Amyris Reviews | Glassdoor

Amyris Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Melo

Pros
  • People are nice, very glad to help (in 4 reviews)

• Great science and R&D organization (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Unnecessary tight deadlines, and inefficiency created by the management, requires people to work long hours, holidays and weekend (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management who are unfamiliar with technology set up impossible goal based only on economic calculation (in 3 reviews)

1. "a fun place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist I in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

interesting science, good people, free lunch,

Cons

sometimes difficult to work as a team as some people tended to keep info to themselves.

Advice to Management

when an employee is on Family Medical Leave their workload should be reduced not increased

"Sr Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent collaboration at the scientist level.
    Science is amazingly complex and sophisticated.

Cons

New leadership is totally disconnected with what the company was all about.
    Science may not be enough to commercialize viable products

Advice to Management

Stop painting a rosy picture and get real

"Great products, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Amyris (More than a year)

Pros

Pro - great products, great people, great environment

Cons

Cons - no clear strategic priorities, burn-out employees

"Trade good experience for stress"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist III in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist III in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really nice coworkers
    Doing positive impact work
    Interesting science
    Employees are well fed
    Lots of opportunity to expand your skill-set, so much work to be done that you can go after just about any issue and the company will support it

Cons

Lack of company focus (priorities change way too fast)
    Politics are a problem
    Long term employees fatigued by over promises
    Stock has no value
    After 12 years, still looks financially risky
    Company hesitates to replace staff leaving employees overloaded with work
    Company culture changing faster than employees are able to accept

Advice to Management

Management is top heavy, employees complain that management has no idea what really goes on in the trenches. - Executives should spend more time with their mid level managers.
    Money is spent in $10K increments on things executives find important and employees are held back from spending $1K on more practical things. Penny wise, pound foolish. - Allow managers more autonomy for practical purchases, rethink/review expenditures exceeding $10K.
    Culture is changing to be less focused on supporting employees who create results and more on results alone. - Employees are not ready for corporatization just yet, slow down. Allow time for employees to digest before rolling out next corporate-like initiative.

"Scientist I"

Former Contractor - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent scientific team. Very interesting and challenging science. Open intellectual environment. Abundant opportunities to develop personal projects into company priorities. Top-university level of science, excellent problem-solving approaches. Excellent bioinformatics and computational support: excellent record keeping, databases, information handling.

Cons

The main problem is that the company is not profitable and struggles to retain and recruit talent for this reason. It is widely known that they have no clear path to profitability. A recent attempt to become a cosmetics and cleaning products company with its own brands seems to have been taken without much consideration to the challenges involved. Much of the little money available have been shifted to the brand development area from the research side of the company, where their strengths are.
    Besides funding issues, these are other cons:
    Management overtly preoccupied with managerial duties to the detriment of problem-solving and science. Management lacks appreciation for talent and skill. Untalented people with soft skills get promoted to management positions while people with scientific talent is left behind.
    Separately, the company struggles to find a place and a career path for non-PhD people. They half-promised them a path to be promoted to scientists, without giving this enough thought. There is no scientific training being given to them, which naturally leads to them not getting the skills needed for the promised promotion.

Advice to Management

Re-think who makes a good manager.

7. "Great science and lots of work to do and to learn"

Former Contractor - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I had to know great people who are doing great science. Amyris is something between industry and academia. Since most people over there, have their first job after the postdoc or grad school, the learning culture is in the air.
    People work long sometimes but it is not crazy.

They have 3 days free lunch, Friday happy hour and Monday breakfast.

Cons

As a contractor, I had issues with how the company decided to renew my contract and the end to end my contract. Till the last minute, nothing was really clear.
    At the time I was there, we had to write monthly report every month as well as weekly update which I found it too much!
    There are many meeting sometimes that can affect how things can be done.

8. "Great people but VC-led with no market experience"

Former Employee - Business in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Business in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time

Pros

Culture and people are awesome. Great perks and supportive colleagues that you can talk turkey with and have a few beers

Cons

Classic example of VC-led company. Low in operations experience/execution and understanding of product verticals. Some people are VERY political

Advice to Management

Management has already been shaken up a bunch. VCs (John Doerr) are trying to maintain their reputation so I presume they'll just keep financing their way to a John Doerr exit that's not too much of a blemish

"Great science, poor management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The scientists are truly first rate. These are some of the best strain engineers in the world. Everyone in Research is encouraged to experiment outside of standard project plans and to follow their own intuitions.

Cons

The company is very, very management heavy, especially at the top layer. The majority of the personnel at the top layer are not very good at their jobs, nor do they spend any effort in nurturing the careers of the people below them. The overall culture seems accepting and fun on the outside, but on the inside, there's an incredible amount of dishonesty and politics involved with nearly every major decision. Boundaries are poorly delineated and people fight over them constantly.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the executives who don't contribute high value and who are not helping grow the talents of the company. Invest in the futures of the lower-level staff or they're going to leave. Replace the senior HR official(s) with true employee advocates that mid-level managers and lower can trust to help them. Remove the last remaining founder, as he is manic, unfocused, and does nothing but disrupt important work and cause problems while pulling down an oversized salary.

"So much potential, but disappointing overall"

I have been working at Amyris full-time

Pros

Mission driven company. Truly providing benefit by creating renewably sourced ingredients. Lots of innovation, science-backed.

Cons

Upper management is poor. Very short sighted. Do not take care of their employees. Little room for up word mobility. Focus is on sales growth, regardless of the personal and professional impact on employees.

"Company Mission is Great, Work environment is Stressful"

Pros

Company mission is about sustainability. Lots of great products that are great for the environment. People are bright and hard-working.

Cons

Seems like the company is throwing darts to find the best direction. Many of the businesses are not profitable. It makes for a stressful work environment as priorities keep changing.