -Paid training at full pay rate.
    -They say,"fast promotion", I didn't stay long enough to find out.
    -Most employees are courteous.
    -Paid lunch breaks.

Cons

Anything that you achieved prior to Amscot such as College degree, military, experience and ect... Gets thrown out the window when you're hired. Trust me they do not care.

Pay starts at $15 but pay raises are usually no more than 25 cents.

The culture is terrible. Employees are literally told that they are not allowed to be friends outside of work.

You can only read books that the home office provides to you.

Overtime is rare unless you're a Co-Leader or Branch Leader.

Your happiness depends very much on where you are placed.

You can work no less than three miles from your home and "no more than 25 miles" away from your home. Anyone that lives in the Tampa Bay Area knows that a six mile drive can take 30 minutes during rush hour.

They offer United Healthcare for insurance and none of the three plans are good.

Try not to be placed in Pinellas County district. Hillsborough has better management.

You're going to deal with all types of people so be prepared to be degraded.

Advice to Management

Coercive management, that is the manager that says, " do it because I told you", style of management isn't effect on intelligent employees. I've only seen this in Pinellas County district though.

You stress for branch workers to get to know their customers but the company doesn't seem to get to know their employees.

"Take a window"

Former Employee - Fsa in Orlando, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is good and you get a guaranteed 40 hours a week. Better than fast food I guess? Enable your customers to make terrible financial decisions.

Cons

I saw a lot of reviews on here are obviously from recruiting and/or hr (they're all pretty much the same date lol) so I figured I'd balance it out. The work environment is pretty terrible. The absolute definition of micro management. Free thinkers need not apply. Schedule is silly, alternating closing and opening shifts week to week. There was an odd sense of fear from seasoned employees when a district manager or auditor came by the branch. That's not healthy. Upper management literally emails just to email for some reason, you will get multiples of the same email over and over. Some branch leaders automatically assume the customer is being nefarious, and the customer can sense that. First company I've also worked for where everyone seems to want a new job, but I feel a lot are stuck. A trick they play is start you with a decent rate and then give a tiny (50 cent) raise everytime you move up. The only way people make money here is an average of 20 hours a week overtime. Imagine sitting on a stool in a glass box doing mind numbing work with a camera watching you at every angle for 60 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Allow leaders in the branch to run their own branch including scheduling. I saw you replied to someone else about leaders being in charge of the schedule but we all know about the templates. Maybe add one part time employee to lessen the weight on the others. Training is taught in a way to make everyone suspicious. I understand the liability the company takes but to many people a thousand dollars money order is not a big deal and I've seen customers treated as if they were laundering it. People also harassed over pay checks they have history cashing, especially sales oriented roles. Treating people like this completely contradicts the image marketing tries so hard to portray.