Amsterdam Printing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.7
Tim Broadhead

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company To Work For!"

I have been working at Amsterdam Printing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are a family oriented company who understands that sometimes emergencies happen and are willing to work with you. Since I started working here, I have learned a lot in my field of study. Everyone is really nice and once you start working here, you can see why so many people choose to spend their entire careers working here.

Cons

Nothing really - I would prefer to wear jeans and sneakers every day instead of having to dress formally, but no matter what office you work at, you have to dress formally.

2. "Lowest Pay for Professionals Career"

Current Employee - Graphics in Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Graphics in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Amsterdam Printing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are ok, they give you popcorn every other week. Monday’s are dress down days. The AC is good, really that was a selling point when I was “interviewed”.

Cons

The pay is atrocious. A little more than minimum wage. Most employees seem to be on the poverty line. Taxis stream in and out because very few can afford cars and insurance. Also medical insurance plan is a joke.

Advice to Management

Would you like to keep employees around. Pay a living wage.

"Total Mess!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Amsterdam, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Amsterdam, NY

I worked at Amsterdam Printing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you get paid every two+ weeks. Everyone is miserable! It's an okay paycheck while you wait for something else to come up.

Cons

Most of the people are retired in place. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. Management is horrible. There is no leadership. It's all scapegoating. You should hear the stories the old timers told me my first day on the job! They fired me after I have notice!

Advice to Management

Fire bad people, reward good people.

"Most depressing place on Earth"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Queensbury, NY
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Queensbury, NY

I have been working at Amsterdam Printing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

steady job because they have trouble finding and keeping people

Cons

The overpaid management staff is the worst.

Advice to Management

You guys shouldn't have dropped out of school. Get help with your drinking and drug abuse.

"Managers do not have a clue"

Current Employee - Press Operator in Queensbury, NY
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Queensbury, NY

I have been working at Amsterdam Printing (More than 10 years)

Pros

steady job, that's about it

Cons

low pay, managers are clueless , lazy, and extremely overpaid. The machinery is old and decrepit wouldn't pass for scrap metal. Nothing but miscommunication, lack of communication, high expectations for low pay and lack of machinery maintenance.
     High turnover, new hirers always have single digit IQ's but we're expected to train them.
    Oh, and yes, I am looking for a better job.

Advice to Management

Get off of your lazy rearends and out of your cozy offices once in awhile you lazy worthless pieces of crap...

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fonda, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fonda, NY

I worked at Amsterdam Printing (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about working for this company is the cafeteria. Additionally, Shirley in HR is a lovely and caring person.

Cons

Horrible place to work. Mandatory 2 hours overtime in one day. Weekly evaluations. Pre-School type atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Please stop treating your employees as if they are small children who cannot be trusted.

""Customer Service""

Current Employee - Customer Service in Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Amsterdam Printing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment. Once you are hired there is good job security if you like working for peanuts.

Cons

Pay is terrible, well below average pay for tasks required. Have to work multiple different jobs as a customer service rep and the pay does not reflect all the different work required. The management is very poor. There is no room for advancement. Very minimal raises, no value of the employees in the customer service department. They have quarterly bonuses for sales which are extremely hard to achieve for the average rep. You have to be buddy buddy with the supervisors so more order calls are routed to you. They have an "order entry" department of 3 people who place majority of orders and receive large bonuses every quarter, their goal to achieve is the same as others who don't place thousands of orders a week and actually have to do their customer service job. They allow the order entry department to make thousands upon thousands of dollars in mistakes with no repercussion just keep handing out the large bonuses. They exported a lot of jobs to China and Mexico. The operating system is completely outdated, has been around since the 80s. Being a CSR at Amsterdam Printing and for Taylor corporation you are not valued just easily replaced by the next person willing to take the meager pay.

Advice to Management

Pay people based on experience. Stop wasting millions in terrible advertising. Update the out dated systems. Eliminate the "order entry" department make them earn it like every other csr rep. Hire better management personnel.

"TELESALES MANAGERS ARE DOWNRIGHT AWFUL!"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Amsterdam Printing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are lucky enough to get a good sales territory you'll make great money...

Cons

Leadership is awful... One of the leadership supervisors has an M.B.A. in business & tries to teach to sell going by books...Really & the Telesales Manager worked door-to-door Selling knives & Uniforms & thinks he is a guru of promotional products! He's a joke at best,& will make your life a living nightmare if you don't pretend to side with him...

Advice to Management

Stop blaming the department sales on your employees & look at the economy!

"Average"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Amsterdam Printing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Opportunity if you are a fresher. You will learn lot here. Very idle work environment . No hard deadlines to achieve.

Cons

For a long , Job is monotonous. No learning opportunity. They don't follow any software development life cycle. They have formal dress code.

"Typical Corporate America"

I worked at Amsterdam Printing full-time

Pros

You literally may have to do something illegal to get fired...OR get on the bad side of of the wrong manager or executive. Job security is almost a given.

Cons

Pay is pathetic. Office equipment is outdated before it is even issued. It's basically run by a clique who survives by speaking in circles (while in series of meetings), rides on the fact that much of the company is autonomous anyway, and covers their own tracks in anyway possible. I guess many have been terminated or have otherwise left, so that would be an improvement. Many positions are held by horrendously under-qualified people. Several departments are plagued by workers who literally stare at walls and collect paychecks.

Advice to Management

Maybe they should pay people real wages and actually screen people for qualifications (and then hold them to task of doing their job). It shouldn't take years to implement simple changes and fixes. People who can not do their job SHOULD be fired. If a young person out of college needs a year or two of experience, it could be much worse, but there are no real career opportunities for ambitious people.