Analysis Group Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Analysis Group President & CEO Martha S. Samuelson
Martha S. Samuelson

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough but it comes with the territory (in 36 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of advancement (in 22 reviews)

1. "Great Place for PhD"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is very interesting and complex (in a good sense). I see many useful applications of my PhD training to real-world cases.

Cons

Nothing about AG in particular. The workload may be unpredictable at times, but this is a general characteristic of the consulting industry.

Advice to Management

AG is a great place to work because of your hard work.

2. "Great employer"

Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very fun environment to be challenged and work hard with very smart and talented individuals who are all passionate about the work.

Cons

It is very demanding to meet the needs of this company as their work is at a very high level.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Awesome place to start or build a career. Not for everyone? Sure."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Internally, have done a great job over many years of consistently hiring smart, interesting, multi-dimensional, kind people.

Junior staff have designed training programs (both on analytical software and more generally) that are tailored to our work and provide a fantastic foundation for those working their first job out of college. Culture is built on junior staff delivering those training programs and otherwise making big contributions outside of casework by mentoring, recruiting, and so on. Firm has grown steadily but is still small enough (and style of management has remained loose enough) that new ideas from anyone can get traction. As an example, support for those applying to grad school is something that grew organically from a culture in which senior staff were happy to write recommendations and advise on essays to a formal workshop in which people invest a ton of time.

Externally, clients come to us with problems they can’t solve themselves or know little about, and we get to invent the research and analytical methods to tackle those problems, often working with top-tier academic experts along the way. Long-term relationships with law firms and companies that rely on not only our data-crunching but also our expertise and advice. Compared to other types of consulting, because we’re often looking backward, we get to work with much more hard/big data. This builds skills that, for those who don’t make a career here, are increasingly sought after on the market.

Cons

Some cons are true of any client work: somewhat unpredictable demand, and sometimes having to give in on decisions you disagree with.

Some cons cited in other reviews are pros for me, but remind me that this place isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK. I enjoy working with detailed data -- playing around in a spreadsheet or catching a calculation error by an opposing expert is fun for me. If you don’t feel that way, or you’re not the kind of person who cares about getting the (perhaps unimportant) details right, or you want a guaranteed 9-to-5, you won’t be happy here. (That said, lack of travel compared to other consulting is the reason so many people can continue here long-term knowing they’ll see their families for dinner on a near-daily basis. Late nights, when they happen, are a result of case needs and not of face-time expectations.)

Flexible/employee-driven staffing model gives much more initiative and can lead to fantastic outcomes that a top-down staffing model couldn’t achieve (e.g., a bunch of people volunteering to pitch in at a deadline, and some of them discovering a new practice area they continue to work in). On the other hand, though there is a system of support for those who need help with staffing, those who are prone to anxiety under uncertainty or for whom some choice just makes the grass seem greener on other cases will see the drawbacks and not the benefits.

More holistic employee evaluations, without a fixed formula for compensation, are to me a huge pro -- the alternative would create pernicious incentives around billing and hurt the culture of helping each other out -- but for others a frustration in terms of the time commitment and level of qualitative judgment involved.

Advice to Management

I'm not a partner, nor was I asked to write this review. After reading what’s here I was motivated to give some balance between the perspective of the many happy people who have made long-term careers at AG vs. those for whom it doesn’t work out and who post disgruntled reviews upon leaving. The firm should listen to and learn as much as it can from the latter group, but as in the “cons” section above should keep in mind that some of the characteristics that are common complaints among those who are unhappy are the very same characteristics that make others happy.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very interesting work for those who are interested in applying economics theories/tools to real-life situations. AG has a very collegial and supportive environment. You will be surrounded by smart people who are also fantastic to work with.

Cons

The hours may be unpredictable sometimes, but this applies to the consulting industry as a whole. In fact, most of the case managers at AG do a pretty good job balancing the workloads for the team members.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Analysis Group just over three months in an administrative position. Although I can’t comment on the consulting experience, I can say that overall I have had a positive experience at Analysis Group (AG). When I first came to AG, people kept mentioning the culture and how it was laid back yet professional. I didn’t believe it until about 2 months in, when I realized that it really was that way! Having come from a very hierarchal previous employer, where ego and title trumped good ideas and conversation, working at AG has been a relief. Because of the more casual atmosphere, you can find Managing Partners talking to Analysts in the hallway and even have friendly conversations with the CEO, who you will see walking around the hallways. People are friendly and like to have a good time. There is constantly free food around and a ping pong table in case you need to blow off the steam. I hope prospective candidates will read this and know that they will be in good hands at AG, with interesting case work, friendly colleagues, and competitive pay/benefits.

Cons

I think the consulting career path can be tough on work/life balance, but you will encounter these issues at any consulting company. AG offers many benefits to employees to help manage this balance and HR is always helpful should there be any problems.

7. "Really good"

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

good learning opportunities and good benefits. really good culture.

Cons

this is a very niche industry.

"Great Company, Great Culture"

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time

Pros

AG's culture is really what sets it apart from other similar firms. Senior staff truly care about the employees and are actively involved in the development of every employee. The people at AG are very friendly, hard-working and intelligent, and there are also great benefits and employee perks, which really make AG a great place to work.

Cons

The hours can sometimes be long and unpredictable, but that is also the nature of consulting.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time

Pros

Intelligent and hard-working colleagues, great employee perks and a friendly, collaborative, environment make AG an excellent place to work and develop your career & grow personally and professionally. The senior level consultants and partners take a genuine interest in the day to day of goings on of the firm which speaks a lot to the firm and the culture.

Cons

Work schedule can be unpredictable at times, but as is the nature of consulting/professional services.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

AG promotes a collaborative culture from the top down. Partners care about the employees like a family so they try to make the experiences here as rich with experience and kindness as possible. It also helps that the company has some great ancillary benefits such as our annual ski trip, the company holiday party and frequent happy hours and parties to get to know your colleagues.

Cons

Due to the nature of consulting, hours can be unpredictable but this is how the consulting world works. If you have a love of the work, this is one of the few downsides to the role and it isn't specific just to AG.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow, continue to manage the firm with heart. I think that is a unique aspect of a firm like AG and it sets us apart from the competition.

"vice president"

Former Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

Pros

great place to work all the time

Cons

I have no cons good place to work