Amunix Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Volker Schellenberger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to grow"

I have been working at Amunix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Amunix is really science driven. Good science and careful experimentation always comes first.

-Because it's a small company, there's a lot of opportunity to work on different projects in other areas of the biotech business. If you take the initiative, you have the opportunity to learn about and work on new things from all the other departments.

-There's a huge potential for job and career growth if you're willing to work at it, especially at the entry level positions.

Cons

Facility and equipment issues come up a lot. Most machines are second-hand which is unfortunately necessary for a small company.

"A great work place"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist

I worked at Amunix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technologies; amazing learning opportunities; a lot of space to grow for young professionals; open-door policy; free lunch and snacks

Cons

Starting salary was low (it did get much better over the years); no flexible working hours

Advice to Management

I appreciate the management team's efforts in trying to understand the employee needs. Please keeping doing that!

"Great if you're new"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Amunix full-time

Pros

If you are straight out of college this job is a good place to start. The pay may not be comparable to the big companies, but you will get a lot of hands on experience with many different techniques. I did not realize how valuable this was until I saw how repetitive other jobs at my level can be. Everyone will have the opportunity to spearhead some new process development work. I feel very well prepared for a career in this industry because of my experiences at Amunix.
    --Free Lunches (every day)
    --Lots of snacks available all day
    --Cool people; I made a ton of great friends there
    --Flexible hours
    Amunix is in a really exciting position right now. If they play their cards right the stock options could be worth quite a lot. That's all uncertain though, so I'm not sure if that is a pro or con.

Cons

The biggest one is the salary. They really underpay their employees. Hopefully they are able to improve on that in the future. They have been trying to make up for this with stock options, but that's not as good as money in your pocket for people who have student debt to pay off.
    -- Your projects constantly change (I once when 6 months without finishing a project because they all kept getting canceled. This is really frustrating because you feel like nothing you've done for the past few months matters).

Advice to Management

Pay you're employees a competitive salary.

"They might have hit an iceberg..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

*Free Lunches.
    *it's a small company, so if you are motivated and smart, there are opportunities for someone relatively new to the industry to get a bunch of hands on experience.
    *401K program is pretty good for a small company

Cons

*They underpay, by a significant amount.
    *They refused to give raises for the second time in two years.
    *Offered a small amount of new equity to make up for the previous options now being underwater.
    *Everyone who really cared about ensuring there was a defined culture has left by choice or otherwise.
    *Passive-aggressive leadership style, is not healthy.
    *Questionable goals and motives of upper management (talking about raising money, without real action).

Advice to Management

*Pick a direction for the company and run (don't walk) towards it.
    *Pay your employees a living wage.
    *Find ways to help employees grow.
    *Actively work to define/refine the culture in a way that is positive.
    *Be honest with yourself, accept your limits, and trust others to do what you ask of them.

"On the Right Path"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Amunix full-time

Pros

Learned a tremendous amount of skills in a variety of areas. You will be exposed to a bunch of new things and taking full advantage of all the different scientific pursuits of the company is a definite boost to careers.
    Lots of very smart knowledgeable people working on a cool technology.
    Projects I worked on were very interesting and had a good deal of fun working on them.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Work atmosphere was a little disappointing and bland.
    At times it seems like projects / groups are pitted against eachother.
    Some indecisive and/or reactive management at times caused frustration as an employee.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating an enjoyable and sustainable culture at the company.
    Trust your employees and their own expertise - frequently only upper management has a seat at the decision-making table.

"lots of promises, but not lots of promise"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Amunix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

equity
    okay 401(k) match
    subsided health insurance

Cons

compensation is NOT competitive
    not a lot of opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

Be proactive about retaining talent. Compensation is not correlated to performance, employees will likely leave or under-perform as a consequence.

"So much potential hindered by so much dysfunction."

I have been working at Amunix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches, ability to gain a diverse skillset, and flexible working hours, interesting co workers.

Cons

The sky truly is the limit for this company and its product but it is being held back by so much dysfunction the the higher echelons of management. infighting between the most senior levels of management has led to a political power struggle has a horrible trickle down effect on all lower levels within this company. Managers who are not apart of this have either completely check out or are unwilling to address this. The end result is a company in stagnation that doesn't know which way to go. A complete lack of clear fundamental leadership will destroy this company.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. All successful leaders lead from the front and embody what they expect out of others in a leadership role.

"2 years and going strong"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Amunix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Amunix for about 2 years and am very happy with my experience here. The technology we are developing is very exciting and has the potential to meet a very real need in the pharmaceutical industry. People are in general very friendly and if you need to take a step back on a busy day, there is usually someone by the coffee makers with whom to have a quick gab. All the managers have a different style; some are more or less hands on. So if you come in for an interview, be sure to make known your work style. The pay is comparable to other start ups in the area. The salaries listed on glassdoor are slightly outdated and can overall be shifted up by about 5K. The free lunches are great! They just built an outdoor eating area per the request of employees. They take feedback so if a meal is a hit or a miss they will note it for the future. Best thing about the company is the laid back environment. Sometimes I need to come into work late or leave for a few hours around lunch, and the relevant people always understand. Of course you need to get your work done and be present during the day to assist your coworkers, but if you have an emergency or like to get in and stay late - or the other way around, people are understanding. Also people like to take walks after lunch, which is a nice break from the building and there are a lot of pretty walkways around here. The HRish people (because I don't think we have an actual HR department) work really hard to keep us comfortable. They have plenty of coffee and snacks available and accommodate personal requests when they can. They added a little "freshen up" kit in the bathroom which is nice.

Also, Volker has a really bad rating on Glassdoor for some reason. Honestly I have no idea why. He's great. He is always here before me and almost always is one of the last people to leave. He schedules meetings with ALL the employees once a year to hear complaints/suggestions. And he eats lunch with us so it's easy to get to know him and feel comfortable bringing things up. Yes, he's SUPER busy but when I asked him to sit down and discuss my research with me, he was happy to comply. So I don't know where the other reviewers are coming from; all I can think of is that they never asked.

Cons

Fruit flies. There is a never ending battle between us and the fruit flies in the break room. I'm confident we will win eventually. The work here tends to come in waves, so you will have a few slow weeks and then a few really busy months. If that coincides with your personal life than it can be stressful. Also, there are a lot of times when you need to be prepared to change projects quickly, It can be frustrating when you begin a project and have it cancelled right before it is completed. During our busy periods that happens more often. It's impotent to keep good records not only because the legal stuff, but also because during slow periods it's nice to pick up a half finished project and get it done. Management does argue at times about resource allocation. That's a bit annoying. I think once upon a time the company promoted from within, but since I've been here most of the Scientists and Business Dev. people have been outside hires. The RA's get a number added to their title about ever year but there has not been an RA of any level promoted to a scientist of any level, even for the ones with MA degrees, since I've been here. I have seen a scientist earn a directors title since I've been here. Also, a lot of our equipment is very old and breaks often. Sometimes we need to push back meetings by a few days so we can wait for a machine to be fixed.

Advice to Management

Apple Cider vinegar and red wine in a closed cup with a tiny hole. Volker had said something about using Word templates when creating documents. I think that is a great idea. Someone should be in charge of making those and saving them in an accessible location - the RA's do not have time to create new report formats while recording their work. Also, Filemaker is a Dinosaur-- RAAWWWRRR get rid of it. Invest in some new equipment... not new to the company, new to the world. It will save us a lot of time. Advertise new jobs internally first; promoting from within will help our employee retention rate.

"Very Relaxed Environment"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Morgan Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Morgan Hill, CA

I have been working at Amunix (More than 3 years)

Pros

The laboratory environment is very friendly and relaxed. They are reasonably flexible about work hours. Lunch is provided on a daily basis. The lunchroom has a stocked kitchen and a few espresso machines. Some very likable people work at Amunix.

While the company is small and cannot offer what a larger company might, they are very giving with what they have. They try to do well by their employees. It is a good place for a first job, or a very relaxed down-the-line job.

The senior employees are very willing to teach. There's a lot of opportunity to changes focus, should you feel the need. The research and production groups are very fluid. This is a good place to expand your skill set.

Cons

The office environment is a lot less relaxed. That can be unpleasant.

"Great Start Up Atmosphere"

I have been working at Amunix full-time

Pros

-Intelligent, caring and collaborative employees
    -Good work-life balance
    -Ability to learn new areas and try new things
    -Good opportunity for growth
    -Employees are recognized for a job well done
    -Good benefits/compensation for a small company
    -In general great place to work-no place is perfect

Cons

-Needs more investment on programs to help the efficiency, i.e. less manual tasks (typical small company problem)
    -More senior level management to bring the company to product development
    -Hard to move up once you have been promoted (not a lot of job titles above you)

Advice to Management

-Spend more time on employee development and mentoring, especially new managers
    -Invest in employee education/conference attendance
    -Invest more on marketing
    -Pay attention to the pitfalls of the organization and come up with a strategy to fix them
    -Make sure all upper management is open to new ideas and does not make others feel small
    -Drive product forward