Anadarko Petroleum Reviews | Glassdoor

Anadarko Petroleum President & CEO R. A. Walker
R. A. Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lay off when oil and gas prices are down (in 11 reviews)

• The last thing is the core values (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work life balance is quite amazing. The environment allows you to become your best and work in peace. I would definitely recommend working here.

Cons

There are not too many cons that come to mind. The company is pretty well rounded overall. The environment is amazing and the pay is competitive.

Advice to Management

The company overall is amazing. The most difficult part is advancement because people don't tend to retire much here! I for sure understand why.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Great Benefits - we actually have a pension plan and added benefits this year - Back up dependent care and Lifelock.
    Great People - very intelligent and caring
    Very flexible work place

Cons

There really are none - employees are treated well. I think there was an entrenched "old" APC culture that really started to go away after the KMG merger.

Advice to Management

Remember to value the regular staff, not just the petrotechs - we all contribute every day to the success of the company.

"A truly great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Anadarko has embraced a corporate culture based on valuing employees. I have never encountered the level of executive communication with employees I enjoyed at Anadarko. Jim Hackett earns the respect and admiration of his employees. He is nothing short of inspiring. Hard working, talented people are recognized and appreciated usually, depending on your supervisor, and Anadarko has taken great care to appoint people with management skills to serve as their managers. The pay is competitive for the Houston oil industry, and they share the profit through generous bonuses based on individual plus company performance. The physical work environment is unrivalled. Work-life balance is not just a myth at Anadarko. You won't miss a little league game, and you'll always find time for a workout with the fitness center and running paths around the building. If you can get in - go for it.

Cons

It's still a corporation. Though Anadarko does a good job of encouraging openness and communication, you must still watch your tongue. My only gripe with Anadarko is that at the very top levels, "Yes" men tend to survive longer than those who are outspoken and challenge the status quo, particularly vis a vis a certain individual (not Jim Hackett) who seem to govern by fiat. If he doesn't like you, you're out. While iInput is appreciated and expected, resistance is not tolerated. Take care not to buy into the "you can say anything" lull, as it will eventually catch up with you. Overall, however, and certainly at the mid-levels, openness and candor are appreciated.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Value a little dissent. Your employees who are brave enough to offer a different perspective are your most valuable asset.

4. "Great company, great experience"

Former Employee - Accounting Intern III in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern III in Denver, CO

Pros

Great exposure to the oil & gas industry, not just for accounting but operationally as well. Fantastic experience and highly recommended.

Cons

It is big oil, and the stigma goes along with it. If you have environmental friends and family, you might want to take a second look.

Advice to Management

It would be advantageous to keep in contact with the interns in the interim between recruiting and on-boarding. Providing resources to expand the intern's exposure to the industry before Day 1 would be helpful.

5. "My experience at Anadarko has been supportive and fulfilling."

Current Employee - Division Order Analyst II in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Division Order Analyst II in Denver, CO

Pros

Anadarko always puts their employees FIRST. They give generous time off and are very supportive of a work/life balance. They also encourage personal and professional advancement.

Cons

The different cultures between Houston and Denver can make things a little difficult at times, but it is usually not enough to stifle productivity.

Advice to Management

The only recommendation I would make to leadership at Anadarko would be to be more open to the idea of working from home. As a working mom, there are days when it is difficult to get in for one reason or another and it would be nice to know I have the support of the company to work from home.

"You'd be hard-pressed to find another company as fantastic"

Current Employee - ITS Analyst in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - ITS Analyst in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Lots of money

Tons of perks

Pension plan

2 annual bonus plans: individual and company performance based

Gorgeous campus in The Woodlands with 3 gyms and a 12th floor basketball court (under construction in the new tower)

No less than 4 weeks vacation time based on AGE not experience

Community involvement: everyone volunteers for a variety of causes

Very diverse environment; many high-level women and minorities

ETHICS AND MORALS.
    The company is run off of the stated values. All reviews are based on how you lived the values. This fosters a collaborative environment where everyone is quick to pass the credit where credit is due. I've never experienced such a team-oriented workplace.

Cons

Some departments are rumored to not experience the above blissful experiences. That is unfortunate; they are by far the minority.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't lose sight of humanity. Well taken care of employees return considerable value.

"Challenging, rewarding, work environment based on strong fundamental values"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(engineer) Can't say enough good things about APC....compensation/benefits are outstanding, work/life balance is actually generous, opportunities are abounding if you seek them out, job crafting is yours to make. Responsibility is enormous (not a place for someone who wants to coast) and you will often find yourself wear pants sizes 2-3 sizes too big (metaphorically speaking), however, help is available when needed.

The core values are lived out and our performance reviews are based against these

Cons

Personally its hard for me to say anything negative....I have seen other dissatisfied reviews from other departments and that's unfortunate, however, it seems like the vast majority of these reviews are coming from interns and contractors. I have not met another direct hire that seemed unsatisfied, it does seem that APC needs to focus more on these other key areas, we do rely heavily on our contractors. Not in my department, but I have seen other contract personnel treated unfairly and this should never happen, when we do this we cut our own throats

However, contractors in my department are treated as equals, given the same amount of responsibility. etc...

Advice to Management

Great job! Inspiring leaders living out core values

Focus on treatment of contractors and interns

"Staff ITS Administrator"

Current Employee - Staff ITS Administrator in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Staff ITS Administrator in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Balance of work and life. Excellent Benefit. Impact in small company setting.

Cons

Less technical challenge for IT as supporting role.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent works yo udo.

"Anadarko"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Anadarkonis great company. It is very a nimble company that empowers its employees. The executive management team is second to none.

Cons

Anadarko Petroloeum is a growing company and may be losing some of what has made it great. There must be a concerted effort to remain nimble.

"Fantastic company!"

Current Employee - Senior ITS Administrator in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Senior ITS Administrator in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Impact, Schedule, Peers, Culture, Comp

Cons

i have found no cons

Advice to Management

no advice