Amtrak Reviews | Glassdoor

Amtrak President and CEO Richard Anderson
Richard Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The time you spend away from home can be a burden, but if you can stay prepared it can be worked out" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work/life balance was not prioritized even though it could work in certain deparments" (in 10 reviews)

"Great place to work! People believe in having fun at work!"

Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at Amtrak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, Challenging, Stay Busy, Ways to Grow Professionally.

Cons

Far from my home, Deadlines are aggresive, To many Chiefs, not enough Indians.

Advice to Management

Trust in your Engineers. They have the schooling and experience to make something happen the correct way. Just because you are in charge, does not mean you know what to do.

2. "Management needs a lot of help"

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Two consecutive days off every week

Cons

Needs better management in yard

3. "Sleeping Car Attendant"

Current Employee - Train Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Train Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, Tips, Travel, People

Cons

Hours, Away from home, Mis-management , No Sick days

Advice to Management

All managers should work every position for a t lest 2 weeks minimum before being promoted to a managerial position as to get a hands on understanding of exactly what each position entails .

4. "Coach cleaner"

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and salary as well

Cons

Shifts can change often if u haven’t been there too long

5. "Security"

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Very Secure. Low chance of lay off. Great pay. Fun job.

Cons

Scrutinized often due to safety sensitive work. Must be available any shift any day. Works holidays.

Advice to Management

None

"A sinking ship"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There used to be some, lately they’re hard to find.

Cons

Executive leadership is here to cut costs and leave. We’ve seen benefits and perks removed year after year. First it was the pension plan, then the medical got worse and cost more. Starting in January 2019 most employees are losing 6-8 days of PTO per year. The justification from the C Suite-“our research shows 10% of employees don’t use any sick time” Don’t worry about the rest of your company. Oh and C Suite bonus program rose from 35% to 75% of their salary at the same time they made the latest cuts.

Advice to Management

Leave.

"Training Director"

I worked at Amtrak full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The field level people are great to work with...

Cons

Management can’t make decisions, everything is micromanaged from the VPs. Yet the real problems are hidden from them resulting in a completely mismanaged company.

"AWFUL, NEVER RECOMMEND"

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Nothing. Nothing positive to say about this organization.

Cons

PTO is terrible, benefits are awful. The culture is toxic. They will work you til death and the morale is lower than any company I have worked at. I would never recommend anyone working at Amtrak. They promote people based on who you know or how loud you talk, not how much value you bring to the organization. Amtrak needs to get out of the 1980s mindset in order to move forward, or no one will want to work for them in a few years.

Advice to Management

Change.

"GOING Downhill Without Brakes"

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall the company resembles a train going downhill without brakes. The pros are hard to think of...I would say those that have worked for the company longer than 5 years see how the company is deteriorating whereas new employees probably enjoy it, but that will only be temporary. If you are looking for a stepping stone or just some experience this might be a good job for you. I would only come work for Amtrak if you plan to leave and have nothing better, as the starting pay is definitely competitive. However, the experience, pay, and 401k match may be the only pro. If that is still good for those just starting, definitely negotiate if they offer you crap because HR is trying to get tough. Don't be scared to walk away.

Cons

Cons...where to start...there are so many. Every benefit is getting taken away, which is evident by the perks of train travel that are disappearing also. We are being run by Airline Execs right now so we will probably be giving out peanuts on the train soon instead of letting people buy food in the cafe. Our Benefits are being taken away and our pay is decreasing so whatever you start at don't expect to work hard and be rewarded. Gradually little by little the company takes back everything you were offered initially. The worst cons might be the Health Insurance if you are not younger, Paid Time Off, and living in Fear of having your job cut. This company does not care about rewarding those that work hard, they will get rid of you if they need to cut some money of the budget. So, really we constantly need to do more with less, which means you will work harder every year to never get a raise greater than inflation. The company calls this efficiency, "we need to be more efficient." However, we are providing a worse product and service so is this how we define efficiency. If you come to Amtrak temporarily, make sure you continue to look for the next opportunity.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately no advice will work for management. The Execs no what they are doing and it is not good. The Execs and Senior Managers are getting rich and lining their own pockets while they are destroying a good company. They will walk away from the company when the well is dry. The Board needs to get rid of Anderson and the top 2 layers under him if we want to be successful in the long-term. Bring managers into Amtrak that understand the business and promote from within. We have many hard and smart employees that go undiscovered or never get promoted because of politics. Also, allow managers more discretion to manage or make decisions. The current managers either sit in their offices all day or at home. If we wanted to really cut jobs, we could get rid of a few layers of management to make communication easier and get decisions made faster.

10. "Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC

I worked at Amtrak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits, and top notch folks to work with in all departments. Very diversified workforce.

Cons

24/7 operation, so initially you’ll work odd hours.

Advice to Management

Support your teams! Customers have high expectations, so strive to exceed those expectations.