Analysis Group Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Analysis Group President & CEO Martha S. Samuelson
Martha S. Samuelson

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough but it comes with the territory (in 37 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of advancement (in 23 reviews)

1. "Can be a great experience"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Analysis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people and good variety of case work.

Cons

It's easy to get stuck with cases that drag on for years and frequently require grueling hours. Also, it's easy to end up with a lack of variety of case work. There is a strong culture of nepotism at the firm which I found discouraging.

Advice to Management

Try to staff such that analysts have lighter work weeks between excruciating deadlines. The non-managed labor market for analysts can mean that some analysts never get to work on the cases they might have liked to.

"Let's Be Real"

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time

Pros

Coolers with free drinks of all kinds, and tons of free snacks.
    Nice office and good powerful flushing toilets.
    Nice people.

Cons

Much of company's work involves working for investment banks (Wall Street crooks) and big pharma (drug price gougers). A recent case involves defending a paint company whose lead paint affected kids' health. I guess it is a way to make a living. Just don't think too much about who we are defending.

3. "Overall, great internship experience"

Former Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Analysis Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

HR plans a lot of events to make you enjoy the internship; engaging work; learn a lot of hard skills - SAS, Excel, Stata, etc.

Cons

Poor feedback and professional development; unclear expectations and guidelines; occasionally long hours

Advice to Management

Provide clearer expectations and better feedback to interns

5. "Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Analyst Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Analyst Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Analysis Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environemnt, fun people

Cons

actual work can depend a lot on the case you end up on

Advice to Management

continue to keep the strong culture of the company and consider allowing new employees more freedom to choose their own case.

"Good Spot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are rigorous, super smart and challenge me intellectually in ways I haven't seen elsewhere. Partnership is very invested in the firm and its culture. Despite being a firm where billable hours are important to the economics of the place, consulting staff is tremendously giving towards time spent developing less experiences colleagues and to internal firm initiatives. Well run, smart, and successful business that I am proud to be a part of.

Cons

Pace of work is steep and you need to be prepared for that. Must be comfortable with a firm that really values consensus- there is sometimes a tradeoff as regards the pace of change and progress because of this, but at the benefit of a generally higher quality, more thoughtful result.

"Solid company, good culture"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great, management cares about your development. Some people on here complain about the culture but I think its really what you make of it.

Cons

Work-life balance is tough but it comes with the territory.

"Its a good place to work at."

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice. They do really interesting cases.

Cons

They are falling behind on compensation benefits compared to their competitors.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslindale, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslindale, MA

I worked at Analysis Group (More than a year)

Pros

Work is interesting, they care about their employees, great benefits and competitive salary

Cons

Expected to work long hours, work sometimes gets tedious. No promotions unless you have MBA or Masters

"Smart and Kind Colleagues"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every firm strives for values and culture it can't quite achieve. However, compared to other firms I have worked at, the partners at Analysis Group make a genuine effort towards these goals. The people here are smart, kind, and understanding. The partners are friendly and approachable, and some of them are really great about providing active mentoring. The firm is very meritocratic. Because you are not assigned to a specific partner and there is no central case assignment system, the quality of your work will depend on what kind of cases you will be able to work on and the types of responsibilities you will get. If you are doing great, the word will spread quickly, and you will be sought after. If you are struggling, managers may be understanding, but it may become harder for you find interesting work and challenging assignments, especially due to budget and time constraints on projects.

Other small benefits are great. The kitchen is always stocked with organic fresh fruit, breakfast and snack items, and all sorts of drinks. There are often free food and lunch around. The office spaces are modern and well-taken care of.

Training at the Boston office is very well-organized. I think other offices do not have any much formal training.

Cons

- Work-life balance is challenging at sometimes. However, unless I am really needed physically at the office, I do feel the freedom to leave and log back in at home. Most managers are fine with it as long as you are effectively doing your job and meeting deadlines.
    - Attorneys and experts in some cases can have very difficult personalities. It's the nature of the service industry to put up with their idiosyncratic preferences and cater to their whim. Many clients are great to work with it, but some can have unreasonable demands. Again, this is the downside of litigation consulting, not anything specific to Analysis Group.

Advice to Management

- The lack of a central case assignment system means that there are informational asymmetries. It can take a while to find new projects after you are finished with one. The company can do a better job of coordinating work and connecting individuals with availability with managers looking to staff their cases.

11. "Economic Consulting"

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working alongside focused, intelligent, and diligent economic minds. Many opportunities to develop programming, statistical, model building skills. Excellent introduction to big data.

Cons

At its best, it's fascinating work from the meta (economic theory, major industry players, precident setting litigations) to the minutia (modeling development, programming, document reviews). At its worst, it's long hours of rather droll work.