Amyris Reviews | Glassdoor

Amyris Reviews

John Melo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No transparency from upper management, seems like they intentionally want to keep you in the dark and make sure you do not grow by learning new things (in 4 reviews)

"So much potential, but disappointing overall"

I have been working at Amyris full-time

Pros

Mission driven company. Truly providing benefit by creating renewably sourced ingredients. Lots of innovation, science-backed.

Cons

Upper management is poor. Very short sighted. Do not take care of their employees. Little room for up word mobility. Focus is on sales growth, regardless of the personal and professional impact on employees.

2. "a fun place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist I in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

interesting science, good people, free lunch,

Cons

sometimes difficult to work as a team as some people tended to keep info to themselves.

Advice to Management

when an employee is on Family Medical Leave their workload should be reduced not increased

"Sr Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent collaboration at the scientist level.
    Science is amazingly complex and sophisticated.

Cons

New leadership is totally disconnected with what the company was all about.
    Science may not be enough to commercialize viable products

Advice to Management

Stop painting a rosy picture and get real

"Company Mission is Great, Work environment is Stressful"

Pros

Company mission is about sustainability. Lots of great products that are great for the environment. People are bright and hard-working.

Cons

Seems like the company is throwing darts to find the best direction. Many of the businesses are not profitable. It makes for a stressful work environment as priorities keep changing.

"Great products, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Amyris (More than a year)

Pros

Pro - great products, great people, great environment

Cons

Cons - no clear strategic priorities, burn-out employees

"Trade good experience for stress"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist III in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist III in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really nice coworkers
    Doing positive impact work
    Interesting science
    Employees are well fed
    Lots of opportunity to expand your skill-set, so much work to be done that you can go after just about any issue and the company will support it

Cons

Lack of company focus (priorities change way too fast)
    Politics are a problem
    Long term employees fatigued by over promises
    Stock has no value
    After 12 years, still looks financially risky
    Company hesitates to replace staff leaving employees overloaded with work
    Company culture changing faster than employees are able to accept

Advice to Management

Management is top heavy, employees complain that management has no idea what really goes on in the trenches. - Executives should spend more time with their mid level managers.
    Money is spent in $10K increments on things executives find important and employees are held back from spending $1K on more practical things. Penny wise, pound foolish. - Allow managers more autonomy for practical purchases, rethink/review expenditures exceeding $10K.
    Culture is changing to be less focused on supporting employees who create results and more on results alone. - Employees are not ready for corporatization just yet, slow down. Allow time for employees to digest before rolling out next corporate-like initiative.

"Mixed feelings..."

I worked at Amyris full-time

Pros

-Most people are top notch.
    -Feel good mission to replace fossil fuel, save the sharks, etc.
    -Free food and drink in the cafeteria.

Cons

-Business model is a little too idealistic. Hard to beat the price of drilling a hole in the ground and filling barrels with crude oil.
    -Did not treat employees with respect during downsizing. Got the pink slip in the morning and was expected to pack and clear out that afternoon. Felt like a pile of garbage getting dumped at the curb.

Advice to Management

There is optimism, and then there is idealism bordering on naivety. Honestly evaluate the cost of biofuel vs. real operating cost of big oil. The recent drop in oil price is not helping matter.

"Scientist I"

Former Contractor - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA
    Former Contractor - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent scientific team. Very interesting and challenging science. Open intellectual environment. Abundant opportunities to develop personal projects into company priorities. Top-university level of science, excellent problem-solving approaches. Excellent bioinformatics and computational support: excellent record keeping, databases, information handling.

Cons

The main problem is that the company is not profitable and struggles to retain and recruit talent for this reason. It is widely known that they have no clear path to profitability. A recent attempt to become a cosmetics and cleaning products company with its own brands seems to have been taken without much consideration to the challenges involved. Much of the little money available have been shifted to the brand development area from the research side of the company, where their strengths are.
    Besides funding issues, these are other cons:
    Management overtly preoccupied with managerial duties to the detriment of problem-solving and science. Management lacks appreciation for talent and skill. Untalented people with soft skills get promoted to management positions while people with scientific talent is left behind.
    Separately, the company struggles to find a place and a career path for non-PhD people. They half-promised them a path to be promoted to scientists, without giving this enough thought. There is no scientific training being given to them, which naturally leads to them not getting the skills needed for the promised promotion.

Advice to Management

Re-think who makes a good manager.

"Not a bad place to work for."

I have been working at Amyris full-time

Pros

Great location. Talented people. Good restaurants for lunch.

Cons

Long way to profitability. Long hours.

"Great Science, good people,crappy exec. team"

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

Pros

The science that we're exploring is incredibly unique. We've come a long way with our technology and our ability to scale up has been impressive. Amyris has a great R&D department and the culture is incredible. It's a privilege to work along side some of the best science minds i've ever encountered.

Cons

There is a lot of confusion created by the executive team in terms of the direction of our company. It seems like we change our business goals every quarter. There is not much visibility created by the executive team and it always seems like we might be on the verge of running out of money, which is very unsettling.

Advice to Management

Allow more visibility into the goals of the company. Allow the culture of the company to persist by not eliminating certain aspects of our happy hour.